General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-03-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2686521

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread
I didn't regret using my tri bike last year, but then again, I live in San Francisco and do all my long rides (including very hilly ones) on my tri bike.  There are only a couple climbs and there is plenty of time to benefit being in aero.  I used a 12-27 cassette (running a conventional 53/39 up front) and used my zipp 404 on front and 808 in the back.  Some of the pros were running discs.

2010-03-15 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2604955

Lehigh Valley
Thanks for the great tips. I feel ready for the swim and run, but need to get riding outside. I have a training 1/2 marathon this sunday, then it is weekend rides. I live in a very hilly area and in training for my half last year had no issues with the hills, it is always the run that kills my races, I just do not like training for the run. Escaping will be here in no time.
2010-03-17 10:45 PM

User image

San Rafael, CA
I have booked a swim crossing from Alcatraz Sunday April 25 (1 week before race day) which will follow the same course as The Escape and will jump off the boat at a time to closely match the tides and currents for race day. We can take 4 people, 2 spots are left. If you want to join send me a PM. Cost is $87 each.
2010-03-30 7:23 AM

Lehigh Valley
Wow, this sounds awesome, would like to join you but kind of tough being in PA.
Have fun. 
2010-03-30 7:26 AM

Lehigh Valley
To all participants in the SF area, my wife and I are flying in on thursday prior to the race. We want to hear from the locals about some places to eat, you know the hidden ones that tourists do not typically go to. 
Also, what are the must see's and do's for a couple that has never been to SF?
I appreciate all the input - I am in the process of putting an itinerary together now. 
2010-03-30 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2757194

User image

Master
San Francisco
zukker - 2010-03-30 5:26 AM To all participants in the SF area, my wife and I are flying in on thursday prior to the race. We want to hear from the locals about some places to eat, you know the hidden ones that tourists do not typically go to. 
Also, what are the must see's and do's for a couple that has never been to SF?
I appreciate all the input - I am in the process of putting an itinerary together now. 

Food in San Francisco is a huge question.  Depends what kind of experience you're looking for.  A lot of great ethnic food.  A lot of great seafood.  A lot of haute cuisine.  Good views.  So many options.  Can you narrow it down a bit?  Sounds like you don't want typical touristy stuff, which gives you a lot of options.

2010-03-31 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2757763

Lehigh Valley
We like to experience the local cuisine. Ethnic is good, we like to try what is recommended by the locals, we always like to try new. I love a local mexican and thai place, but will try anything. Wife doesn't eat a whole lot but can usually find something and loves seafood(crab cakes and lobster). I guess if I had to choose a place, I would like to find one with a view and one with food that you will never forget, who cares where it is.
We definitely do not want the touristy stuff - can get that anywhere. We are staying at the Buena Vista Inn on Lombard Street. 
Thanks for your time. 
2010-03-31 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2760243

User image

Master
San Francisco
zukker - 2010-03-31 9:37 AM We like to experience the local cuisine. Ethnic is good, we like to try what is recommended by the locals, we always like to try new. I love a local mexican and thai place, but will try anything. Wife doesn't eat a whole lot but can usually find something and loves seafood(crab cakes and lobster). I guess if I had to choose a place, I would like to find one with a view and one with food that you will never forget, who cares where it is.
We definitely do not want the touristy stuff - can get that anywhere. We are staying at the Buena Vista Inn on Lombard Street. 
Thanks for your time. 

Ethnic food here can also mean Eritrean, Oaxacan, Burmese, Tibetan, Sardinian, Peruvian, German, Indian, Vietnamese, Greek, etc.

Boulevard is a fairly fancy place that is usually tops in the Zagat ratings for popularity.  Nice view, intercontinental cuisine.

There is a swiss fondue place, Matterhorn, not too far from you (I haven't been there in ages though).

If you want something very "San Francisco", you can try AsiaSF (not everyone's cup of tea so google it first), but a pretty unique dining experience.

You are close to the marina and cow hollow neighborhoods which have many, many nice restaurants.  The Tibetan place (Lhasa Moon) is on Lombard, near the Marina neighborhood.

Belden Place is a little hidden alley that has a lot of nice mediterranean restaurants (I like Plouf and love the mussels marniere and pomme frites)

Suppenkuche is a German place with great beer on tap and authentic german food.

Many good sushi places.

There are really so many choices.
2010-03-31 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
I'm suddenly feeling hungry.
2010-04-01 1:47 AM
in reply to: #2760682

User image

Veteran
California
Never been there yet, buy Guy Fieri just did a bit on Pier 23 on "Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives".  Looked like a decent local seafood type place.
2010-04-01 12:14 PM

Lehigh Valley
Thanks again. Just stopped in before I head out for a 30 mile ride and yes I am hungry now also.

2010-04-01 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2760403

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
enginerd - I will be staying in Cow Hollow. You mentioned there were some good restaurants around there? I'll eat pretty much anything...

This will be my second attempt at escaping. Two years ago I found out I had a stress fracture in my foot about 1 week before the race. Since hotel/airfare/etc was already paid for, I decided to go and just do the swim/bike. Had a great swim - fastest female swim split - but foot was bothering me too much on the bike so had to drop out. T1 was interesting...had to hobble 1/2 a mile!

2010-04-05 12:59 PM

User image

New user

Since quite a few of you are veterans, should I be concerned about biting it on the downhills during the bike?  I don't know why this has me so freaked out recently.  I've heard that many riders take the hills fast and with a crowded course, I worry about the sharp turns after descending.  One of the downsides to not being able to train in SF... 

Jellyfish, impressive swim, obviously a strong discipline for you!  

Good luck with the final weeks of training and stay injury free.  
2010-04-06 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2769143

User image

Veteran
California
....  should I be concerned about biting it on the downhills during the bike?  I don't know why this has me so freaked out recently.  I've heard that many riders take the hills fast and with a crowded course, I worry about the sharp turns after descending....   

If at all possible, ride or drive the course ahead of time.  There's really only two sharp corners at the bottom of hills that I can think of right off:

1) A?fter you go through the golf course on way out (Legion of Honor Drive), there will be a right bend, then a sharp right (90 degree) to an uphill (I think Clement Street).  There will be volunteers here yelling at you to slow down.

2) Still on the way out, after you make the climb from the hill you entered as leaving #1 (Clement St?), there will be a short (few blocks) but steep downhill with a sharp left (90 degree) at the bottom.  Again, there will be volunteers warning you.

Basic rule:  If there's a volunteer warning you to slow down, do it.  Otherwise you should be able to handle the other turns no problem.

Good luck!
2010-04-06 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2760403

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
enginerd - 2010-03-31 10:32 AM

Ethnic food here can also mean Eritrean, Oaxacan, Burmese, Tibetan, Sardinian, Peruvian, German, Indian, Vietnamese, Greek, etc.

Boulevard is a fairly fancy place that is usually tops in the Zagat ratings for popularity.  Nice view, intercontinental cuisine.

There is a swiss fondue place, Matterhorn, not too far from you (I haven't been there in ages though).

If you want something very "San Francisco", you can try AsiaSF (not everyone's cup of tea so google it first), but a pretty unique dining experience.

You are close to the marina and cow hollow neighborhoods which have many, many nice restaurants.  The Tibetan place (Lhasa Moon) is on Lombard, near the Marina neighborhood.

Belden Place is a little hidden alley that has a lot of nice mediterranean restaurants (I like Plouf and love the mussels marniere and pomme frites)

Suppenkuche is a German place with great beer on tap and authentic german food.

Many good sushi places.

There are really so many choices.

Don't forget Basil on Folsom btw 7th & 8th Streets - excellent Thai cuisine. And, of course, if you're willing to spend Boulevard $$$, you can't leave SF without eating at The Slanted Door at the Ferry Building. If you're up for French food, and nothing at Belden sounds good, go up Bush St one block to Cafe Claude; we've had excellent dining experiences there. Often they have live jazz at Cafe Claude. Or, if you're looking for a nice place to relax after the race and you want a glass of wine, stop in to Cafe Press.
2010-04-13 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Thanks for the recommendations!

2010-04-17 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2787486

Lehigh Valley
Thanks for all the recommendations, I was busy googling, yelping, etc. today to try and put an itinerary together. 
Also called and updated my hotel reservation, canceled last night as now leaving Sunday at 11pm , yes same as race day. 
Thinking about finding a couples spa for a massage before heading to airport, any help? 

Last request, and thanks again for all the help,  any sight seeing that is a must? 

On to the training - I have been having some really good rides and am swimming 4 days a week now - Monday evening 2 miles, tuesday evening 1 mile, friday morning 2 miles and saturday morning 3 miles. I feel ready for the swim. 
Biking outside has just picked up and I get 1 long ride 50miles at least, 1 midrange 20-30 miles and 1 short ride 12-15 miles a week. Feel like I need a lot more seat time.
Runs are till 1 long on sundays, 8 - 15miles, and 1 short usually tuesday 4 - 6 miles. Run feels good.

Overall feel ready, my transitions are not going so well as my back gets very, very stiff. Not sure what this is, I do have lower back issues but get adjusted to help with that. Increased visits to 2 times a week leading up to race now.

Good training and see you all soon.

2010-04-17 8:17 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Anyone interested in being photographed during the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon?

Today, I photographed a youth triathlon in Oakland, and I had a great time. I plan to be at the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon to practice snapping shots of competitors, and would be happy to get shots of anyone who is interested in being photographed. I typically shoot photos at night or landscapes, so for me, moving objects present a new challenge.

I can be reached at alexr50 at gmail dot com

Edited by betyoursilver 2010-04-17 8:18 PM
2010-04-26 2:40 PM

Lehigh Valley
See you all in a few short days. I travel out thursday for a day or two to relax and adjust to time change. Then its time to Escape. 

2010-04-26 4:06 PM

User image

Good luck everyone!  I'll be there on Friday (and I'll be hoping that my bike makes it safe and sound until then).  I watched "The Rock" last night as preparation for the race.  I think that counts, right? 
2010-04-27 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2817885

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
I'm heading out there on Friday morning too. Hoping to get a swim in at Aquatic Park that afternoon.

Good luck everyone!

2010-04-27 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2817885

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
nycgirl - 2010-04-26 4:06 PM Good luck everyone!  I'll be there on Friday (and I'll be hoping that my bike makes it safe and sound until then).  I watched "The Rock" last night as preparation for the race.  I think that counts, right? 

This sounds like an excellent way to prepare.  I wonder if I can squeeze that movie in with all the packing I still need to do.

I get in Thursday night.  Can't wait!
2010-04-28 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2820042

User image

New user

Cheers to the final days of preparation.  Happy & Safe travels.  I'm hoping to make it over to aquatic park too on Friday afternoon.  I just hope that the 52mph wind gusts on Friday's forecast subside just a bit.  Looks like 66 and sunny with a breeze on Sunday.  Again, we'll hope the breeze waits until 11am or later to pick up.

Best wishes.
J
2010-04-29 1:09 PM

User image

I had to come into town for family reasons yesterday and will stay to watch the race ... I will have my red bike and a jacket that says TTSracing ... look for me (unless I can't stand it and find a relay and do the swim ... sooooooooooooooooo tempting).  And have fun everyone!

2010-05-01 1:44 PM

Lehigh Valley
Had a great ride yesterday, rode the bridge - beautiful ride overall.
Swam today down at the wharf - it was good - not as cold as I had thought, only felt it on my feet for beginning, then got used to it.

I feel ready for a great day tomorrow, going to packet pickup in 30 minutes, cant wait to see the goodies for purchase.

Best of luck to all. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3