General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery drinks, users, thoughts, reasons. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-03-04 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Recovery drinks, users, thoughts, reasons.
All,

I would like to continue with my series of poll/discussion starting topics and move on to recovery drinks.

before we get going I just wanted to lay out my thought process for this (and the barefoot/forefoot running thread and the aero thread posted a few weeks back).

While i have a decent amount of experiance/knowledge of the sport, it is in no way complete, and there are many out there that make me look like a ripe beginner. So with that in mind, having access to a forum like this lets us all toss around ideas, see things from diff prespectives, and hopefully all learn something from it.
With that said:

For the users, and nay sayers, of recovery drinks I have a few questions to hopefully get things started.

If you use them:

-What drink/brand
-Why do you use it
-Do you think it helps
-Do you have a certain length/type of workout that you use it with, or do you use it after all.

For those that do not:

Why?
Have you tried them in the past? plan on trying down the road?

thanks!

2010-03-04 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2707367

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Recovery drinks, users, thoughts, reasons.
I use chocolate milk.

It is cheap, easy and has both carbs & protein.

Sure it helps.  But I could eat or drink something else too.  You just need to refuel.  The "packaging" is not so important for most of us.

I use it whenever I want to.  If I'm going to get a good meal shortly after a workout then I'm less likely to grab some.  If I'm going to grab a quick snack and run out the door to catch my train, then there's a good chance I'll down a glass with my snack.
2010-03-04 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Good topic, one we have had before but always worth a revisit. Yes, I do use recovery drinks. I will usually partake in one after training sessions of greater than 90min or sessions of high intensity. I will have them more frequently during the summer here in AZ as it's so hot and I deplete electrolyte stores quickly even in shorter sessions and using regular sport drink. For convenience during the week, if I have a recovery drink it is GU Brew Recovery, a sponsor of mine, it should be noted. I like the product. This is usually the standard 16oz drink.
On the weekends, after my long bike and run, I will make a recovery shake from skim milk, fresh berries (Blue, Ras., Straw.) and a scoop of vanilla flavored protein powder. These are more like 36-42oz size. It's a nice treat for me.

Edited by bryancd 2010-03-04 11:42 AM
2010-03-04 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
-Biotest Surge

-At first it was because it was leftover from my BB days... and possibly it's the addictive taste that keeps me there as well... but it has a good pro/carb ratio and all the "extra's" that I enjoyed then... and now.

-It's a bit harder to measure it's effectiveness for tri training than it was for BBuilding. I'm convinced it was a Godsend for that, and the pro/carb post workout intake (in whatever ratio you believe) is proven to help recovery / muscle stimulation.

-I use it sparingly now... after a hard run/bike (or brick) and I think it's a benefit.

Honestly... with all I just said, I still think you could do 99% as well for a Recovery drink with some Chocolate Milk.
2010-03-04 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2707391

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
JohnnyKay - 2010-03-04 12:39 PM

I use chocolate milk.

Sure it helps.
  But I could eat or drink something else too.  You just need to refuel.  The "packaging" is not so important for most of us.

I use it whenever I want to.  If I'm going to get a good meal shortly after a workout then I'm less likely to grab some.  If I'm going to grab a quick snack and run out the door to catch my train, then there's a good chance I'll down a glass with my snack.

X2
2010-03-04 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2707422

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I just bought a laughably gigantic jug of Recoverite.  I tried a sample once, after a particularly hard workout, and it saved me from crashing.  I have also heard very good things about it from trusted tri friends.  In general, I like Hammer products.

I also like it because it's easily packaged and tossed in my bag, although I think I have to keep an eye on the temperature.  Need to read more on that.  I like being able to add nice cold water to drink it when I am ready.  While it looks like water, it tastes like a strawberry shake!

I plan to save it for longer, tougher workouts.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-03-04 11:48 AM

2010-03-04 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Note that I am on a team that is affiliated with a sports nutrition retailer (Sports Bistro), but that being said I select and purchase my own products.

- I do use recovery drinks and have used Fluid, Gu Recovery Brew, Endurox, and Recoverite.  They all have their pluses and minuses and I rotate more for variety than anything else

- I use them for convenience because I like to get some calories/carbs/protein right away and the right foods aren't often available.  I also think they're easy to digest as opposed to solid foods

- I do think they help me feel more refreshed after the workout and enable me to go hard/long throughout the week

- I really only use them after 1+ hour workouts and during my build/peak training periods (not as much in offseason)
2010-03-04 11:53 AM

User image

Master
I do use recovery drinks. 

I find that a recovery drink helps me avoid the post-workout "low" and also allows me enough time to make some decent food before I scarf down a bunch of junk (chips, cookies, etc.) because I'm too hungry to wait to make myself some food.

I drink Gu Recovery Brew (a sponsor) or a chocolate/peanut butter/protein shake that DH makes for me.  Chocolate milk is also good, as is a giant glass of water and a piece of fruit with a container of greek yogurt.  If I'm low on electrolytes, I'll have some electrolyte drink (Gu Electrolyte Brew) instead of the water.  The best things about the recovery drink are convenience and the fact that it has all of the stuff you want (protein, water, carbs, electrolytes) so that you don't have to add anything else.

For workouts under 3 hours, I don't bother with a recovery drink.  I just have a snack (nuts, yogurt, PB&J, banana) and some extra water.  I try to set out my snack ahead of time so that I don't just grab junk.
2010-03-04 11:57 AM

Master
I honestly don't really use specific recovery drinks. After a tough workouts, I try and just drink extra fluids (water, maybe sip gatorade) and have a good meal (honestly burrito's are a fantastic recovery food). I tried something way back when, honestly the name escaped me entirely, and I found no real benefit to it.
2010-03-04 11:58 AM

User image

After a run of 1:30 or longer or a bike of about 2:00 or longer I'll use something. I tend to lean towards Hammer Recoverite as it's done me good for over a year now. I found some just expired Muscle Milk powder and that stuff's GOOD but I'll go back to Hammer after this bucket is done.
2010-03-04 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
I still love good old Green Gatorade.

2010-03-04 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern California
- I use 3 scoops of gatorade and a big scoop of unflavored whey protein. Mix in a water bottle with a few ice cubes and drink. Also have been using the Powerbar Recovery bars lately. Have used Amina Acids in the past too.

- Have been told they help and they seem to for me.

- Only use after 2+ hour workouts.

I also will consume a few beers after long rides. Usually only the first beer is in the typical recovery time window though. Not great, but very tasty.
2010-03-04 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

I use chocolate milk when workouts end near a fridge and powdered "recovery" drinks when they end near my car/work.  Right now I switch between Hammer Recoverite and Infinit products.

I use it for a quick supply of protein and carbs.  My training fuels are carbs only.  I use the powdered stuff because chocolate milk becomes yucky in a less than an hour inside a car in the sun.

Yes, it cuts down on the feeling of fatigue and hunger I have after long/hard workouts.  It's a carb heavy meal without the cooking really.

I use it on any workout greater than about 60 mins or any workout that makes me say "Ow!" when I read the instructions.

2010-03-04 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2707422

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
momo - 2010-03-04 12:44 PM
JohnnyKay - 2010-03-04 12:39 PM I use chocolate milk.

Sure it helps.
  But I could eat or drink something else too.  You just need to refuel.  The "packaging" is not so important for most of us.

. X2

X3
2010-03-04 12:10 PM

Choc Milk. I use it after most workouts. Besides, I like choc milk, so it is just an excuse to drink some when I can.
2010-03-04 12:11 PM

New user

I alternate between chocolate milk and Recoverite.  I've sampled a few that didn't sit in my stomach very well - sat like a rock in my stomach, and ended up with these two that do my stomach fine.  They seem to help, always ready to go at my next workout.  Both also taste good, especially when ice cold.  I also drink Heed on longer rides or runs, sits in my stomach really well.

2010-03-04 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2707531

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
GOAP - 2010-03-04 11:11 AM
I've sampled a few that didn't sit in my stomach very well - sat like a rock in my stomach, and ended up with these two that do my stomach fine. 

Yeah, that's why I like the GU Brew, it's very light in consistency so it's easy to drink.
2010-03-04 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Chocolate milk
Milk + scoop vanilla whey
greek yoghurt with piece of fruit in smoothie form
or my new favorite
1 cup of OJ (or other fruit juice) diluted with h20 to >20oz  + scoop or two of vanilla whey + 1/4t of salt lite
tastes a bit like a creamsicle
2010-03-04 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2707539

User image

Champion
bryancd - 2010-03-04 11:15 AM

GOAP - 2010-03-04 11:11 AM
I've sampled a few that didn't sit in my stomach very well - sat like a rock in my stomach, and ended up with these two that do my stomach fine.

Yeah, that's why I like the GU Brew, it's very light in consistency so it's easy to drink.

bryan, the few times ih ave used them thats why i like the hammer one.

I dont use one on a regular basis, tend it just try and eat after bigger workouts.

for me the two largest issues i have/reasons for not using them are

-Cost, that on its own is enough at the moment
-I still feel hungry after, and would rather just get my calories from food.

I will be the first to admit i have not used one enough to really say one way or the other how i respond/feel with them.
2010-03-04 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2707598

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
newbz - 2010-03-04 1:33 PM

I will be the first to admit i have not used one enough to really say one way or the other how i respond/feel with them.

There is some school of thought that liquid-form recovery is "quicker acting" and perhaps a bit more effective.  But this is probably only important if you are constantly stacking workouts (trianing like a pro).  Otherwise, it's mostly the convience factor that would drive one to using it--getting a fair amount of calories with carbs & protein combined without having to sit down and have a meal (similar reason some might eat an energy bar from time-to-time).  But if you are getting all this with "real food", then there is probably no added benefit to be had from a recovery-specific drink.
2010-03-04 12:43 PM

User image

Runner
I do not, unless you count water, and sometimes milk. After almost every run I eat a meal, because that's when the runs are scheduled. I do not consider any of that "recovery" though, because I'd be eating them regardless.
As for what I do after a long run, it usually consists of water, maybe some milk, and a nice warm shower. After all that, I will probably be hunting food. I like hot dogs for that. Although pasta can be good too. Keep in mind, I do not take in any calories while running, so my needs are probably different than many other people's.

2010-03-04 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2707620

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
JohnnyKay - 2010-03-04 1:40 PM

There is some school of thought that liquid-form recovery is "quicker acting" and perhaps a bit more effective.  But this is probably only important if you are constantly stacking workouts (trianing like a pro).  Otherwise, it's mostly the convience factor that would drive one to using it--getting a fair amount of calories with carbs & protein combined without having to sit down and have a meal (similar reason some might eat an energy bar from time-to-time).  But if you are getting all this with "real food", then there is probably no added benefit to be had from a recovery-specific drink.

So far, what you're talking about is what the current research suggests (also with regard to the 30 minute window).  Not only that, most studies suggesting the 30 minute window are done on fasted subjects, which may or may not apply to everyone.  The basic gist of the research says that after 24 hours, slow/fast(digestibility) immediate/delayed(timing) eating still restores glycogen stores after a 24 hour period assuming calories are matched

Almost every time I'm out riding, I'll be at least an hour away from a home when I finish, so I'll stop by a 7-11 and get a strawberry quick or something like that, (maybe bring a protein bar when I'm in an unfamiliar area + a gatorade bottle).

Something is better than nothing, but a recovery drink might not be always better than simply eating a meal within a decent window after your done exercising. 
2010-03-04 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2707620

User image

Champion
JohnnyKay - 2010-03-04 11:40 AM

There is some school of thought that liquid-form recovery is "quicker acting" and perhaps a bit more effective. But this is probably only important if you are constantly stacking workouts (trianing like a pro). Otherwise, it's mostly the convience factor that would drive one to using it--getting a fair amount of calories with carbs & protein combined without having to sit down and have a meal (similar reason some might eat an energy bar from time-to-time). But if you are getting all this with "real food", then there is probably no added benefit to be had from a recovery-specific drink.

Last summer i was doing a lot of 3 a day workouts (4-5 days a week with the other two being doubles). I have tried the smaller meals throughout the day in the past and always end up coming back to a bigger dinner/mid sized meal during the day.

I train fairly well a bit hungry, and this has always worked best for me.

I also tend to have dinner ready within about 20 min of walking in the door so i guess that helps as well.
2010-03-04 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I don't use them and no plans to start.
2010-03-04 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2707681

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
As long as those smaller meals are replenishing you enough from those workout sessions then you should be fine.  If you have trouble eating enough between, then a "heavier" drink--milk, chocolate milk, other recovery beverage) might be worth trying to supplement.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery drinks, users, thoughts, reasons. Rss Feed  

of 3