General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming question - an actual triathlon question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-17 10:43 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Subject: Swimming question - an actual triathlon question
With all of the other threads, I was beginning to wonder if anyone has any triathlon related questions. I have one.

When I am swimming, my feet seem to stay near the top of the water (my heels, ankles, and sometimes my whole foot comes out of the water). My wife went swimming with me for the first last week and said something about my feet need to be under the water. When I was swimming in a lane with a guy who is significantly faster than me, I would watch as we would swim next to each other and his legs were deeper in the water than mine.

Please help. I feel like Dash in the movie The Incredibles when he was the motor and Elstagirl was the raft, except I am not pushing the boat that fast.

2005-06-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: #176919

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Swimming question - an actual triathlon question
mnewton - 2005-06-17 11:43 AMWith all of the other threads, I was beginning to wonder if anyone has any triathlon related questions. I have one.When I am swimming, my feet seem to stay near the top of the water (my heels, ankles, and sometimes my whole foot comes out of the water). My wife went swimming with me for the first last week and said something about my feet need to be under the water. When I was swimming in a lane with a guy who is significantly faster than me, I would watch as we would swim next to each other and his legs were deeper in the water than mine.Please help. I feel like Dash in the movie The Incredibles when he was the motor and Elstagirl was the raft, except I am not pushing the boat that fast.

When I went for one of my first group bike rides I told a person spinning with an easy, quick cadence next to me that he needed to put it into a higher gear and use more muscles at a slower pace.

I'm very embarrassed by that now.

Sorry to break in with my story, but something about your wife's advice made me think of that.

(You oughta be ashamed for trolling, you know.)

Gwendal
2005-06-17 11:38 AM

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Okay, I'll get back on topic with you here for a second Michael.

The ideal position for your feet should be just below the surface of the water. As you're kicking, you should create a small amount of white water/wake above your feet, but you should not have significant splashing. Kicking air isn't going to get you anywhere, kicking water will.

You don't want your feet too deep, though, because that makes your body plow through the water, with your shoulders high and hips/legs/feet low. Find a comfortable position with your hips and your legs and feet should follow.

Hope this helps...now back to checking out the BT Hotties.
2005-06-17 12:30 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Just practice kicking. With your arms stretched in front of you, your head down in the water, just kick and you should be able to start feeling where the most efficient position is. (Breathe to the side, so you don't throw off your body position too much.) The best position for kicking is also the one that is the best for swimming. So, practicing on body position without having to worry about your arms could help. You should also think about the image that the back of your head, neck, back, butt, and legs are all aligned. Nothing is poking up or down. Streamlined is the key word. Kicking with fins (if you have a set) could also help. Fins power you through the water fast enough that you can really start feeling where you are out of position, the drag of the water will let you know.
2005-06-17 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR

dito with you on the tons of off-topic threads.... I've seen a lot of forums (bigger than this one) going down because of the off-topic threads and spaaam.

2005-06-17 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

Most people have the opposite problem, and have their feet too low in the water.  Make sure that the reason your feet come out of the water is not from bent knees.  Drill- go to the deep end and tread water with your hands just above the surface of the water (start off with fins, like zoomers, if you have them).  The kick starts at the hips.

Check to make sure you're not spending too much time on your belly.  2/3 of your kicking should be to the side - 2 kicks facing left, 2 in transition, 2 to the right.  You may also try getting your bottom up a little bit.  When I "feel" I am balanced correctly it feels like my rear is the highest part of my body - but not by much.  It gives a feeling of swimming downhill.

2005-06-17 1:49 PM
in reply to: #177211

Master
Shreveport, LA
wyecrab - 2005-06-17 1:44 PM
Check to make sure you're not spending too much time on your belly.

We have a winner. This is definitely me. I haven't learned to swim while rotating, so I spend 99% of my swim time on my belly.

At the recommendation of another swimmer at the pool, I just got a new swim book yesterday Fitness Swimming by Emmett Hines. I will start reading it this weekend and hopefully get some drills to correc this.

Thanks for helping identify the problem.

Edited by mnewton 2005-06-17 1:50 PM
2005-06-17 2:54 PM
in reply to: #177221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
mnewton - 2005-06-17 2:49 PM
wyecrab - 2005-06-17 1:44 PMCheck to make sure you're not spending too much time on your belly.
We have a winner. This is definitely me. I haven't learned to swim while rotating, so I spend 99% of my swim time on my belly. At the recommendation of another swimmer at the pool, I just got a new swim book yesterday Fitness Swimming by Emmett Hines. I will start reading it this weekend and hopefully get some drills to correc this.Thanks for helping identify the problem.

Oooh, I'm embarrassed, I thought you were kidding.  Dragging your feet is the BAD plan, having your feet near the surface is GOOD.  I thought you must know that.  If you really didn't then you ought to read Total Immersion.  The Emmett Hines book is good, too, but the TI balance drills are the ones that will do you the most good with regard to position in the water.

Gwendal

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming question - an actual triathlon question Rss Feed