The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 15s
Overall Rank = 1967/10481
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 250/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 AM and had a bagel with peanut butter.
Event warmup:

I rode down to the race with friends from the hood. We got there just in time. National anthem, 5 minute wait...off we go. Zero warm up. See what would you do different.... Garmin was out of power. WTF. I charged the damn thing, yet no power in the AM. Luckily, I had my ironman watch and at least had my time to look at....see what I would do differently (again)
Run
  • 1h 54m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I snuggled up with the 1:45 pace guys. Felt great for the first 6, then I noticed the effort was getting harder. Not a good sign at the half way point. I was excited that at least I was on pace. Suddenly in mile 8, my right calf cramped up a little, not big, but it made me slow down. I lost my pace group. Ugh. Mentally, I was not resilient. I slowed down at mile 9 and people were passing me right and left. At mile 11, my right shoulder cramped and was killer painful. WTF. The shoulder? I lost it and got frustrated when the 1:50 pace group came by at 11.5 or so. I think my pace dropped off big time. My legs were heavy and I was just trying to get to the line. I wish I could have enjoyed the last mile. It was great to have all the people cheering. Next year.
What would you do differently?:

Check the Garmin the night before, do a real warm up, and maybe get a few runs in over 13 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked with a water, got my medal and was in a foul mood. I simply walked to the car. Luckly, one of my friends wanted to get to 10:30 Mass, so we bolted quickly. My shoulder was horrible. I got a bag of ice from a random person on the walk to the car. I could not lift it up on the ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Endurance. Period. I am getting better, but the progress is slow. It can get frustrating as friends are all running in the 1:30s and I am 20 min. slower. Just want to be a little more respectable.

I need more miles.

Last updated: 2009-09-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:15 | 13.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/10481
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-21 8:22 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: ING Georgia Half-Marathon

2010-03-22 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2739165

User image

Extreme Veteran
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Half-Marathon
Dude, you did just fine with the account of injuries.  Trust me, if I actually would have been training for the other two tri sports like yourself, I would have spit out a 1:50s time.  You have a great balance, and will be much better off when you hit your first tri of the year.  I hope to see you on a training run or ride soon!  Keep up the great work and hope your shoulder gets better soon!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Georgia Half-Marathon Rss Feed