General Discussion Triathlon Talk » adamo saddle fit question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-18 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: adamo saddle fit question

Put on an Adamo race on my Cervelo yesterday and rode for the first time.
Couple degree angle forward like was recommended.
Didn't feel too uncomfortable.
But, I was wondering without a nose on the saddle should I move the saddle forward versue tradional saddle?
I know its specific to what feels good to you, but generally speaking.

2010-03-18 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2733334

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: adamo saddle fit question
I disagree that it doesn't have a nose - it just has a forked nose. My saddle is about in the same place it would have been with a standard saddle.
2010-03-18 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
it might also be that the saddle just isnt for you. i tried the race for awhile but just could not get comfortable on it. i switch to the cobb v-flow max and love it. 
2010-03-18 10:29 AM

Veteran
Try moving it forward a little. It is shorter than a standard saddle. It took a little adjusting until I found the sweet spot on mine. Be careful not to point the nose to low or it will put to much pressure on your forearms. Move around on it while riding until you find the sweet spot then adjust it accordingly.

One other thing, look on Cobb's website, it shows you how to sit on a saddle correctly ie: hip angles. It helped me.
2010-03-18 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
TrevorC - 2010-03-18 10:08 AM

Put on an Adamo race on my Cervelo yesterday and rode for the first time.
Couple degree angle forward like was recommended.
Didn't feel too uncomfortable.
But, I was wondering without a nose on the saddle should I move the saddle forward versue tradional saddle?
I know its specific to what feels good to you, but generally speaking.

The ISM Adamo Race saddle is a lot harder than the century or road right out of the box.  I takes a few rides to break it in.  IMO, this saddle is extremely comfortable while in the aero position.  It is built so your sit bones are right on the split nose.  This took my sit bones a little time to get used to it but after that happens you will love the saddle.

Most of the complaints about the Adamo are that it rubs your thighs because of the width .... is this happening to you or is it just the uncomfortableness (is that word?)? 
2010-03-18 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
the width was my problem. way to wide and rubbed the inside of my thighs. no problems with the v-flow max

2010-03-18 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2733418

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
JeffIrvin - 2010-03-18 11:36 AM

The ISM Adamo Race saddle is a lot harder than the century or road right out of the box.  I takes a few rides to break it in.  IMO, this saddle is extremely comfortable while in the aero position.  It is built so your sit bones are right on the split nose.  This took my sit bones a little time to get used to it but after that happens you will love the saddle.

Most of the complaints about the Adamo are that it rubs your thighs because of the width .... is this happening to you or is it just the uncomfortableness (is that word?)? 

x2.

You actually do sit a little more forward on the Adamo than you would on most other saddles.

Don't point the nose down -- keep it level.

If width is a problem, it is possible that you are sitting too far back on the saddle.  If you aren't, then you can narrow the nose' with a zip tie on the rails.  Just squeeze the prongs of the nose together a bit and hold them there with the zip tie.
2010-03-18 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
width is fine. I was just curious about pushing it forward or not. But yes, sit bones will take a bit to get used to.
2010-03-18 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2733786

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Experior - 2010-03-18 10:27 AM

x2.

You actually do sit a little more forward on the Adamo than you would on most other saddles.

If width is a problem, it is possible that you are sitting too far back on the saddle.  If you aren't, then you can narrow the nose' with a zip tie on the rails.  Just squeeze the prongs of the nose together a bit and hold them there with the zip tie.

X3...except I do have a teeny bit of forward tilt with my Adamo road.
2010-03-18 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2733887

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
tcovert - 2010-03-18 2:00 PM
Experior - 2010-03-18 10:27 AM

x2.

X3...except I do have a teeny bit of forward tilt with my Adamo road.

When my bars were on top of the spacers I had it flat. I dropped my bars about an inch and had to tilt it down some (as well as slide it forward) to get back the comfort level I had previously.
2010-03-18 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
I am really struggling with getting comfortable on my P2C.  Have used Arione, Arione Tri 2, Adamo and still cannot get it right.

I have tried back almost all the way, forward all the way and everything in between.  One question would be how do you determine how far forward/backward your seat should be?  

That being said, I have tried it level (by placing a book on tip/tail) have tried slight inclines, much over 5 degrees begins to be really uncomfortable with pressure on soft tissue area.  I have also had it down significantly.  Beyond 5 degrees negative, by far the closest I have gotten to comfortable, but still deal with some numbness.   

I have found the fizik webpage to be the most helpful in explaining my position.  I have good flexibility to the point of being correct for the Arione.  That being said, my feeling on the bike, much more like the other extreme where I am riding on the frontal area of the sit bones.  When I try to adjust how I am seated. I almost have to push backwards to rock backwards to the middle of the sit bones.  I can see this is where my issue is stemming from due to being rocked forward and putting pressure on the soft tissues.  

Any suggestions?  I know many have gone to the Cobb V-flow Max, how does the cutout compare to the width of the adamo cutout?  I do find times my thighs rub on the adamo seat, so total width is probably a bit wide of what I would ideally have, but without having specific measurements, I feel as my sitbones are pretty far apart as I have to be back a ways on the Adamo to have both bones sitting on the seat and not having one riding the edge. 

2010-03-18 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
i had the same problem you are having now. i tried the adamo and it was to wide even with the nose pinched together with zip ties. i have anarrow pedal stroke and my thighs were rubbing bad. i switched to the fizik tri 2 seemed like the nose had a hump that just did not sit well with my crotch. i now have the v-flow max and love it. cant really explain it other than no pain or numbness and no thigh rubbing. saddles are a personal choice and this one fits me great.
2010-03-18 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2734738

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
jvanis - 2010-03-18 9:32 PM I am really struggling with getting comfortable on my P2C.  Have used Arione, Arione Tri 2, Adamo and still cannot get it right.

I have tried back almost all the way, forward all the way and everything in between.  One question would be how do you determine how far forward/backward your seat should be?  

That being said, I have tried it level (by placing a book on tip/tail) have tried slight inclines, much over 5 degrees begins to be really uncomfortable with pressure on soft tissue area.  I have also had it down significantly.  Beyond 5 degrees negative, by far the closest I have gotten to comfortable, but still deal with some numbness.   

I have found the fizik webpage to be the most helpful in explaining my position.  I have good flexibility to the point of being correct for the Arione.  That being said, my feeling on the bike, much more like the other extreme where I am riding on the frontal area of the sit bones.  When I try to adjust how I am seated. I almost have to push backwards to rock backwards to the middle of the sit bones.  I can see this is where my issue is stemming from due to being rocked forward and putting pressure on the soft tissues.  

Any suggestions?  I know many have gone to the Cobb V-flow Max, how does the cutout compare to the width of the adamo cutout?  I do find times my thighs rub on the adamo seat, so total width is probably a bit wide of what I would ideally have, but without having specific measurements, I feel as my sitbones are pretty far apart as I have to be back a ways on the Adamo to have both bones sitting on the seat and not having one riding the edge. 

out of curiosity how long did you use the fi:zik? It takes a while for it to break in to "your" body... mine was a bit uncomfortable the first couple hundred miles, now I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Another (relatively) cheap saddle to try out is the Specialized tri tip... it's a saddle that works for quite a few people.

Also, if you've got a Bontrager retailer, they may have access to the "bontrager - sit on this - it'll tell you the width needed - doohickey stool" that lines you up with their convenient "color coded" bonty saddles.
2010-03-18 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2734754

User image

Expert
Leegoocrap - 2010-03-18 8:40 PM
jvanis - 2010-03-18 9:32 PM I am really struggling with getting comfortable on my P2C.  Have used Arione, Arione Tri 2, Adamo and still cannot get it right.

out of curiosity how long did you use the fi:zik? It takes a while for it to break in to "your" body... mine was a bit uncomfortable the first couple hundred miles, now I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Another (relatively) cheap saddle to try out is the Specialized tri tip... it's a saddle that works for quite a few people.

Also, if you've got a Bontrager retailer, they may have access to the "bontrager - sit on this - it'll tell you the width needed - doohickey stool" that lines you up with their convenient "color coded" bonty saddles.

I used the Tri 2 a while  awhile, id say a couple hundred miles in different positions, but all resulted in numbness still.  Come to think of it, I think I have seen one of the stool things at a bike shop here, may have to go back and get measured.  May have to go in and then give Cobb a call I have put enough money in to them, so the 180 day return policy is awesome. 
2010-03-18 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
i did not want to endure anymore pain waiting to break in the fizik. the v-flow was perfect right out of the box. i spent 6 months trying to break in my brooks leather saddle and im glad i did best saddle ever made but i did not want to do it again and im glad i switched.
2010-03-18 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2734777

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I basically tried to keep the rear of the saddle in the same place as my old saddle.  Since the nose is shorter, it seemed further back from the bars (when measured), but it was the same spot I sat with the old saddle.

About the width, I seem to have issues with particular bike shorts.  Some have a seam that runs on the inner thigh and that, in combination with the saddle has done some pretty nasty things to me on long rides.  As in rubbing raw my left thigh and man part... OUCH.  I just have to be carefull which shorts I wear.

As for tilt, the saddle has a small "bow" to it.  I realized you can't make the nose the same level as the tail because then the fork part is actually at an upward angle, which was uncomfortable.  I realized this and made sure the fork part is level (so the first 4 inches or so) which results in the back end of it angle up.  For me, it's now super comfortable in aero for a long time.

2010-03-20 9:11 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
2 ride follow up... Its rocks!! Slight forward tilt, and it may be a wee bit closer to my bars. I know its only two rides, but it feels great so far. No pressure on the boys at all. My 'sleepyness' down there either. Looking like a good saddle for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » adamo saddle fit question Rss Feed