General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Olathe. New to triathlon. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-18 8:38 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Subject: New to Olathe. New to triathlon.
Hello folks, I am Dave.  I moved here recently from New Mexico and am looking to further my triathlon experience.  I did a sprint last year as part of a weight loss plan, I lost some pretty good weight, but also lost my job as a golf course superintendent.  I found my self here managing the turfcare division of a local landscape company and I love the area!  I currently go to the YMCA on 153rd, and am looking for some mentors.  It doesn't take much as I am pretty in-experienced.  I am signed up for the tinman in June, and may sign up for the bikesource at heritage park also.  I have a goal of completing an Olympic distance in September of this year.

Simply put, I am looking for a little guidance, and some local knowledge.

Thank you in advance.

Dave.

2010-02-19 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2680870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Subject: RE: New to Olathe. New to triathlon.
Welcome to Kansas! There are a few BTrs who go/work at your YMCA, I go to Prarie Life, great master swim programs. KC Multisport is a great multi level club if you are looking for a club to join or if you are looking for a spiritual triathlon experience check out TRI FOR HIM, great people that are always willing to help out in both clubs.

Saturday rides should start picking up in March, alot of people meet at the Overland Park Bike Source 135th & Quivera. Check out ride schedule on KC Multisports web site or ride calendar on Johnson County Bicycle Clubs web site.

You have to do the Bike Source Sprint (AKA Goose Poop TRI) it is a ritual to start the season off here!
2010-02-19 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Olathe
Welcome to the area, it sounds like we have a lot in common.  I live in Olathe as well, I work and workout at the YMCA at 153rd street too.  I just started doing triathlon last year with a sprint and plan on several Olympic distances this year and if things go well, and I have the cash, maybe Branson 70.3 in September.

I also was in the golf course industry, I have my degree in Turfgrass Management from Kansas State, although I haven't used it in about 10 yrs. 

Shannon is the aquatics director out at Olathe and she has been talking about offering a triathlon training class or group training for beginners up to experienced athletes.  She has done IM, HIM, Marathons, and Ultras as well, and is planning on getting her USAT Coaching Certification this summer. There is also a great Masters Swim class that meets on Tuesday and Thursday morning at 5:30AM, Paul, the coach is great with new swimmers as well as experienced swimmers.  I have been a couple times, but I have lost my ability to get my butt out of bed that early.

If you are looking for a training partner or someone to go on a run or ride with give me a shout.

Edited to add:  I joined KC Multisport in August and it has been the best thing I have done in regards to meeting local triathletes and getting involved with volunteering at local events and stuff.

Edited by IMHusker 2010-02-19 8:40 AM
2010-02-19 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2681370

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Awesome, thank you guys for the info.  I will absolutely follow up on those leads. 

Dave.
2010-02-19 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I'll add that there are a couple of good trails to run/bike to train on. Since I'm on the western side of Olathe I'll occasionally use Mill Creek trail; which runs by Shawnee Mission Park (another decent area to train). There is also Indian Creek Trail that runs through Olathe, Overland Park.

Also, come June, Johnson County Parks and Rec has open water swimming available on Tue/Thurs evenings at Shawnee Mission Park.
2010-02-19 11:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
Washington
Here a link to the Johnson County Trail guides:

http://www.jcprd.com/parks_facilities/trailguide.cfm

2010-02-19 12:19 PM

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro

Welcome to the area.  I also belong to the Olathe Y and you will find that it is the best kept secret as far as swimming is concerned because that pool is never busy.  If you need the help with your swimming take advantage of the Masters class.  It's free and Paul is a great coach.  Take advantage of the western part of Olathe as it has the absolute best roads to ride on and the best running terrain in JOCO.  No flat stuff out here, nothing but steep quick hills.  Lots of good trail running also.  Check out Prairie Nature Center and Ernie Miller Nature Center.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Olathe. New to triathlon. Rss Feed