Disney World of Sports
30F / -1C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 54m 23s
Overall Rank = 1580/17102
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 182/982
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3 to get a little breakfast, some coffee, figure out what to wear and to the bus at the hotel before 4 am. Decided on UA running tights, a tee shirt, with my Chicago marathon running jacke over topt (hoping it would bring a sudden temp warm up!). I also picked up a couple of cheap hooded sweatshirts for this run and the marathon on Sunday and a rain poncho to have on pre-race. Disney does a good job of gathering up the discarded clothes and cleaning before giving to charity.
Event warmup:

This race is the warm up! But mostly just wandering the gauntlet to get from the bus, to gear drop off (which I didn't use for this race, bad idea!) and to the starting line. Overall probably close to .75 mile of walking. Did some running in place waiting for the start once I was in the corral. They had a DJ playing some music, plus some other entertainment as well. Some dude proposed to his girlfriend before the start too.
Run
  • 1h 54m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

One of the smart things I did was check into qualifying for a better corral when I check in on Thursday. Fortunately my time from the Rochester half moved me from Corral D to Corral B for the half and from C to B for the full. So I had a decent starting spot and when the race started was across the start line fairly quickly. Took the first mile to get up to pace as it was still pretty tight. I ran the first mile with the poncho on and then that became an agravation so I ditched that, ditched the sweatshirt about a mile later. By the 2nd mile the rain started to freeze and it snowed a bit (yes this race is in Florida!) and then it turned to freezing sleet and finally back to rain. Tried to settle into a comfortable pace that would have me finish under 2 hours, but not wear me out for Sundays race. For most of the run I pretty much went by perceived effort as it was dark out so I couldn't see the garmin without lighting it up and I didn't feel like doing that. Turns out that other than mile 1 and 7(not sure what happened there 9:28) every mile was in the 8:35 - 8:45 pace. It was nice to chat with some of the other runners and thank the volunteers without worrying about time. I really felt bad for the volunteers as this race is popular with a lot of folks doing thier first half or first full so the volunteers were standing in the cold rain for a lot longer than they may have at some other races.

Had a good time in the Magic Kingdom, lots of people along the course cheering and the Disney characters out for photo ops! Didn't bring a camera or I would have stopped and had a picture!

Probably the only surprise was that this wasn't as flat as I thought it would be. Not hilly, but there are 2 or 3 over passes and traffic ramps that have a fairly good climb to them.

I am happy with this run!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I had a lot of fun despite the rain. Should have brought a camera!
Post race
Warm down:

This is where the day turned a bit ugly. I didn't bring dry/warm clothes to check in as Connie was going to come to the finish area and bring them with her. Unfortunately, due to traffic, bus confusion, etc. she didn't get to the finish area until about 40 minutes after I finished. The mylar blankets helped some, but was tough with the wind to keep covered. Plus, since she wasn't at the meeting spot, I went looking for her.

Once I finally found her (or she found me) we went right to the bus to get out of the cold rain! Fortunately all the bus drivers are southerners that had the heat cranked!!!

Event comments:

The race was very organized considering its size. Lots of water stops with plenty of volunteers. Post race food was pretty lame considering the size and cost. Bagels and fruit and maybe pizza (i saw the boxes but didn't see it on the table). It would have been nice to have my favorite post race recovery drink, hot chocolate!

Last updated: 2009-02-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:23 | 13.1 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 182/982
Overall: 1580/17102
Performance: Good
Course: Wandering through the Disney facility and a couple of the parks.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-01-13 9:31 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2010-01-13 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2611473

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Half Marathon

Awesome pace, guess being a northerner paid off for running in that slop ....Horrible conditions!

2010-01-13 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Great job for a warmup!

2010-01-13 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Awesome job in less than stellar conditions!  I cannot believe the weather was like that in Florida.  Crazy. 
2010-01-15 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Nice run Ken, especially keeping a steady pace without peeking at Garmin. Sleet, snow, freezing rain just crazy weather but not totally foreign to you like the us southerners. I remember those overpasses being tough. Way to go !!!
2010-01-18 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Whoever thought NY winter training would be just right for a Florida Half!  Nice warm up......I am off to read about the marathon now.

Do they actually let you discard your clothes on the course?...that is so cool.

2010-01-19 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport News
I was down there with you in that mess!  That was a rough wait to start. Felt fine once I was moving. My checked bag was retured to me soaking wet!  All that was dry was 1/2 my jacket and a knit cap thank God for the Mylar!   Congrats on your run!  I was about 18 min behind you (got carried away with the photo ops).   
2010-01-19 9:26 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan

Congrats, you did awesome in that nasty stuff!! I was there, too, did you see me?? 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Half Marathon Rss Feed