General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting Cleveland Clinic for next 3 months, looking for runs! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-29 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: Visiting Cleveland Clinic for next 3 months, looking for runs!
Good morning-- I'm a BTer from Maryland doing a rotation here at Cleveland Clinic for 3 months (!). One thing that hit me immediately as I drove in last night is that the area around the Clinic isn't exactly Cleveland's finest... So I'm looking for some ideas for run routes that would be scenic and not get me into any parts of town I wouldn't want to visit. Any info would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2010-03-29 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2754451

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Visiting Cleveland Clinic for next 3 months, looking for runs!
I dont live there but I was there in the fall for recruiting visits with the CCF. I spent three days there and did take part in some nice trail runs. They have a awesome park system that rings the city (by city I mean the outbelt). I stayed in a hotel adjacent to the clinic but went to brecksville and broadview heights for runs. I agree with you about the neighborhoods around the Clinic itself are not too sweet. I was offered the job and eventually turned it down but the recreation opprotunities were great in my exercise oriented mind.
2010-03-29 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Look online for the Cleveland Metroparks.  Like the previous post said, it's a great location to run, cycle or just enjoy the outdoors!  Don't know when your rotation ends, but the Cleveland Triathlon (downtown) and the Greater Cleveland Triathlon (in Mentor on the eastside) are both on August 8.  Hope that at least gets you started! 

(And don't believe that "Most Miserable City" garbage.  I would go no other place for my summers!!!)
2010-04-02 5:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
I currently work as an RN at the clinic.  I just started about a month ago.... I live in Sandusky now but grew up in Cleveland.  The Metroparks are an excellent place to do your rides.  A little farther out in Akron area is the Cuyahoga valley and another excellent spot (from what I've heard).  Hope this helps.
2010-04-02 9:11 PM

Check out Cleveland Triathlon Club,  we have a few different group runs throughout the week.  

http://clevetriclub.proboards.com/index.cgi

2010-04-03 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Thanks for the tips, everyone. Unfortunately I was hoping to find some good runs from the Clinic for mid-week use, but it looks like the concensus is that there's not much. And pretty much everyone I've talked to has said that running around this area late in the evenings after I get off work is a bad idea.

I'm going to do a run along MLK blvd. today and hopefully check out the Metroparks tomorrow, but I guess for weeknights it's going to be the treadmill...

2010-04-04 11:14 AM

MLK is fine daytime - keep going and you will land in Bratenahl - beautiful area - just don't go any further!
If you head right up cedar hill you land in a very nice area of Cleveland Hts - you can run out Fairmount for as long as you'd like - that might be a good option for a quick run (again, you'll want to drive the 5 minutes to get to Fairmount, but then park and go).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting Cleveland Clinic for next 3 months, looking for runs! Rss Feed