Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Cycling the Malahat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-30 9:51 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Cycling the Malahat?
Hi everyone!

I'm from Edmonton and moving to Victoria at the beginning of May to work in research at the UofVic for the summer. Super excited! However, I am wondering about routes for longer rides? (ie. 50km+). I'm wondering if anyone has done the Malahat and how that went for them as far as safety is concerned (shoulders, road debris, etc). Also any other suggestions? Pat Bay is a little of and on from what I remember, so I was doing alot on Hwy 17A (West Saanich Rd I think) down to Swartz Bay and Royal Oak.

Thanks!

2010-04-03 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2759271

User image

Victoria
Subject: RE: Cycling the Malahat?
Drove over the Malahat today, there is a lot of tree debris on the shoulder right now, I think they clean the shoulder sometime in late April or early May and then it is fine for riding.
2010-04-27 9:51 AM

User image

I wouldnt be riding it right now thats for sure, but in the summer it should be fine... I know a lot of guys do it, and head into shawnigan and make a loop from that..

Check out the race route for the New balance half iron, its 40K in saanich, from elk lake, and a great ride!
2010-04-27 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
I've done it in the summer and it is pretty safe as long as you take the lane when you need to on the way back down.  On the way down you will be bombing and there are rumble strips on the side of shoulder.  Once I get going downhill I take the lane.  If you are in the shoulder and there is debris you have a rock cliff on one side and a rumble strip on the other.  You could be in trouble.  I have crossed a few rumble strips going over 60kph and I don't recommend it.  A few drivers might get a little annoyed but your safety trumps it. 

There are a ton of great local group rides around town though and many good routes that are 100k+ without doing the malahat.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Cycling the Malahat? Rss Feed