General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting sick after first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-16 6:44 PM

User image

Subject: Getting sick after first tri
Just wondering if the following has happened to anyone here. Two days after my first race I started to feel flu-like symptoms and within a matter of 24-48hrs I was really ill. Doctor said I had pneumonia. I haven't been able to train since. Is this common? How best to go about training again? Any comments at all. Can racing in tri's cause this?

2010-03-16 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2730111

User image

Subject: RE: Getting sick after first tri

take a look at late months triathlete mag there was an article on it i believe

2010-03-16 6:51 PM

Veteran
Havent done my first yet so i cant speak on experience but I can say feeling fairly confident, working out, of any kind, will give you pneumonia. Viral or bacterial are the causes. Hope ya get better though
2010-03-16 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2730120

User image

thanks for the kind words - it's really driving me crazy not training as I got "the triathlon bug" so badly after I raced that I was ready to jump in and go hard the next day - had to stop myself from going out that afternoon!!
2010-03-16 7:02 PM

User image

Expert

Intense exercise can weaken the immune system, and leave you more vulnerable to infections and complications.  After a triathlon, or any hard effort, it's good to try to avoid exposure to viruses, keep hands well washed and sanitized, etc, to avoid infection.  The triathlon itself won't cause pneumonia unless you aspirate lake water (not recommended!).

I've seen less actual data on this, but I've also heard that anytime you have just completed something important, be it a triathlon, wedding, exam, etc, your are more likely to get sick.  If true, this would be a double-whammy for potential illness after a tri.

2010-03-16 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2730135

momandmd - 2010-03-16 7:02 PM

Intense exercise can weaken the immune system, and leave you more vulnerable to infections and complications.  After a triathlon, or any hard effort, it's good to try to avoid exposure to viruses, keep hands well washed and sanitized, etc, to avoid infection.  The triathlon itself won't cause pneumonia unless you aspirate lake water (not recommended!).

I've seen less actual data on this, but I've also heard that anytime you have just completed something important, be it a triathlon, wedding, exam, etc, your are more likely to get sick.  If true, this would be a double-whammy for potential illness after a tri.

Stress and sickness have a strong positive correlation, whether it be the bad or the good stress (eustress).  So the double whammy of having depleted energy and high levels of stress can definitely lead to an increased chance of catching something.

2010-03-16 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2730135

User image

Extreme Veteran
momandmd - 2010-03-16 7:02 PM

key right there...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting sick after first tri Rss Feed