General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New shoes...new problem Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-27 11:43 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: New shoes...new problem
I'm really hoping some experienced people around here can offer some help. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

So just to offer a brief injury background. This past October during my first marathon, I felt a horrible pain in my right knee around mile 18. It made finishing the race painful and running anything more than a mile or two in the days and weeks afterward impossible. I self-diagnosed this as patellar tendonitis or chondromalacia and self-prescribed myself RICE, NSAIDS, and quad stretches. So after a couple of months of that, I bought a new pair of running shoes (Pearl Izumi SyncroPace III - a support shoe) after putting many, many miles on my pairs of Brooks Adrenaline 8. The Brooks and PI are the same type of shoe, both focused on offering cushion and support. The Adrenaline 8 was suggested to me by a very reputable running store. In my new shoes, I've logged three treadmill runs of 3 - 4 miles each without any pain in my knee (which is great!). However, I now have really sore hips after each run. So what gives?

1. Should I stop running in my new PI shoes and get a new pair?
2. Am I running in the wrong type of shoe? Is hip pain what you get when running in a shoe that's not for your gait?
3. Should I just continue in the PI shoes and be thankful that the knee pain is gone?
4. Is this hip pain something that will go away as I adjust to the new shoes (something I didn't expect having to do since they're the same type of shoe as the ones I've put over 500 miles on without any pain)?

I'm really interested and will be really appreciative to hear from anyone who can help me here.

Thanks.
Mike

2010-01-27 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2637555

Subject: RE: New shoes...new problem
just_tri_to_finish - 2010-01-27 11:43 AM I'm really hoping some experienced people around here can offer some help. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

So just to offer a brief injury background. This past October during my first marathon, I felt a horrible pain in my right knee around mile 18. It made finishing the race painful and running anything more than a mile or two in the days and weeks afterward impossible. I self-diagnosed this as patellar tendonitis or chondromalacia and self-prescribed myself RICE, NSAIDS, and quad stretches. So after a couple of months of that, I bought a new pair of running shoes (Pearl Izumi SyncroPace III - a support shoe) after putting many, many miles on my pairs of Brooks Adrenaline 8. The Brooks and PI are the same type of shoe, both focused on offering cushion and support. The Adrenaline 8 was suggested to me by a very reputable running store. In my new shoes, I've logged three treadmill runs of 3 - 4 miles each without any pain in my knee (which is great!). However, I now have really sore hips after each run. So what gives?

1. Should I stop running in my new PI shoes and get a new pair?
2. Am I running in the wrong type of shoe? Is hip pain what you get when running in a shoe that's not for your gait?
3. Should I just continue in the PI shoes and be thankful that the knee pain is gone?
4. Is this hip pain something that will go away as I adjust to the new shoes (something I didn't expect having to do since they're the same type of shoe as the ones I've put over 500 miles on without any pain)?

I'm really interested and will be really appreciative to hear from anyone who can help me here.

Thanks.
Mike

is your hip pain in both hips?  

Why did you change shoes? 

It is very likely that you have made subtle changes to your gait since your injury (you may not even be aware of them) and this may be the root cause.  You may need to work through it.   The new shoes may or may not have anything to do with your issue.  Brooks is a very strong high quality shoe, I personally wear the Dyad.  I am not familiar with the construction of PI.

hope this helps some

2010-01-27 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Can't really give you concrete information, but here's my experience....

I have chondromalacia. In an effort to make my knee stop hurting, I went to a shoe store. They recommended a pair of shoes. I bought the (expensive) shoes, ran in them, and guess what! My knee stopped hurting. Yay!

Unfortunately, the OPPOSITE foot felt a little sore. I decided to ignore it, since my knee was doing OK... As a result, I ended up with plantar fasciitis. And I've been trying to get rid of THAT for about 8 months now.

So my vote on your choices 3 and 4 would be that I, personally, would avoid those options. At least until I knew more about WHY my hips were hurting.

2010-01-27 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Thank you both for your replies. Mother, the hip soreness is in both hips, but far more pronounced in the right hip (the same leg as the knee pain). I switched shoes because I had heard good things about this Pearl Izumi model and I was able to buy them for a song. My plan was to buy a new pair of the Adrenaline 10 and rotate between the two pairs. I've heard that this is a good idea, though I can't recall at the moment why.

D001, your experience troubles me since I've had and dealt with PF and would hate to be asking for another injury by not listening to my body and pushing through it. When I get my new Adrenaline 10s, I'll just have to see how my knee and hips feel after a few miles in them.

Thanks guys.
2010-01-27 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2637905

User image

Extreme Veteran

Questions:  How long were you off after the marathon?  How many days per week are you running?  Do you stretch?

Do your hips and/or knees hurt when you aren't running (stairs, etc.)?

Your hip pain could be tight ITB related.  This can also cause knee pain (by itself or together with your hip).  Google ITBS for stretches and self-diagnostic techniques. 

2010-01-28 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2638822

User image

Regular
grandhavenbill - 2010-01-27 8:25 PM

Questions:  How long were you off after the marathon?  How many days per week are you running?  Do you stretch?

Do your hips and/or knees hurt when you aren't running (stairs, etc.)?

Your hip pain could be tight ITB related.  This can also cause knee pain (by itself or together with your hip).  Google ITBS for stretches and self-diagnostic techniques. 

Good questions. I took the week following the marathon off, but after that, I could only run 1-2 miles without running into serious knee pain. So I then took a couple of months off from running and followed the RICE, NSAIDS, and stretching regimen.

I've always been religious when it comes to stretching. I roll my ITB on a foam roller, do a lengthy pre/post run routine, and do yoga on my off days.

I've got a different pair of shoes coming tomorrow. We'll see what kind of pain (knee, hip, or otherwise) follows. I was just wondering if hip pain is a possible result of running in the wrong type shoe (i.e. a support shoe when you should be in a neutral).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New shoes...new problem Rss Feed