General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 49 yr old newbie - need advice please Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-29 1:11 PM

Subject: 49 yr old newbie - need advice please
I have trained/raced for tri's for 5 years; However.. I still consider myself a newbie since I'm still building a foundation. I took off 7 months due to work demands, etc. while maintaining a bare minimum training base. I'm returning to my more regular training for a race I have in 12 weeks. I'm alternating between the 3 disciplines each workout, and adding core & lifting gradually each day. I have trained for 1-3 hrs. depending upon the time I have available outside of work. I stretch very well before and after workouts.

In my first 7 days back, I've noticed a LOT of soreness in my hips and back. Given that, I am backing down on the intensity and training time if I can't train longer.

Question: What will help maximize my training efficiency, keeping my aches & pains to a minimum, since I have limited time during the week to train and only 12 weeks to prepare for my race?

2010-01-29 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2642879

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: 49 yr old newbie - need advice please
Welcome to BT.

Your questions will probably not get noticed here.

Introduce yourself here & then post your questions in the relevant forum. You are more likely to get a useful response.

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-29 4:38 PM
2010-01-29 5:02 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Definitely repost this on the Tri Talk forum.  But you might want to include:

If your using a particular training program
How often you take rest days
What distance race you are looking at

Good luck!
2010-01-29 8:43 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Lauralu - 2010-01-29 1:11 PM I have trained/raced for tri's for 5 years; However.. I still consider myself a newbie since I'm still building a foundation. I took off 7 months due to work demands, etc. while maintaining a bare minimum training base. I'm returning to my more regular training for a race I have in 12 weeks. I'm alternating between the 3 disciplines each workout, and adding core & lifting gradually each day. I have trained for 1-3 hrs. depending upon the time I have available outside of work. I stretch very well before and after workouts. In my first 7 days back, I've noticed a LOT of soreness in my hips and back. Given that, I am backing down on the intensity and training time if I can't train longer. Question: What will help maximize my training efficiency, keeping my aches & pains to a minimum, since I have limited time during the week to train and only 12 weeks to prepare for my race?

Welcome to BT. 

You are returning to regular workouts after a 7 month layoff....Go easy.  No more than 10% increase in run volume from week to week.  Plan drop back time one week a month.

I have learned (the hard way) that happy legs are not optional.  Use the massage stick and/or foam roller carefully.  Ice baths or epsom salts help too. 

The key is learning to listen to your body.  if you are really sore and stiff or are having pain making it difficult for you to bear weight  STOP.  If it's just "slightly sore" listen carefully for the body cues that tell you it's had enough. 

You may want to ease up on the lifting some--though that will be a hotly debated issue in lots of threads.  You need a strong core for all the disciplines, keep that up!!

For what it's worth, I did my first tri 3 years ago and we're the same age

2010-01-30 7:20 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Go slow, and make sure that you are enjoying your training.
2010-02-05 1:44 AM

Welcome to BT and enjoy your training.
I'm also quite new here, and in this activity, I started my trainings in the end of 2007.
Age is no limitation, I'm even 3 years older than you.
Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 49 yr old newbie - need advice please Rss Feed