General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower leg pain - muscle on front of shin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-26 3:20 PM

Subject: Lower leg pain - muscle on front of shin
The last 2 years I have been somewhat out of running shape and when I start to run again (have been the last month) after about 7 or 8 minutes the muscle on the front of my shin tightens up big time to where it hurts to walk when I slow down.  I'm not sure if this is a type of shin splints (but it will happen the first time I run so it's not an overuse injury) or what it is.

I got a shin splint compression wrap to wear and it still happens.  It is mainly at the top of the muscle pretty close up to the knee.  It's very frustrating as I feel great cardiowise and I can't run as my leg gets so tight and painful.  I've been stretching a lot, massaging it, and even get on the bike for half hour or 40 mins to warm up before a run but still happening.  I'm 35 and in decent shape and have a "normal stride" accordign to more than one running store.  Any recommendations?  Maybe it will go away with getting stronger?  I don't want to make it worse though..Cry

2010-01-26 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2635839

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
Subject: RE: Lower leg pain - muscle on front of shin
mfilan - 2010-01-26 4:20 PM The last 2 years I have been somewhat out of running shape and when I start to run again (have been the last month) after about 7 or 8 minutes the muscle on the front of my shin tightens up big time to where it hurts to walk when I slow down.  I'm not sure if this is a type of shin splints (but it will happen the first time I run so it's not an overuse injury) or what it is.

I got a shin splint compression wrap to wear and it still happens.  It is mainly at the top of the muscle pretty close up to the knee.  It's very frustrating as I feel great cardiowise and I can't run as my leg gets so tight and painful.  I've been stretching a lot, massaging it, and even get on the bike for half hour or 40 mins to warm up before a run but still happening.  I'm 35 and in decent shape and have a "normal stride" accordign to more than one running store.  Any recommendations?  Maybe it will go away with getting stronger?  I don't want to make it worse though..Cry

I had the same thing happen to me when I started up. I'm not sure what fixed it exactly but I did the following:

Stretched my super tight calves religiously
Toe Taps a few times a day
Got orthotics for my flat feet
Ran slower 4-5 times per week increasing distance weekly

I was told by my podiatrist that if you pronate then you will put extra stress on that shin muscle hence the orthotics.

It'll probably go away regardless over time once you build up some mileage

Good Luck!
2010-01-26 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2635960

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
sma777 - 2010-01-26 5:14 PM

mfilan - 2010-01-26 4:20 PM The last 2 years I have been somewhat out of running shape and when I start to run again (have been the last month) after about 7 or 8 minutes the muscle on the front of my shin tightens up big time to where it hurts to walk when I slow down.  I'm not sure if this is a type of shin splints (but it will happen the first time I run so it's not an overuse injury) or what it is.

I had the same thing happen to me when I started up. I'm not sure what fixed it exactly but I did the following:

Stretched my super tight calves religiously
Toe Taps a few times a day
Got orthotics for my flat feet
Ran slower 4-5 times per week increasing distance weekly

I was told by my podiatrist that if you pronate then you will put extra stress on that shin muscle hence the orthotics.

It'll probably go away regardless over time once you build up some mileage

Good Luck!

x2, sort of.
Stretching, building up slower than I really want to, orthotics and I'm good to go.
2010-01-27 8:13 AM

User image

Peachtree City, GA

Sounds like it could very well be "compartment syndrome". I had the exact same symptoms for literally years. I tried everything to fix it (strength training the front of the legs by "toe'ing" up weight plates, all kinds of stretches, different runnign styles, etc) and eventually figured it out as compartment syndrome. You can look this up on the internet but it essentially is when the fascia (the covering of muscle groups) is too inflexible and cannot expand to accomodate the increased blood flow to a muscle during exercise. The lack of room to expand eventually reduces the blood flow to the muscle which in turns causes weakness, pain, numbness, etc.. The only cure for this is a procedure called a fasciotomy. I have had the done (in two separate procedures) on all 4 compartments in the leg from both the inner and outer sides. The operation involves slitting the fascia lengthwise to allow the muscle to expand. There is a test to "potentially" determine if you indeed have compartment syndrome which measuring the pressures inside the muscle compartment both before and after exercise. Some physicians recommend it but some (mine included) don't. I guess the jury is out regarding the accuracy of the test and the criteria which warrants surgery. Mine simply used my symptoms (which again were exactly like yours) to determine the cause of the problems. You may indeed have something else going on but your symptoms sound awfully familiar. At least you have some potential "source" and hopefully can avoid the almost decadde I spent looking for an answer. Best wishes! I know this sort of thing can be awfully frustrating, especially when you have the cardio capability and the leg strength to do much more.

2010-01-27 11:29 AM

I'm doing some research on the compartment syndrome.  I'm hoping with some good stretching and gradual increase of work that it will get better.  It does seem to do better when I get some running in until it hurts, walk for a while stretch more, repeat and then maybe come back to running a little later.  It does worry me though as it seems to get unbelievably tight that there maybe some of this compartment syndrome going on.  I used to run and run pretty well with no leg issues at all, getting older sucksLaughing

Thanks for the good advice, I'm going to try some orthodics as well!
2010-01-27 11:44 AM

User image

Peachtree City, GA

I hear ya. One trick I used to find would occassionally work (maybe 25% of the time) was to warm up with like 30 minutes on a stair climber. After the extended warmup, I could occasionally pull off a 5K, but never anything much longer than that. My symptoms continued to get worse over the years (i.e. I could run less and less until not at all) until finally even walking at a brisk pace or holding my foot over the brake pedal when driving in stop-n-go traffic became excrutiating. One potential indicator of ECS (exertional compartment syndrome) is if you get tingling or numbness on your foot (particularly on top) or in an extreme case, a drop foot. This is caused by the pressure increasing within the compartment to the point that it impinges on one of the nerves leading to the foot. I would suspect this happens in later stages of this problem though (I was at the numbness stage but didn;t have drop-foot). Hope you are able to work it out and it isn't ECS. But rest assured, even if it is, there is a treatment which in my case was 100% effective. If my memory is correct, the effectiveness of these types of fasciotomies is in the 80+% range for anterior and lateral releases (the front and side which you are experiencing symptoms in) and in the 30+% range for the posterior and deep posterior (the calf and soleus areas, I suspect these are much lower because these are harder to diagnose correctly and can be confused with other conditions). I have had  both sets of releases for all 4 compartments and fortunately they were all correctly diagnosed and solved all the problems. In fact, they worked so well that I ran myself right into a stress fracture of the tibia late last year and am now sporting a walking cast and crutches but this too shall heal (or pass or whatever). Best wishes!

2010-01-27 11:49 AM

Thanks Hacksaw, I'm glad the releases worked.  Heal quick!
2010-01-28 12:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
I have the same problem. As long as I take the first mile slowly as a warm up I never get it anymore. If I start too fast I will get it for the entire run
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower leg pain - muscle on front of shin Rss Feed