General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iphone gps training app Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-13 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Katy, TX
Subject: iphone gps training app

I know that I cannot be the only one who wants to use my iphone on my runs and rides...instead of a garmin...I have downloaded runkeeper pro, but I thought I would ask the question...What is the best/most used gps training app.?

2010-01-13 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2611832

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Subject: RE: iphone gps training app
I use MotionX GPS. Works well.

If I could only find a way to carry my Iphone that was comfortable, I would be happy. I have tried many a armband and none of them work very well.

IMO, the iPhone is just a little too heavy to carry on a run...
2010-01-13 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
So Cal
in terms of reviewing a run afterwards i love the runkeeper app, but overall motion x gps works better because it has auto pause!
2010-01-13 2:43 PM

I've always used the free Runkeeper app and have been happy with it.  Last spring I tried a couple and Runkeeper came out on top.  I haven't tried the other one that's been mentioned in this thread though.
2010-01-18 6:59 PM

User image

New York
I also use MotionX GPS and then share the track to myself (e-mail) which I THEN post on everytrail.com.
I've tried the Everytrail app as well but I like MotionX better.
2010-01-18 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
I use Runkeeper Pro, it doesn't have some of the features of other programs... the auto pause and a "ghost runner" would be nice additions IMO.  On the other hand its performance and feature set are extremely useful as is.  There also seems to be a great deal of movement behind the app.  Anyway, Runkeeper is what I use and will continue to use.   

2010-01-19 2:46 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
I used motion and RK.  Keep coming back to RKpro. 

I use an arm band mainly but also use a spi-belt race belt occationally.  Obviously when its in the pouch you can't see the display and have to pull it out push the buttons.  I like to hit go and run. I   like the fact its out of the way and every mile I get an update through the headphone speakers, that's all the "in workout" feedback I need. 

When biking or doing bricks or racing. I use the arm band and attach it to the aero-bars, once I get rolling I open the app and hit start... The display is easy to read on the aero bars and it you have headphones you get pace info every mile, the other nice thing about RKpro is it auto starts the ipod, so if your going to listen to music its one less thing to have to mess with.  Once I'm off the bike I slide the arm band off the bars slide it up the arm and I'm running so transitions are quick too.
2010-01-19 2:54 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
I use the Iphone as opposed to a garmin type watch so I'm not knocking it, but an obvious drawback is battery life.  5hrs is just about the max in sleep mode.  So if you use it for an HIM dist. or longer you gotta be relatively fast.
2010-01-19 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
I found last summer that RunKeeper can't penetrate thunderheads beyond a certain point, whereas my Garmin405 still gets geo data...
2010-01-20 6:11 AM

User image

Baltimore
I just used the free RK app for my i phone for the first time. I liked it very much except for one thing. It kept stopping without me knowing. I kept looking at the display and noticing that it hadn't been picking up data for about 10 minutes. If I hit the reusme button it would start gatheirng data from that point. It happended a couple times. There are a couple deadspots in my route where I lose my I heart radio app so I am thinking it may be a service issue. I live in a suburb of Baltimore and the AT&T service is strong in my region. It could be as simple as I am hitting the button in my pocekt or a setting issue. I have only tried it once and will try it again to see if it happens again. I am curious if I upgrade to the RK pro that would eliminate the problem. Any input would be helpful! 
2010-01-20 9:29 AM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
I don't look at the display while I'm running so to avoid the accidental button push I put it in sleep mode by pushing the silver button on top which blanks the screen... In sleep you still can adjust ipod volume with the side buttons and with pro you get a pace and distance/time update in the headphones every mile so there no need to look.  If you lose signal it will annouce workout stopped/ paused in the headphones as well so you'd know if it was a service issue or a accidental touch issue.

2010-01-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2623845

User image

Baltimore
drewbialk - 2010-01-20 9:29 AM I don't look at the display while I'm running so to avoid the accidental button push I put it in sleep mode by pushing the silver button on top which blanks the screen... In sleep you still can adjust ipod volume with the side buttons and with pro you get a pace and distance/time update in the headphones every mile so there no need to look.  If you lose signal it will annouce workout stopped/ paused in the headphones as well so you'd know if it was a service issue or a accidental touch issue.

I take it that you would recommend the pro over the free version?
2010-01-20 2:48 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
RK Free is the same GPS unit, same display, same website, and same data . I had the free for a  a year.  I loved it after a run but I was fustrated during runs having to slow down and stare at the display.  I had a friend that had the garmin watch and its sooooo easy to see on your wrist.   

So,  I was hell bent on getting a garmin watch because I found it hard to read the iphone display on my arm mid-run, inside the arm band sleeve. But I was hesitant because of the huge price tag for the watches.  I don't need alot of feedback mid-run but its nice to know your pace / splits. 

When I read about the Pro version giving you pace and splits in the headphones every mile ( or minute(s))), I thought even better, so the couple bucks for the upgrade seemed like nothing compared to a new watch prices.

The app, free or pro, is awesome for what it does.  My 2 biggest faults with free was reading the display mid-run to get my pace and splits and having both the ipod and runkeeper both running at the same time and flipping back and forth between them.  The Pro upgrade clear both of my gripes.  The pro version in addition to giving you updates in the headphones also starts the ipod playlist of your choosing when you hit the start button in RK.  Once you hit start the voice say begin workout  and you know its running then the music starts a couple seconds later.  I put the phone in sleep mode and don't touch it again till I'm done.  Sleep-mode is supposed to stretch the battery life to 6-7 hours.  Leaving the display up the entire run uses alot of battery but thats your only option with the free if you want feedback.

For me its worth it, but if you don't care about pace or the ipod there the same program.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iphone gps training app Rss Feed