General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noob needs help with training basics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-31 6:20 PM

New user

North Conway, NH
Subject: Noob needs help with training basics
Hello everyone : )  Thanks for taking the time to help out the new folks.  A little history here:  I'm 32 years old and have finally succeeded in taking eating and exercising seriously.   In the past year, I've dropped from 237lbs to 189lbs, primarily by running and eating much better food than I have in my lifetime.

I've always been a cyclist and have done long event rides and regular riding.  After I started to enjoy the running, I decided that I WILL do a tri at the end of this summer, and have started to "train" more, adding swimming at the local gym into the mix.

The problem is, I have NO idea if I'm doing the right stuff with running in particular.  For a bit of info, I tend to run about 4 miles, currently taking about 33 minutes to finish.  My heart rate stays between 160 and 174 the whole time, which I'm beginning to think is too high, but it hasn't caused me any trouble.  If I sprint in the middle of my run, my HR spikes to 185ish and I have to back off.

Should I be training at lower HRs?  Do I need to book a personal trainer to learn some more?  Or should I just keep pushing until spring and worry about it then?  My swimming is terrible but I'm working on it, my biking is excellent, but the running seems to confuse my body (partially since I rarely exercised for the last 8 years except event rides and snowboarding).

Thank you for any advice!  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Dave

2010-01-01 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2587089

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Noob needs help with training basics
BaseLodge - 2009-12-31 6:20 PM Hello everyone : )  Thanks for taking the time to help out the new folks.  A little history here:  I'm 32 years old and have finally succeeded in taking eating and exercising seriously.   In the past year, I've dropped from 237lbs to 189lbs, primarily by running and eating much better food than I have in my lifetime.

Congrats on your weight loss!  As for heart rate, the general rule I hear for distance running is slow down to the point you could carry a conversation.  That probably means a lower heart rate for you.  I built up from running 3 miles 2-3 times per week to running my first 1/2 mary last year by concentrating on how many minutes I ran, not the speed.  The second important rule is not to increase your distance by more than 10% per week. 
2010-01-01 2:43 PM

New user

North Conway, NH
Thanks, Ransick-

Definitely can't hold a conversation at my current pace but if I back off slightly I'll be in fine shape.  I appreciate the info : )

Dave
2010-01-01 3:51 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
BaseLodge - 2009-12-31 7:20 PM Hello everyone : )  Thanks for taking the time to help out the new folks.  A little history here:  I'm 32 years old and have finally succeeded in taking eating and exercising seriously.   In the past year, I've dropped from 237lbs to 189lbs, primarily by running and eating much better food than I have in my lifetime.

I've always been a cyclist and have done long event rides and regular riding.  After I started to enjoy the running, I decided that I WILL do a tri at the end of this summer, and have started to "train" more, adding swimming at the local gym into the mix.

The problem is, I have NO idea if I'm doing the right stuff with running in particular.  For a bit of info, I tend to run about 4 miles, currently taking about 33 minutes to finish.  My heart rate stays between 160 and 174 the whole time, which I'm beginning to think is too high, but it hasn't caused me any trouble.  If I sprint in the middle of my run, my HR spikes to 185ish and I have to back off.

Should I be training at lower HRs?  Do I need to book a personal trainer to learn some more?  Or should I just keep pushing until spring and worry about it then?  My swimming is terrible but I'm working on it, my biking is excellent, but the running seems to confuse my body (partially since I rarely exercised for the last 8 years except event rides and snowboarding).

Thank you for any advice!  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Dave

Congrats on the weightloss Dave!  What you probably want to do is get a mixure of speedwork, distance and heart rate training.  It's going to make a big difference what distance you want to do, but heart rate training is definitely important no matter if you're doing a sprint or an IM.  If you want a training schedule, just let me know.  I'm following one now and it tells you exaclty what to keep your heart rate at and it makes working out a little more interesting.  The first thing you should do is establish a maximum heart rate.  The workouts typically tell you to run x number of minutes at a percent of your max heart rate.  If you don't have someone to establish a max heart rate, you could always use 220 minus your age.  So your MHR would be 188.  Welcome to the sport!
2010-01-04 6:34 AM

New user

North Conway, NH
Thanks, J!
I may take you up on that training plan offer.  I have a meeting with a personal trainer who's going to get me started so I can get into the Spring properly and get a correct max HR for my winter gym training.  After that I've got the the wonderful MWV hills and the Saco River endless pool to add into the mix   I have to admit, I'm getting pretty pumped for all of this, even with it being months away.
Thanks for the help!
Dave
2010-01-04 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2591838

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
BaseLodge - 2010-01-04 7:34 AM Thanks, J!
I may take you up on that training plan offer.  I have a meeting with a personal trainer who's going to get me started so I can get into the Spring properly and get a correct max HR for my winter gym training.  After that I've got the the wonderful MWV hills and the Saco River endless pool to add into the mix   I have to admit, I'm getting pretty pumped for all of this, even with it being months away.
Thanks for the help!
Dave

Sounds good!  The hills are my weak point.  Being next to the seacoast makes it easy to stay on the flats.  I need to push myself once the snow melts to get out in the mountains.

2010-01-07 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2588015

User image

NH
BaseLodge - 2010-01-01 3:43 PM Thanks, Ransick-

Definitely can't hold a conversation at my current pace but if I back off slightly I'll be in fine shape.  I appreciate the info : )

Dave

What length tri are you planning?  Depending on whether you're working for a 5k or a 13.1 HIM run, the optimal training will take a very different path.
2010-01-10 8:27 PM

New user

North Conway, NH
Hey Wbayek:

My plan is loosely to do an Olympic in August and a Sprint in November.   I have no particular plan except to complete them : )

I have a first session with a trainer on Tuesday so I should learn more then, but all the info is greatly appreciated!

Dave
2010-01-12 1:03 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
See if you can hook up with the White Mountain Milers. They do stuff all around the Kanc from what I can tell. They seem like a friendly group, though I have zero personal experience with them or their members.

I'm trying to get in to the Mt. Washington Auto Road Race this summer. If you want to get together for some runs, shoot me a PM! But not until the snow clears - I'm sticking inside until people stop sliding off the roads. :D
2010-01-12 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2606643

User image

NH
BaseLodge - 2010-01-10 9:27 PM Hey Wbayek:

My plan is loosely to do an Olympic in August and a Sprint in November.   I have no particular plan except to complete them : )

I have a first session with a trainer on Tuesday so I should learn more then, but all the info is greatly appreciated!

Dave

To do heart rate training, you'll have to establish some heart rate zones, which requires a test to find your threshold.  Don't use the 220-age and then percentages based on that.  Search this site - there are a lot of links to how to do a test and get the heart rate zones.  If you can't find them PM me and I'll find the links.

In any event, the big thing about running is that is a lot easier to sustain injuries with running that biking or swimming, so I would suggest to run at relatively lower paces/heart rates for quite a while.  Eventually you will definitely need to do speed work of some sort, but lower leg injuries will stop training altogether and your number one goal should be to stay healthy while training.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noob needs help with training basics Rss Feed