in reply to: #2731945

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Company Car vs Monthly Car Allowance

SGriepsma - 2010-03-17 2:57 PM
graceful_dave - 2010-03-17 12:10 PM
McFuzz - 2010-03-17 1:58 PM Check with your insurance agent about the ramifications of a car allowance.  Most insurance policies are for "private use" and you may find you need a different (more expensive) policy for "business use." 
What if you just don't tell your insurance company you get an allowance? How is driving for work (like an outside sales person) different then commuting to and from an office?

They'll claim fraud and use recission to deny coverage.  Occasional business use is OK.  The difference is the insurance company's exposure to risk is higher when you drive for work (especially if you routinely drive with clients in your car, like a realtor does). 

I know my insurance is based on miles driven annually.  Typically, if you are in an accident on company business, the company policy will act as primary (usually the higher limits as well) but they can reach down and attach your personal policy as well.

That'd be another thing to check.  If I use my personal vehicle for business (I work for a Fortune 500 company), it's MY insurance first and then the company picks up anything my insurance doesn't cover. 

2010-03-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2725867

User image

Veteran
Take the company car.  Never buy a new car with a reimbursement program unless you have the cash to buy it.  If you lose the job, you lose the funds to pay the car payments.

If you can fund the car and you can get one that is VERY fuel efficient, then you can "beat" the company on the mileage reimbursement... IF YOU SAVE THE MONEY left over after buying gas.  It is far better to do this with a decent used car.  You are 30% ahead at the start (new car depreciation).

Record keeping is a non issue since you will have to do it with both systems.  Also many companies require you to keep driving records on a company car, but all they are looking for is IRS compliance.  Ask about it, but don't expect a straight answer.  More of a Wink and a Nod.

Edited by Indiana_Geoff 2010-03-19 8:29 AM
2010-03-19 8:38 AM

Veteran
Salisbury NC
Done both, company car is much less stress.
2011-03-20 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2735347

I'm in the same boat right now and having to make a selection. 

Do you have more details on the IRS calcuation for tax season?  There was reference that the amount you are taxed for personal use can (or some of it) can be captured when filing the return at the end of the year.  Is this true? 

In my case, I get a fuel card regardless, and taxed for personal mileage (they recommend to log 20-30/week so nothing is suspicious come tax time). 

What to do here? Company car (subaru outback most likely) or 600/month car allowance?  My current car (Civic) is 10 years old, and I'd have to get a new car to satisfy the allowance reqt's (4 yr old max, and 4-doors)

Edited by kosmo132 2011-03-20 4:44 PM
2011-03-21 2:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

Company care here too.  I put on 35,000 miles this last year and didn't pay for any gas, any repairs, any maintenance, or anything else.  We get a new car every two years or 60,000 miles.  I'm driving a 2010 Ford Edge, (so I can put my bike in the back of course), and would never use my own car for the traveling I do.

I get to use it for personal use at 10% of business miles and then get charged a minimal fee, but I travel on their gas and if I have a problem, I just call in to fleet services.

2011-03-21 4:58 AM
in reply to: #2728937

User image

Champion

I'm normally one to endorse taking the cash but if that comes with the requirement of buying a car, I'd say take the company car.

My company has a large fleet of vehicles and every 2 years, when they change them out, they offer them for sale to employees at a discounted price. 

Just a thought for the longer term, taking the company car and treating it like you would a personal car (oil changes, washing, etc) may be worth the opportunity to purchase it at a discount when you are due to swap it out, and then take the allowance and use the car.

2011-03-21 9:01 AM

Veteran
Salisbury NC
I have had both and some mixture of the two. A full blown company car is less stress as someone else stated. Most of my experience myself and my wife could both drive the company car and were covered by the company insurance.

I much prefer the company car route, if worst case you wreck the car and you are the one making payments you could be in a bind. I know folks that get the allowance and come out to the better but the stress associated with it is was always much greater.

2011-03-21 9:59 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Take the company car and start a new car fund for when you leave that job and need or want to upgrade the personal car you have now.
2011-03-21 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Fuzz is right about the company car being on personal insurance if you take the allowance. If you are honest with your agent he/she will have to list the car as business use which is much more expensive.

A late model car classified as business use might eat up more of the expenses than you think. The insurance companies charge more because the risk is so much more. I commute to work but my annual mileage is less than 8,000 miles. Someone using a car for business use might have upwards of 25k miles a year. That is a lot more time on the road and a lot more exposure.

I also agree with the mileage thing. I would hate to have a payment on a car I had driven 30k miles every year for four years. That car is going to be worth nothing with those kind of miles.

I'd probably take the company car, set aside what I would normally pay in a car payment, pay my personal fees for driving the car and save the rest. That way I have the money for whatever personal car I want in the next few years and all the miles are being piled on someone else's car.

Edited by Aarondb4 2011-03-21 11:47 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Company Car vs Monthly Car Allowance Rss Feed  

of 2