Southlake Kiwanis Club
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 5s
Overall Rank = 3/?
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/?
Pre-race routine:

No real routine. Woke up, made a hot green tea and grabbed a banana and some other snacks for the ride.
Event warmup:

Upon arrival, registered and returned to my car to get ready.

Ran for 15 minutes with Brent just to warm up. After that short WU, stretched legs out well, then went potty.
Run
  • 39m 5s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Mosied on over to the start line and said hello to a few runners that I knew. We joked a bit, then got in position to start the run. No way to tell who's a 10K or 5K runner, which sucks.

The RD fired the pistol and we were off! A few runners started off fast (as usual), but my strategy was different this time. I eased the gas a bit for the first mile and ran it at 6min/mi. I usually run the first mile 20+ seconds faster, then drop off to a more manageable 6:30 as the race progresses.

At the first mile, I was right at 6 and felt great! I had reigned in the urge to go out too hard. There was a pack ahead of me that was starting to pull away. I had to catch them! So I did.

At the second mile, I glanced at Garmin and we had run it sub 6! Damn! Too fast for the second mile (at least for me). Eh, whatever. Just run. I wasn't feeling too bad, so I just went with it.

The second half of the third mile is the toughest part of the whole course...by ALOT. You run through some neighborhoods and it's fairly hilly. I was running 7:40 or so at this point (and catching the leaders). The third mile ends with approx a 1/5 mile gradual climb before it levels off.

At this point, I inadvertantly mentioned that the second loop is much tougher than the first, out loud to nobody in particular, although there were others running with me. I immediately noticed one guy kind of slouch and slow down. Oops! Sorry, bro! Not my intention!

We make a right turn in front of Clayton State, and at this point, I'm behind two guys before the 5K turnoff. I pass the 2OA and set my sights on 1OA. He has dreadlocks and looks like he's floating. I'm right on his tail and then he veers off for the 5K. I yell at him, "Good run, bro!" and he gives me a thumbs up.

I'm 1OA at this point, but hear the pattering of shoes behind me. I hold off the other runs until the start of the 6th mile (the hilly part). All of a sudden, a guy flies by me. I'm shocked to see this guy, b/c he looks at least 20 years older than me! Huh? Excuse me?

Then, a blonde guy passes me and tells me to keep up. Well, I do. Then, to my surprise (yet again), another older guy comes running by us. Gah! WTH?

I fall back a little until we get to the top of the hill. Then, I make my move with about a quarter mile to go. I pass the blonde guy, and almost catch 2OA. So close.

I'm happy with this run today. I took almost 2 minutes off the 40:56 I ran last year at this race, but more importantly, I'm starting to feel good running again. INJURIES SUCK.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I just need to get gradually increase my running volume again and ensure I don't get hurt again.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged slowly to my car, then back to the HQ. Drank gatorade and ate a HUGE waffle with butter and syrup! Yum!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training b/c of injury.

Event comments:

Good race with plenty to do afterwards. The awards were late, but that's a common occurrence at this race.

I had to leave, so I didn't stick around for awards. The RD gave me my 1AG 30-34 award and thanked me for participating.

Last updated: 2009-12-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:05 | 06.2 miles | 06m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/?
Overall: 3/?
Performance: Good
Course: Probably one of the tougher 10K courses I've run. The 3rd and 6th miles really make you work. Those hills are brutal.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-01-18 3:17 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Freedom Run

2010-01-18 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2620162

User image

Extreme Veteran
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: RE: Freedom Run
Good RR, if I could ease back to 6:30 pace that would be great!  I think I have to be able to run something faster than 7:00 pace first though .  Good job though! I saw the two guys that won 1 and 2 OA, they looked pretty legit.  See ya out there sometime!
2010-01-18 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2620237

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: Freedom Run
ummm waffles!!!!!!! you kicked it in the arse. well done with no volume or intensity of late.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freedom Run Rss Feed