General Discussion Race Reports! » Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 5 (Sorrent Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 5 (Sorrent - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Perth, Western Australia
Australia
Swimming Western Australia
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 34m 8s
Overall Rank = 126/128
Age Group = over 35
Age Group Rank = 14/14
Pre-race routine:

packing the million things a five year old seems to need for a morning at the beach. I didn't have to be there until 8.15ish so had plenty time for a decent breakfast before the half hour drive up to Sorrento. Met some friends and chatted while we drank loads of water and reapplied our sun block.
Event warmup:

Got a good swim around to quell the nerves and check my goggles weren't leaking, then splashing in the waves until the 5 minute warning was given when I got into the water. Was really nice just bobbing about chatting to people until the horn went off. Then the usual bashing about and "sorry", "no, you're okay" that happens in the friendly BOP.
Swim
  • 34m 8s
  • 1250 meters
  • 02m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am utterly stoked to have taken nearly 5 minutes off the last swim I did three weeks ago. I knew that I could go faster and still survive the distance. Was still right at the back in my own little bit of water and did head off to the horizon a couple of times but was really pleased with how well I rounded the bouys; managed to freestyle around them quickly. There were three people I maybe could have caught as they finished only just in front of me but I couldn't go any faster at the end. The nicest bit was my son running into the water as I came out to run with me up the finishing chute. I got stung a couple of times and my left arm looked like it had been whipped. I was really miffed that the welts had all disappeared the next day and I didn't have any battlescars to show off. To cap off a perfect morning, my friends from the club did really well and one got third in her age group.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster!! Need to practise my navigation and sighting so that I'm not heading off the wrong way. My swim coach has suggested I always breathe bilaterally as my position in the water is so much better but I haven't practised enough so stuck with the breathing every stroke. Hopefully next race, I'll be able to do so.
Post race
Warm down:

Standing about chatting and drinking loads of water. We couldn't hang about long because hubby was working.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of natural ability and experience. Lack of navigational skills (I needed a compass).

Event comments:

I had another brilliant race and will definately do more of the OWS swim series when it comes around again. The main reason for doing these races is to boost my confidence in the water and that had happened big time.

Last updated: 2010-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:08 | 1250 meters | 02m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/14
Overall: 126/128
Performance: Good
Suit: just me bathers
Course: 1 lap around the bouys about 30m off shore
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-01-28 12:52 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 5 (Sorrent

2010-01-28 2:19 AM
in reply to: #2639115

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 5 (Sorrent
Awesome report Daisy.  Way to go on smashing your PB.
You know you're getting somewhere when you wish the battle scars had remained
So proud of you for achieving this!!

2010-01-29 8:21 PM

User image

Montana

Way to go Daisy! 5 minutes is huge! You should be right proud of yourself.

2010-01-31 9:59 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Awesome race!!! Well done on taking 5 mins off your previous time, thats incredible. It must be all the training plus increased confidence in the water.

Sef did this race too (the 2.5k distance in preparation for Rotto) and got stung a lot too. Sorrento is near our house so I did a lot of my HIM training at that beach last year, it seems to be a stinger haven, I ended up swimming in my wet suit and rashie most of the time!!!

Keep up the good work, will you be doing any more OWS races this season?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Water Corporation Open Water Swim Round 5 (Sorrent Rss Feed