General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain with swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-10 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: Elbow pain with swim
I've been swimming more this winter after starting ~14mo ago (for 1st season of tri).  Only swim 3x/wk but increasing distance (1250-2000M straight freestyle) & increasing speed.  Last week my inner elbow started hurting (burning pain-medial epicondylitis?).  I'm thinking it may be due to increasing swim volume and working harder on catch & pull.
Plan to do the RICE thing & lay off swimming for a week.  Hate to be off more than that since I'm working toward April sprint, and eventually 1st HIM in July.
Anyone else ever had this "swimmer's elbow" issue, & how long did it take to recover to form?

2010-02-11 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2666809

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Elbow pain with swim
I seem to have a minor case on my left elbow.  I really don't do anything because it seems to come and go.  I think if I have a bad day in the pool (probably because of poor form due to fatigue), it flares up...

In that case, I just try to focus on proper form, and it seems to go away.

Yours could be more serious, so going to see a doctor is always advisable.
2010-02-11 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2666809

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Medial epcondylitis (golfers elbow) is exacerbated by things involving wrist flexion ... as opposed to lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) which is flared up by things involving wrist extension.

My advice would be #1) see an orthopod to get a correct diagnosis, and then #2) have a swim coach or advanced swimmer look at your swim form to see what corrections can be made.

Swimming shouldn't involve extensive wrist flexion at anypoint that I can fathom. A good pull will put pressure on your wrist requiring passive resistance of the wrist flexors, but shouldn't actually involve flexion.

Or I could be just nuts. My 2 cents.
2010-02-11 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2668358

User image

Master
Central Indiana

SA-
Your explanation re-wrist flexion in swimming being essentially passive makes sense.  When I hold my wrist in "catch" position & push against it I do NOT hurt.  Wrist motion does not exacerbate the discomfort.  Now I'm thinking I may have bruised the elbow rather than having overuse-type issue.  Anyway it seems better with some rest.  Maybe I just needed an excuse to focus a little more on run & bike.

Thanks for the input!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain with swim Rss Feed