General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could be relocating to Columbia Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-31 3:53 PM

User image

Regular
Columbia, SC
Subject: Could be relocating to Columbia
There's a chance I'll be relocating to Columbia soon. What is the area like for running(trails?) and riding? Are there many races in the area? Any paved bike trails? Thanks.

Chris

2010-01-01 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2586867

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Could be relocating to Columbia
There are places to run on trails (Harbison forest, Congaree swamp, Sesquicentennial State Park, to name a few).  There are also plenty of safe quiet neighborhoods where running on the street is not a problem.

Paved bike trails ... not so much.  There is a paved trail at the river.  It is only about 3 miles long, and it can get pretty busy on a nice weekend day.  I wouldn't try to do any real training on a bike there, although I've seen people doing it.  (It is good for running, though.)  Most people who live in the city bike regularly at Fort Jackson.  They have a very nice policy about cyclists -- cyclists are free to bike at the Fort provided they wear a helmet and bring ID to get in the gate.  There are good roads there (also some bad ones...), varied terrain, and the vehicular traffic is minimal on the back roads and not so bad elsewhere apart from the main artery into the Fort (which is not the way in that most cyclists use -- you can avoid this road entirely).  The drivers on the base are extremely polite and mindful of cyclists.

In addition to Fort Jackson, there are lots of country roads where biking is relatively safe and fun, though inevitably you will eventually encounter some yahoo who thinks it's funny to honk his horn or whatever.

All in all, I think it is a pretty good area for training.

Edited by Experior 2010-01-01 9:49 AM
2010-01-27 8:03 PM

User image

Regular
Clinton, TN
Don't know if you are here are not, but for riding I would get with one of the groups that ride out of the bike shops. There are several that ride in the rual areas around Columbia.

Lot of runners all around town. Pretty safe in that regard.

Swimming is something I haven't been able to get a good read on. Lot's of people join gyms for the pools. Lake Murray is huge and I haven't braved the crowds there yet.

Hope this helps and good luck.
2010-01-27 11:08 PM

User image

Regular
Chris, let me be the first smiling face to welcome you to SC.  Secondly, when someone asks you if your a Tiger or Gamecock, the answer is I'm Orange all the way! 

Go Tigers!
V/r
~LT Chanko
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could be relocating to Columbia Rss Feed