General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Trainer Issue...Maybe Not Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-28 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Subject: Bike Trainer Issue...Maybe Not
So...I got my different tires put on my bike, set up the trainer (Kurt Kinetic Pro Rock & Roll) for this first tme this evening.

When I was riding it, it sort of felt like I was leaning a tad to the right, but maybe it was just my imagination.  The bike looked pretty straight in line.  I am also using a swivel for my front tire.

Any thoughts?...or am I just imagining.

Also...never ridden a bike like this before (P2)

2010-02-28 10:14 PM
in reply to: #2698931

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Bike Trainer Issue...Maybe Not
I get that sometimes. I think its a sensation caused by the slightest lean of the bike. When you are riding the bike on the road you control the vertical angle/balance. Your brain is use to the sensation of balance on the bike. When the bike is in the trainer it is locked in a mostly vertical position. If there is even the slightest lean your brain will probably pick it up. Don't worry about it. Trust that your trainer will hold you and the bike and keep you safe and sound. Pedal your arse off and have fun.
2010-02-28 10:14 PM

Master
The only thing I can think of is, if I recall, when you put together a rock and roll trainer you have to put these two metal spacers in and then tighten down the two bolts that sort of hold the top part of the trainer to the base of the trainer. I'm going entirely by memory, but I think if perhaps one spacer was a bit tighter than the other it can make the bike seem a little bit lopsided. Try and redo the spacer part of the instructions to see if that helps. If not, Kinetic's customer service is supposed to be amazing, might not hurt to give them a call.
2010-02-28 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Right on...both make sense.  I might just break out a level to make sure tomorrow, but the over-feeling of a lean like Wookie said makes sense also.  Plus, it does have that "feel of the road" side to side action, so maybe I just too much candy in my pocket on on side.  Ha.

I was in a rush to get everything up and running, calibrated, etc because my program starts tomorrow.

I'll go back and double check everything.

And yes...a great feeling to know I'm not gonna fall over when I forget to undo my shoes.  Still trying to get used to that.

Thanks
2010-03-01 2:13 AM

User image

I get the same sensation.  I think Wookie's explanation is spot on.

Someone else also metioned to me once that the human body is not balanced...because our liver is on the right side and carries more weight.  So when people get lost in the middle of nowhere...they tend to walk in a circle going clockwise because they slowly walk to the right because of this imbalance.  When we walk on the sidewalk or with some sort of visual direction, our eyes can counter this imbalance, and we don't notice it.

If this is true...I'm not sure it is...but makes sense to me...then when we ride on the road, our tendancy would be to tilt the bike every so slightly to the left to make up for our body's imbalance to the right.  When the bike is on the trainer, it's perfectly straight...so our natural riding tendency is still to lean right...which may be what you and I are feeling.  The bike is straight...but we still "feel" we are leaning right...and maybe we actually are.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Trainer Issue...Maybe Not Rss Feed