General Discussion Race Reports! » Dirty Dozen 12 hour / Super Six 6 hour Mountain Bike Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dirty Dozen 12 hour / Super Six 6 hour Mountain Bike Race - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Warda, Texas
United States
Terra Firma
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 30m 33s
Overall Rank = na/
Age Group = 4 prsn Masters
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Slept in barn- was the only one in there. DRY!! But cold. Good thing I had a good bag. Campers were cold and wet with dew. The rest of my team slept like KINGS in the rental house on the property.
Woke up at 5:30 am. Layed in my sleeping bad for 15 min preparing for the cold. Stretched had coffee, egg taco, and granola. Race meeting at 7:15

Event warmup:

easy spin with short pick ups on camp road
Bike
  • 12h 30m 33s
  • 122.4 miles
  • 9.78 mile/hr
Comments:

4 man team relay.
Event info: http://www.terrafirmapromo.com/events/dirty/
Pictures: http://www.bobcat13photo.com/Terra-Firma-Promo-Adventure/2010-Dirty...

I rode last in our quartet of riders for the first 6 hours of the race. Team mate #1 announced after lap 13 (his 4th lap) he was cooked and the night laps were going to be sketchy with the trail conditions being to wet and did not want to ride if at all possible. Ride order was then to change. On lap 14, team mate #2 had a serious bike mechanical at mile 3 and had to run back 2 miles to HQ and announce he could not finish his lap. So…they allowed me to be ‘tagged’ in BUT our times would be combined for that lap. Team mate 3 did a stellar job brining in his lap times down as the night wore one. I had the honor of the last lap of the evening. I was VERY tired and my quads were locking up on the last ¼ mile. People were screaming for me to get out of the saddle and sprint. I tried, but it was not happening. I spun to the finish. Last lap complete and 2nd place in our division was locked.

I suppose I was cooked too at the end of the last lap. I did not “clock” in but dropped the bike and headed for the food. Teammate #3 checked our results on the Live race results feed and yelled to me that it was showing I was still on the course. I then ran back to the scanning station and scanned in. I probably was standing around at the finish line for roughly 10 minutes.

The team put in 17 laps equaling 122.4 miles in 12 hr 33 min 33 sec. I rode 5 of those for a total of 36 miles.

What would you do differently?:

More interval work and hill work before the race. Bring more bike shorts and team jerseys to change into for each lap. remember to clock in if I end up riding the last lap again.
Post race
Warm down:

none. Drop bike and headed for food

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of interval work and hill training. I had no "jump". I did well as long as I could keep my momentum and my power output constant.

Event comments:

Terra Firma always puts on a great event. Can't wait till next year. October's 24hr at Rocky Hill should be great too.

Last updated: 2010-01-08 12:00 AM
Biking
12:30:33 | 122.4 miles | 9.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Muddy in spots. VERY muddy in others. The roots were really slick in the wet spots. Where the course was dry, it was fast and the dirt was tacky. Course was shorted to 7.2 miles due wet conditions brought about by the rains earlier in the week
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-02-08 10:24 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Dirty Dozen 12 hour / Super Six 6 hour Mountain Bike Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dirty Dozen 12 hour / Super Six 6 hour Mountain Bike Race Rss Feed