General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST 3PLUS2 Run Program - Any users/results???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-25 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: FIRST 3PLUS2 Run Program - Any users/results????

I just read the Run Less, Run Faster book by Bill Pierce and Scott Murr.  Essentially is is a running program that uses only 3 days fo running per week with additional cross training (swim, bike, or rowing) to improve your cardio.  The program focuses on running miles at faster paces than most runners train at while allowing adequate rest between each run.  They did 3 years of studies on runners of all different abilities and every one improved their marathon run times.  It appears that this is an ideal program for triathletes that have time demands from 3 sports. 

I was wondering if anyone was using this program for their run training and what their results/impressions of the programs were.

The following link should take you to the website where they have some of the different programs available  (http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm

This link shows the book (http://www.furman.edu/first/rlrf.htm)

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

2010-02-25 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2692668

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: FIRST 3PLUS2 Run Program - Any users/results????

I have a plan that also seems to work:

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

It means running more than 3x week, though, and running most of the time at an easy effort.

FIRST will work, assuming a couple things:

1) You have a fair amount of running experience;
2) You are religious about the runs and the cross-training.  That means no skipping out on anything;
3) You are religious about the paces.  That means no going faster, or going slower;
4) You use it to train for a SPECIFIC RACE, and not as a general approach to run training year-round.

I have also talked to a number of people that had even greater success with the program if they substituted some of the cross-training for extra runs.

2010-02-25 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Scout is right about the assumptions.  I've used it a few times and now use it for running races while training for tris.  I do like it but it's not for the faint of heart.   For me, it freed up a lot of time to take swimming lessons and start to broach tris because after a few years i was interested in changing it up.

Personally, i was always good at going longer but not pushing myself speed wise so it really helped me reach new paces.  You do need mental toughness to get through the workouts. 

I've used the marathon program for two races but for me the results were mixed for a variety of reasons but my running partner has taken time off each of her races.   Where I have seen a ton of improvement is over the 30k and half marathon races (yes, we have a couple of 30k's around here) - Went from 3:04 to 2:46 in the same 30k race. 
2010-02-25 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I'm with Scout too. I used it for a specific race and it worked for me, but it was not easy. I'd say you need a strong base, solid understanding of your various paces, and a real commitment to stick to it. As noted, you can't easily skip workouts or slack off. You will pay.
2010-02-25 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have followed the plan for the Mardi gras marathon this weekend. I have read the book and I think it is a run focused triathlon plan. I also added a lot of volume during the holidays so I have not followed it to a tee.

The long runs at pace were so challenging that I need to race them to get the most out of it. Down here around New Orleans we have a very good race progression leading up to the marathon. Since December I have raced a 12K (7.45), 3 Halves (13.1), 25K (15.5) and a 30K (18.6). I think I needed to do the races in order to push the pace on the longer stuff. I could have done these in training by the mental toughness required is high.

I have, however, dropped my running times a lot (PR’d at everything).
2010-02-25 12:33 PM

User image

Agree with what others have said.

This plan is very difficult.  IMHO, you need to be an experienced runner with a solid base to even attempt it without high chance of injury. 

2010-02-25 2:00 PM

User image

Master

I am currently using it for training as part of getting ready for a HIM in March.
I didn't start with it, but adjusted to my schedule and started at about 8 weeks in. I am now 4 weeks from finish.
If you are honest, and choose a pace that is a reasonable goal, it is doable, but tough.
I have 3 years of marathon experience, but no real speedwork. 2 years of tri experience and a solid base.

I PR'd a 1/2 marathon by 10 minutes from last year and almost 20 from the last time I ran the same course 2 years ago.

The running has been tough, and faster than I tend to run, but it works.

2010-02-25 2:35 PM

User image

Master
I used it for my 2nd half marathon last fall.  I didn't religously follow the cross training and realistically I might not have had enough base to support the interval workouts.  Ended up with nagging hamstring injury and no real cross training.  Half marathon sucked for me as I came down with an upper respiratory infection the weekend of the race and then crashed and burned at mile 6.

But, i think if you have the base and you do the whole plan it works.  I was getting faster and improving on my runs.  The track workouts were hard but a blast.
2010-02-25 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
I used it for a 25k last May with 10 months of running under my belt.  I loved it.  I was religious about the cross training and Speed sets and Tempo Runs.  I usually held my pace for long runs.  I had a nice 25k with 8:11 miles.

Then I used the last 9 weeks for a fall Mary.  Finished. Met my time goal, so it seemed to have worked.  I am using it now for the same 25k as last year and I am having a tough time hitting the long run paces.  The SW and Tempos are great, and I love the crosstraining in ramping up for Tri season.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST 3PLUS2 Run Program - Any users/results???? Rss Feed