General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-07-26 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2684431

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread
I just talked to Gloria from MSE and gave her a couple of suggestions for next year on how to make it a better race. While it sounds like they are not really able to do much about the congestion unless they re-route everything, they are aware of the issue.

One of my main concerns I shared with her was the lack of PERCIEVED security in the transition area. I told her that we (those who do other USAT events in MN, and elsewhere) are used to having to have a bike number that matches your race number on your body in order to get your bike in/out of transition. She mentioned that she had to unmarked security gaurds, but thought that since the rest of the races do the number check, she may do that for next year.

She also mentioned that there may be an ability to change the run course for next year in order to get it into a more shaded area, which would be appriciated by all Long course racers!!

Overall, she was a very nice person to talk with and welcomed any and all comments or suggestions, so if you do have any I would reccomend either sending an e-mail [email protected] or giving her a call directly 800-429-8044

2010-07-26 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3005501

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Nicely done Ben.

benihana - 2010-07-26 3:14 PM I just talked to Gloria from MSE and gave her a couple of suggestions for next year on how to make it a better race. While it sounds like they are not really able to do much about the congestion unless they re-route everything, they are aware of the issue. One of my main concerns I shared with her was the lack of PERCIEVED security in the transition area. I told her that we (those who do other USAT events in MN, and elsewhere) are used to having to have a bike number that matches your race number on your body in order to get your bike in/out of transition. She mentioned that she had to unmarked security gaurds, but thought that since the rest of the races do the number check, she may do that for next year. She also mentioned that there may be an ability to change the run course for next year in order to get it into a more shaded area, which would be appriciated by all Long course racers!! Overall, she was a very nice person to talk with and welcomed any and all comments or suggestions, so if you do have any I would reccomend either sending an e-mail [email protected] or giving her a call directly 800-429-8044
2010-07-26 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3005515

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Thanks, I also talked to her about the drafting that was overly appearent. She mentioned that there was 6 race marshalls that were on the course. I didn't see anyone except for the guys on Motorcycles who were more sag-wago type of support than race officials, which was confirmed by Gloria, so I wonder if they patrolling the sprint course a little heavier?

Any of the sprint racers see race marshalls?
2010-07-26 3:27 PM

User image

Elite

No, they were not patrolling sprint course better.  Drafting was bad but not as bad as blocking.  I like this race but as always happens with big races with a lot of newer athletes in them, they just don't know thr rules.  I had to pass many times as far as the other side of the road.  Being in wave 25 put me behind a lot of people but there were still many times when I was passing single people who were riding 10 feet into the lane.  Still a good race though.

2010-07-26 3:49 PM

New user
I too am more concerned about blocking then the drafting.  I think it is more of a function of many inexperienced racers who don't know the rule or the saftey factor, then anything else.  I was in wave 27, and had many defensive moves to avoid people on the bike.  I, unfortunately, ran into the back of someone who came off the right shoulder into the road.  We were both sitting ducks as I was aero and no way to get the breaks by the time I looked up.  It sucks cuz it's a race and I want to ride fast and aggressive, but I've gotta be safe too.

I'll try to reach them, but a simple pre-race meeting would be nice to let people know some simple rules of the road.  I also have to get in one of the first waves to avoid it too. 

Regarding marshals, I think I saw one on the sprint.  they were stopped and helping someone with a flat.

Edited by jrondorf 2010-07-26 4:13 PM
2010-07-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3004692

They really need to cap the race before someone gets hurt.  I saw people crossing yellow many times trying to either pass or avoid being ran into and sooner or later there will be a nasty spill or a car in the oncoming lane.  

I'm sure most of you saw the area where some splintered lumber was laying in the road.  That shouldn't be a big deal, but when the course is over crowded you can't see any further ahead than the bike in front of you.  By the time the bike ahead of you swerves or goes over the top of it it's already too late to miss it many times.  I saw 6-8 people hit those pieces.

The other two problems I have with the race I excused the first couple of years but they should know better by now.  They are not having enough porta potties and running out of ice EVERY YEAR.  I'll try signing up the first week registration opens next year hoping that the congestion on the bike course isn't as bad and maybe they won't run out of ice until after I get past the aid stations.  If the earlier start doesn't help I'll be done with this race.

2010-07-26 5:41 PM

User image

Regular

I hate to turn this into a rant but I really have to agree with Joe (as much as that makes my soul cry) I did hit those pieces of wood and was really worried about both flats and a piece flying up and causing a crash.  I also just about anded my ride early.  The stretch heading north with the cones was really congested and as I was trying to pass about three wide the lady in front of me swerved hard left.  Just as she did that I was staring straight at a cone with a big sign in it saying "stay to left of cones"  I have no idea how I missed it but it would have been a crash for sure.  Also have to agree on the ice.  It's not a big problem on the sprint but the last two years I did the half I was not in time for ice either, that really hurts.

Edited to add this is from mndiver.

Edited by lumpy 2010-07-26 5:41 PM
2010-07-27 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3005608

User image

Regular
The drafting and blocking, especially with the sprint course, was pretty bad. I can only assume that people don't know any better, and think it's a group ride.

I hit the wood scraps, and was the guy on the opposite shoulder of the road changing a flat with a race marshal. I had a terrible day, and one of the things I forgot was my CO2. So the marshal called in sag for air, and meanwhile I learned how to change a tubular on the shoulder of a road. I have no doubts about my tire gluing capabilities now. Thankfully the marshal had a set of pliers in his tool kit!

The marshal told me that he was instructed to watch for drafting, and he warned a couple of people. But he didn't mention his ability to hand out a penalty for it? They really need two people on a motorcycle, one to drive and one to write down the bib numbers.

Well I take some pride in my biking abilities, and dropped the hammer. I caught many of the people that passed me while changing the flat, and I couldn't believe the blocking I was seeing. It was 3-4 wide at some points!

Several people were riding way the heck out in the lane of traffic all by themselves, and I am supposed to pass them on the left? UGLY.

2010-07-27 12:24 PM

User image

Bronze member
i thought i would throw in my opinion. I do not believe a 2 minute penalty would change anything that happened Sunday. There are just too many people on the road. Also, they were yelling for people to get out of the Transition area when the 1/2's were starting to come in and she was telling people they would get a penalty. I heard multiple people laugh it off and state "like it really matters if i get a two minute penalty" it's not like i am going to win. those of us who are really trying to do our best do care about two minutes. I like that it is a little loose at the event but not so loose where people just outright dont give a damn. I was passing a group and had to hug the center line with an oncoming car barreling down. there just was no where to go to get around people and sometimes to let people pass you. Also, why the hell do they not block off the run for the 1/2 iron folks like they do at the Lifetime race. I was pretty sick of hearing the race officials constantly yelling for people to get off the path. So, otherwise, i enjoyed the race, beautiful day and i was 17 minutes faster than last year....
2010-07-27 10:33 PM

New user

Chaska, MN
I'm a newbie (Chisago being only my second Half IM and second triathlon ever), so my post is probably not the most intuitive, but I really enjoyed the race. I did notice a lot of drafting on the bike course, which seemed to be more heavily regulated at Liberty. So, I'm not sure which is more of the standard for drafting in triathlons around MN, Liberty or Chisago? In any case, my only complaint is the run course - it was freakin' hot on that black top going up and down the hills. On the other hand, it was a heck of challenge. Overall, I thought the race was well managed, but a pre-race rules review similar to what Liberty did might help with the drafting and the blocking. Just my opinion. Oh yeah, those kids with the hoses at the Aid stations, I owe them. Bigtime. The blisters on my soggy feet even thank them.
2010-07-27 10:33 PM

New user

Chaska, MN
I'm a newbie (Chisago being only my second Half IM and second triathlon ever), so my post is probably not the most intuitive, but I really enjoyed the race. I did notice a lot of drafting on the bike course, which seemed to be more heavily regulated at Liberty. So, I'm not sure which is more of the standard for drafting in triathlons around MN, Liberty or Chisago? In any case, my only complaint is the run course - it was freakin' hot on that black top going up and down the hills. On the other hand, it was a heck of challenge. Overall, I thought the race was well managed, but a pre-race rules review similar to what Liberty did might help with the drafting and the blocking. Just my opinion. Oh yeah, those kids with the hoses at the Aid stations, I owe them. Bigtime. The blisters on my soggy feet even thank them.

2010-07-28 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3008893

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
I would say the level of drafting was fairly normal (unfortunately) given the # of competitors and the mostly flat course.  There's always less drafting on hillier courses like liberty because the hills tend to seperate folks. 

Overall I enjoyed the race more this year then last year, mainly because I think the bike course was much better.  A few rolling hills, some fun downhills, mostly smooth roads, etc.   If they could just find a way to add another 15-20 portapotties we'd be in business! 
2010-07-28 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3008893

New user

donzisteve - 2010-07-27 10:33 PM I'm a newbie (Chisago being only my second Half IM and second triathlon ever), so my post is probably not the most intuitive, but I really enjoyed the race. I did notice a lot of drafting on the bike course, which seemed to be more heavily regulated at Liberty. So, I'm not sure which is more of the standard for drafting in triathlons around MN, Liberty or Chisago? In any case, my only complaint is the run course - it was freakin' hot on that black top going up and down the hills. On the other hand, it was a heck of challenge. Overall, I thought the race was well managed, but a pre-race rules review similar to what Liberty did might help with the drafting and the blocking. Just my opinion. Oh yeah, those kids with the hoses at the Aid stations, I owe them. Bigtime. The blisters on my soggy feet even thank them.

Just curious, what was your bike split and what wave did you start in?  I noticed no drafting at all where I was.  I am not trying to be rude here at all, but it always amazes me when people generalize by saying there is a lot drafting in a race based on what they saw on the bike.  If you were on a motorcycle and road the entire course and said you saw a lot of drafting then I would believe it to be true. 

I also noticed no drafting at Liberty from where I was.  That certainly does not mean there wasn't any.

I also thought Chisago was regulated great.  I saw the officials on motorcycles many times (at least 10).

Edited by price22 2010-07-28 9:21 AM
2010-07-28 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3009423

New user

Chaska, MN
Price 22 -

I started in wave 11 and I'm a slow swimmer. I believe my bike avg was around 20.5mph for the race.

My point in the post above was that at Liberty (in my opinion), the racers were pretty adament about maintaining a 3 bike distance between each other. I did not see any drafting at Liberty - I'm sure it happened though. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe the hills had something to do with that.

At Chisago, I' m sure a lot of racers were cognizant of drafting and maitained a 3 bike distance, but I did pass a fair number during my ride and I did witness a lot of racers right on the back tire of the racer in front of them. It didn't bother me a bit. Also, I got caught up in larger groups where I had to use the oncoming lane to pass. I was more jealous of not being a part of the conversations than upset about having to use the oncoming lane to pass. Honestly, I would rather ride in a group and BS with folks than not.

Being new to this whole sport, I was just curious as to whether Liberty or Chisago were more representative of the races (or maybe they represent the extremes). Frankly, it doesn't matter to me, because I'm just racing against myself. Trying to go from quantitatively slow to subjectively slow. Laughing
2010-07-28 11:18 AM

New user
I can't speak for the 1/2, but on the sprint, there appeared to be many people out for a ride not a race.  I saw what would technically be drafting, but I don't think it was any more then people riding in packs and not even aware of the 3 bike lengths rule.  I also believe there were many who don't know they couldn't ride in packs with their friends or that they needed to stay to the right as much as they could. 

People who were "racing" appeared to be trying to follow the rules.  With 1600 people, there were many newbies out there.  The rules make it safer for them and the people who are racing, and that's why I think it should be better enforced or much more emphasis on following the rules. 

Now if Front of the Packers are sitting on someone's rear for a good length of time, I call that drafting.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3