Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help teaching kids to swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-18 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Subject: Help teaching kids to swim
Anybody have any good tips on how to teach kids to swim. My kids need to learn and I can't afford to pay the local pool for 5 kids lessons when I could teach them if I knew how. Currently they go with me to the pool twice a week and play around while I do laps.

5 year old - fine playing in the water, but turns into a barnacle when I try to teach him
8 year old - can't swim at all, but really wants to learn, fairly comfortable in the water
10 year old - can't swim at all, but really wants to learn, a little nervous in the water
13 year old - can do a really basic crawl across the pool. REALLY wants to do tri's
16 year old - thrashes about in the water like a cat, would really rather be running. Of course he can do a 5:20 mile, but I want him to at least be able to do a 400 yd swim. It's a life skill.

Are there any systems out there? Anybody have any success trying to teach their kids?

2010-01-18 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2620607

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Subject: RE: Help teaching kids to swim
Here's my system:

It's all about social dynamics.

The 16 year old has to want to do it, and come to you for help whenever he/she wants. In no way should the 16yr old be compared to the younger ones.

The 13 yr old will be eager, and probably very coachable.

The 10 and 8 yr old is where you should spend most of your attention. Make it obvious to the 5 year old that what 10 and 8 are doing is amazing.... and 5 will want to join in.

GOOD LUCK!

Sorry, even though I can swim pretty fast, I'm horrible at coaching.
2010-01-18 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
I coach a local age group team and  I'll let you know some of my experiences.

The 5 year old I wouldn't worry about too much right now. It is even hard to get 6 year olds in age group to swim basic freestyle and backstroke. My main focus with them is just to get the proper freestyle kick down so it eventually leads to proper arms. I would try using a noodle so he can have free range with arms and feet. You could also use a life jacket and let him start learning on his own.  If he wants to get to you or to the side of the pool, talk to him into using his arms and feet to help him get there.

8 and 10 year old I would start with freestyle kick, emphasis the importance of having a kick. With younger kids in my age group program the kick is still the main focus at this point. Start talking to them a little about body position and the naturally ability to float. Have them practice some floating with them adjusting there head position, i.e. chin to the chest moving it until the looking straight forward. This will help show them how the hips tend to sink based on head position. Then you can go to some kicking with their arms at the side, and have them start to adjust their head to see what happens. You might start with kicking on land first. either sitting on a bench, holding on so they can watch there feet kick or laying on their stomach so there feet are in the air doing the kick. With the kick, you are looking for the feet pointed, straight legs (very little knee bend), trying to get them to kick with the bigger quad/hamstring muslces.

The 13 year old I would start with body position and then move to kicking and then focus on technique drills. Catch up drill, 6 or 8 or 12 kick rotation, Fingertip drag, zipper drill, sailboat drill. I might try working the arms and breathing with a pull bouy also. Working on placing the arms in the water and not slapping the water when the arms enter. Rotating the shoulder open  instead of just turning the head to breathe. Work on long smooth strokes with him. Also work on a bent arm recovery with the freestyle, instead of a straight arm.

The 16 year old is honestly a lost cause right now, I hate to say that but its true. It is hard to get him to learn something new, especially when he doesn't want to. Maybe tell him about the benefits of swimming first in relationship to his running to see if that gets him interested. It is good cross-training by putting almost no weight/stress on his joints, which allows them to recovery from running. Tell him swimming will drastically help him increase his lung capacity because you just can't breathe when you want to. It will help increase muscle strenght in muscles that he doesn't normally use while just running. You get a better cardiovascular workout in the water with your heart beating almost 10 beats less than what you would be normally doing on land.

Hopefully some of these tips help you out.
2010-01-19 2:40 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Try some of the total immersion DVDs. They have really good skills progressions that can help yo uwith your kids.
2010-01-19 1:23 PM

User image

Elite
In the good ol' days we just threw 'em in the water!  Sink or swim.

Just kidding.  Perhaps a local YMCA? 
2010-01-19 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I’m working on getting myself certified as a swim instructor for kids.  I like the Y where my son takes lessons, but they have a shortage of swim instructors, so I decided to try to help out.

Maybe if you can’t afford lessons for all the kids, it would be more economical for you to take lessons yourself and learn how to teach your kids? 

2017-11-25 6:28 PM
in reply to: gcirongirl

My daughter learned when she was barely 2 and she swam and swims like a fish. I was teased and taunted by persons throwing me in and splashing me after I was 4 and was terrified, in high school a girlfriend took me to the Y and we finally got me across the pool with a kickboard but, I have a fear of deep water because I am a sinker. I finally learned how to float, BUT my dog paddle needs work so, I stay by the edge. lol. Too embarrassed to take lessons at this age but that article https://www.mothersandmore.org/kids/help-child-overcome-fear-swimmin... could be useful for the parents that want to learn their kids how to swim.
2017-11-27 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I worked as a lifeguard and swim instructor in high school and college.  It was a long time ago, but the group lessons started about age 4-5.  I taught some private lessons 2 summers and the 2-year-old nearly gave me a heart attack when, after not doing anything but hang on me during the "lesson" jumped off the diving board (home pool) and then got himself over to the side...I did basic instruction on my own boys.  

As a YMCA instructor, I could often get young day-campers from not putting their face in the water to jumping off the diving board and SWIMMING to the side within the 2-week camp.  

Do you have access to a therapy pool?  Lap pools are often a few degrees cooler(80-82°F) than general fitness (83-86°F) pools and therapy pools may be >90°F.  My oldest son took his first lessons (from someone else) in a lap pool and we spent 6 weeks with him just chattering on the side.  I started taking them to another facility with a therapy pool, and we'd spend 1-2 hours in the water.  

First:  Go to the pool often (check).  

Second:  Encourage familiarity and comfort in the water.  Underwater tea parties, superman (gliding with a good body position), even "spider walks" (clinging to the pool edge).  

Third:  Refine technique and build endurance.  

For the day campers, it started the first day with a quick assessment of their skills and then we played games in the shallow end.  Games that encouraged them to put their face in the water, float (front & back), glide (front & back).  

Then we'd add kicking (flutter kick) and play more games where the glide+kick was reinforced.  Including swimming underwater, underwater summersaults and handstands.  Gliding and glide+kick was usually 1-2 lane WIDTHS (maybe half the pool width).  

We'd bob, first in shallower water and then in deeper water.  

We'd spider-walk to water over their head (even all the way down to the deep end).  

We'd add arms (windmill) back in the shallow end and glide+kick in the deep end.  (half the pool width)

We'd start flipping onto our backs to get a breath.  

We'd start a "corkscrew" rolling to the right or left, combining windmill with breathing.  

We'd repeat these in the deep end.  

We'd jump off the side, first in the shallow end, then the deep end, swimming to another side rather than just returning to where others were waiting to jump.  

We'd jump off the diving board.  

It almost always was a matter of showing the kids they *could* do something new and overcoming their anxiety.  A common dialog:
C:  Can I touch the bottom?
M:  Sure, but you can't breathe while you're down there!  (So of course, this became the goal...jump in progressively deeper water with the goal of touching the bottom...)

Honestly, about half the "lesson" was "free time" with constant reminders/challenges to "do it right."  They'll get 200 yards in jumping off the diving board and swimming to the side by the time they've done it 25 times!  

Some of this is easier when teaching a group of peers.  You'll have effectively 2 peer groups, the 5/8/10 who can't swim and the 13/16 who can but need to improve.  

Psst...for your 16-year old runner...probably a very dense body and any lifting of the head will send his legs straight down.  For him, reinforce technique (rotating the body/head rather than lifting) and kicking will be necessary.  You'll probably also need to encourage him to swim like he's going for a jog, not a run.  

2017-11-28 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

I was also a lifeguard and instructor, so much of what McFuzz said I agree with.

We generally started the little kids (4-5) off with simple things.  Head bobs while holding the wall to blow bubbles.  Get them used to getting their face wet.  We'd then work on floating on their backs while kicking.

From there, we'd go off the wall, face down while kicking.  Then show them how to roll over to their back when they need to breathe.  Roll back to the front again, etc.  This gets that body roll ingrained in them before working on crawlstroke at all.

I usually took a few minutes with them sitting on the wall and kicking, and worked them on keeping the knees straight and toes pointed.  Just get those habits started early.

The biggest thing for that age is to keep it fun so they are excited to come back.  We usually let them jump (one at a time, feet first) off the wall towards the end of the session.  Fun for them, but also once again - it gets them comfortable having their head underwater.

Moving up from there, I might do kickboard drills (board ahead, face down in the water) with 1 arm stroke and breathing to the side.  If I felt like they had that rhythm down, then they're ready for crawl.  I spent nearly equal time with them on backstroke and crawlstroke.

With the older kids (10+) I found it better to get them into a small group of similar ability.  They respond better when they're keeping up with their peers. 

Edited by spudone 2017-11-28 2:50 PM
2017-11-28 8:28 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Bronze member

I teach swim lessons to neighborhood children at my home during the summer. I have had American Red Cross Swim instructor training course so I use their progression but I find the videos from uSwim to be very helpful too. 

https://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3240085_SwimmingWaterSafety.pdf

http://www.wellfleet-ma.gov/sites/wellfleetma/files/file/file/red-cross-swim-level-information.pdf

https://uswim.com/program/

2017-11-28 8:29 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Bronze member

Except I don't think the OP will be checking back anytime soon for all of this helpful information since this post was started in 2010

2017-11-29 5:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by trigal38

Except I don't think the OP will be checking back anytime soon for all of this helpful information since this post was started in 2010

I have been rather enjoying the detailed responses, though.  

2018-01-04 8:48 PM

User image

lol, well you saved me from a long discourse on my teaching philosophy. ;-)
2018-01-14 10:14 AM

User image

Buttercup

Long ago and far away, I taught 3-5 year olds how to swim.

I'd start with getting them used to putting their face in the water while blowing out their nose. I had them focus on getting their whole face in the water, getting forehead wet. Lots of praise for any attempt or the slightest accomplishment.

Then we'd move onto holding onto the wall while extending the body outward, then kicking. I would stand to their side, push up on their tummies and tell them to hold the position, then kick. Some got it right away, others took multiple tries. After they could hold onto the wall and kick, we'd move to putting their face in the water, blowing bubbles out of their nose, and kicking. Again, lots of praise for every goal achieved.

Then they would line up at the wall in the pool, I would stand 3-5 feet away (depended on their size) and have them kick towards me, face in the water.

We stood on pool deck and practiced freestyle stroke and turning the head to breath. Then I had them get in the pool and (one at a time) swim to me. Lots of positive encouragement and praise. It's okay if they're awkward. They're learning many things simultaneously.

The kids were great, eager to please, and so happy when they could put it all together. I absolutely loved this job.

2018-01-14 10:16 AM

User image

Buttercup

HAH!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help teaching kids to swim Rss Feed