General Discussion Race Reports! » M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miami, Florida
United States
Excel EP
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 23s
Overall Rank = 484/1100
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 56/112
Pre-race routine:

arrived at the site by my self at 5am when the gates opened. I got home at 11 from work then set my clock forward to 12 so when getting up at 4 only had 4 hours of sleep. my wife slept later and took a cab over. my bike was already set up so it just took me a few minutes to set up my tranistion gear. then I started wondering why I got there so early since it was pretty cold and I had nothing to do. just hung around and waited...at about 6:45 I put on my wet-suit and headed to the start to watch the pros go off. at this point I started getting really cold. even though I had the wetsuit on the wind and morning air got the best of my and I couldn't stop shivering. I guess it had something to do with my cold.

I finally saw the wife and kid when I was heading into the chute to start.

Event warmup:

nothing really, just tried to keep warm. some light streching while waiting for my wave.
Swim
  • 26m 42s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

the water actually felt warmer than the air so I was relieved when the race started. no kick or punches to mention as the start is pretty spread out. at first I was having some trouble breathing because my throat needed clearing...hard to do in the water. but it eventually cleared up and I settled into a smooth stroke. there were some waves from the lifeguards on jet ski's but I really didn't notice any current or chop. overall a good swim especially concidering I haven't been swimming as much as I should.
What would you do differently?:

try not to be sick during a race and stay warm...funny, soon I'll be begging for some of that cold once the miami summer gets here
Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

had a good run out of the water and got the wet suit down to my waist but I had to stop at the facilities to pee ;-) this seemed to take forever and that's why I lost so much time. the wet suit definitely got stuck and cost me some time but I guess most people had the same problem so no worries there.

hit the head before the race...and practice getting the suit off
Bike
  • 1h 15m 26s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 19.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I love my new bike!!! haven't raced this exact course before so I have nothing to compare it to but to start the season racing an oly, with a significant cold, strong head and cross winds and opperating on less than 4 hours of sleep...I'm very happy to average just under 20 mph. the bike is nimble, fast, light and comfortable. I still have a long way to go before I challenge the FOP but this is a big step.

just keep getting stronger...and stay healthy
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I was kind of caught off guard by the bike dismount...I thought I had more space to get out of my shoes before stopping but all the sudden they were yelling at me to dismount and I had no choice but to stop and clip out. didn't seem to cost me much time so no worries.

know the course better and be prepared
Run
  • 52m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty exhausted coming off the bike and my legs were hurting so I was in no hurry. got passed a lot on the first loop but I really didn't care...at this point I was running my race and doing what was best to get me to the finish line...pas me all you want. strangely enough I got stronger on the second loop and started seeing, and passing, quite a few of those guys who went out fast. I felt strong finishing and passed a couple guys in my AG in the last mile..

in these circumstances, nothing. I did what my legs and current condition allowed me to do.
Post race
Warm down:

found the wife, got some food, sat under a tree...then went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

being sick and cold

Event comments:

post-race things got much worse concerning my cold. my sinuses were completely block and giving me a headache and my throat was very sore. the next day I could barely talk above a whisper. stil today, 6 days later, I am feeling the effects. I guess being so cold while waiting for the race then using all my energy to race rather than power my immune system gave the virus the opportunity to take ove and wreak havoc on my system. oh well, if I cold go back I would still race. I have no regrets.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:42 | 1500 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/112
Overall: 416/1100
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterre sleeveless
Course: there's a wide chute on the beach so not much hand to kne combat. you head left to the first buoy, then right for a long straight away. right at the second buoy and you head to the exit.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:26 | 24.9 miles | 19.81 mile/hr
Overall: 468/1100
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 loops around key biscayne, including virginia key and 4 powell bridge crossings.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:39 | 06.21 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 580/1100
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops of the normal marine stadium trail. some bad ruts in the beach just as you enter the course were a bummer and a little dangerous.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-20 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Subject: M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon Rss Feed