General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wildflower - Olympic Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-26 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2816734

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Wildflower - Olympic Distance : Official Thread
dhopman - 2010-04-26 8:17 AM The weather report for the weekend is looking pretty good! Sunday says sunny with a high of 78.

This will be my first race of the season and I seriously can't wait another minute! This will be a long week.

Anyone out there have any goals in mind for this race?

I'm looking forward to some heat myself.  First race of the season for me too.  My goal is to just survive!

2010-04-26 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2816965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
enginerd - 2010-04-26 11:21 AM
dhopman - 2010-04-26 8:17 AM The weather report for the weekend is looking pretty good! Sunday says sunny with a high of 78.

This will be my first race of the season and I seriously can't wait another minute! This will be a long week.

I'm looking forward to some heat myself.  First race of the season for me too.  My goal is to just survive!

I really can't wait to see your race report. =) Back-to-back races!
2010-04-26 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2816734

User image

San Francisco

This will be my first tri and I can't wait either... a long week indeed!

My initial goal around a specific finish time is seeming more ambitious after a couple of crappy workouts in the last two days, so I think I am just going to focus on my broader goal of enjoying the experience.  I am hoping I am just experiencing the whole taper/peak/rebuild phase and my body will be ready to go quickly on Sunday.

Either way I am looking forward to the event and can't wait to be able to finally call myself a triathlete!

2010-04-27 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2739225

User image

Veteran
SoCal
considering i feel like i've been actually regressing instead of progressing with my swimming these days, my wildflower weekend goal is just to get out of the d@mn water.  

small setback for me, though:  initially i was playing in this fundraiser event the weekend following wildflower.  well.  due to some scheduling snafu on the part of the fundraiser organizers, they had to move the event up a week.  meaning wildflower weekend.  i found this out about 2 weeks ago.  so my band is playing this fundraiser saturday night, i leave at around 11 (yes, PM) after set take-down, get in the car around 11:30pm or so when my husband graciously drives me (and all my gear) up from LA to Lake San Antonio overnight as i try to sleep in the car.  arrival time is sometime before 6am.  park.  packet pickup.  try to relax.  my wave starts around 10:30am.  Surprised
2010-04-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2819505

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
novas - 2010-04-27 10:26 AM considering i feel like i've been actually regressing instead of progressing with my swimming these days, my wildflower weekend goal is just to get out of the d@mn water.  

small setback for me, though:  initially i was playing in this fundraiser event the weekend following wildflower.  well.  due to some scheduling snafu on the part of the fundraiser organizers, they had to move the event up a week.  meaning wildflower weekend.  i found this out about 2 weeks ago.  so my band is playing this fundraiser saturday night, i leave at around 11 (yes, PM) after set take-down, get in the car around 11:30pm or so when my husband graciously drives me (and all my gear) up from LA to Lake San Antonio overnight as i try to sleep in the car.  arrival time is sometime before 6am.  park.  packet pickup.  try to relax.  my wave starts around 10:30am.  Surprised

Wow. Stop at a Starbucks before you get off 101 and get as much caffeine as possible into your system. This should make for another interesting race report! Good luck to you novas. =)
2010-04-27 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
A thread on the main forums got me thinking about bottle exchange. I also looked at the course map and the aid stations don't make sense to me.

1. Do they do bottle exchange on the oly course? I've never done this before in a race. In fact...I can't imagine why you can't carry enough water/sports drink to last 25 miles...unless it's 120 degrees out. I ride 25 miles all the time with only one water bottle.

2. Bike Aid Stations - website says there are 3 every 3-4 miles...it looks like you hit the first after mile 8, second at mile 12 just before turnaround, third just before mile 16. Is this right? I guess that is every 3-4 miles, but the first 8 and last 8 don't have any aid stations.

3. Run Aid Stations - website says there are 6 but I only see 5 on the map.

2010-04-30 10:59 AM

Just wanted to say good fortunes to everyone racing.
I was going to until I broke my collar bone.  Still can't move the shoulder to swim.

Have a great time and be safe.

Scott
2010-04-30 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2820413

User image

dhopman - 2010-04-27 12:21 PM

A thread on the main forums got me thinking about bottle exchange. I also looked at the course map and the aid stations don't make sense to me.

1. Do they do bottle exchange on the oly course? I've never done this before in a race. In fact...I can't imagine why you can't carry enough water/sports drink to last 25 miles...unless it's 120 degrees out. I ride 25 miles all the time with only one water bottle.

2. Bike Aid Stations - website says there are 3 every 3-4 miles...it looks like you hit the first after mile 8, second at mile 12 just before turnaround, third just before mile 16. Is this right? I guess that is every 3-4 miles, but the first 8 and last 8 don't have any aid stations.

3. Run Aid Stations - website says there are 6 but I only see 5 on the map.

Yes, they do a bottle exchange. I think it's reasonable at WF, given the course and the surprisingly beginner crowd that race it. Plus some might like to carry only a little for weight and supplement off the course

the run has 5 or 6, depending on which map you look at and if you consider the finish as an aid station. The only discrepancy is between 1.9 and 3.75, map shows one about 2.5

Per the website

Bike Course Aid Station Locations:
Mile 8 (Water and Gatorade Endurance)
Mile 12.5 (Water, Gatorade Endurance, PowerBars)
Mile 16 (Water and Gatorade Endurance)

Run Course Aid Station Locations:
Mile 0.8 (Water and Gatorade Endurance)
Mile 1.9 (Water, Gatorade Endurance, PowerBar Gel Blasts, PowerBars)
Mile 3.75 (Water, Gatorade Endurance, Power Bar Gel, PowerBars)
Mile 5 (Water and Gatorade Endurance)
Finish Line (Water, Gatorade, Fruit, PowerBar Recovery)

On the bike, the 8 and 16 are the same
2010-05-03 8:46 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
everybody have fun out there this weekend?
2010-05-03 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2832753

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
enginerd - 2010-05-03 6:46 AM everybody have fun out there this weekend?

Had a great time! Went 2:50 on the oly course which I was happy with - first tri in 4 years for me. Now time to crank up the gain for Vineman.

I was looking for your race report(s) and didn't see them enginerd...I want to know how you handled the back-to-back races!
2010-05-03 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2834332

User image

Master
San Francisco
dhopman - 2010-05-03 2:51 PM
enginerd - 2010-05-03 6:46 AM everybody have fun out there this weekend?

Had a great time! Went 2:50 on the oly course which I was happy with - first tri in 4 years for me. Now time to crank up the gain for Vineman.

I was looking for your race report(s) and didn't see them enginerd...I want to know how you handled the back-to-back races!

Hey, congrats on your first tri in 4 years and on a tough course.  I was right there with you at that finish time.  

It'll take me a little bit to get my race reports together, but they both went pretty well.  The long course seemed windier this year.  I recovered way better this year than last so I was reasonably fresh for the oly.  It was a great weekend to race at Lake San Antonio.

2010-05-03 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2832753

User image

San Francisco
Fantastic weekend.  I think I picked a great event for my first tri.

And despite having horrible quad cramps from about 30k on the bike leg on, I was really pleased with my overall time.

We were camping out in the overflow right by the long course run - I think the course and the temps had put some serious hurt on a lot of people.  So hats off to you enginerd... being able to finish the olympic on Sunday after doing the long course on Saturday is impressive enough; even more so with a time like that.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wildflower - Olympic Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2