General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good deal on Cervelo bike package? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-01 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
NAF Atsugi Japan,Medford OR.
Subject: Good deal on Cervelo bike package?
Went into Final Kick in Virginia Beach and they are offering a full package with Cervelo P1, wetsuit, shoes, helmet etc. along with complete bike fitting for 2 grand.  I'm just starting out and need to get a bike and the tech guy was telling me that material wasn't a huge factor (alum. vs CF) but rather fitment and how the bike performs to my body.  In addition, he was telling me that the cheaper CF bikes cut corners and unless I plan on spending more, it's not worth it.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Ty

2010-04-01 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2764326

User image

Regular
Birmingham, AL
Subject: RE: Good deal on Cervelo bike package?
I would basically agree with all that.  Fit is definitely the number one factor, and in a tri bike, comfort will come into play if you plan on doing longer races. I was debating between a P1 and a P2c, and couldn't justify the extra grand for going carbon (even though I really really wanted to).  The P2C is only 100 grams lighter than the P1.  The only significant advantages in the P2C are the deeper wheel cutout and extra stiffness for better power transfer.  
I agree that it's not much of a difference for a beginner.  Depending on the quality of the wetsuit, I'd say the price is really good since I paid $1,750 for the bike alone.  I love my P1, so go for it!
2010-04-01 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Agreed depending on the wetsuit and the helmet it sounds like a pretty good deal. I sprung for the P2C just because I was drooling over it for many months and had to have it, but now seeing the 2010 P1 I wouldn't mind riding around on one of those either.
2010-04-01 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
NAF Atsugi Japan,Medford OR.
Thanks a lot guys, I think I will go for it!  After talking with the owner, I just felt good about the company and got a real good vibe overall. 
2010-04-01 11:22 PM

Master
Can't go wrong with the P1 - that's a sweet bike.

I own a P2C (carbon), and though I adore my bike (man, I really, really love my bike! Smile), I'll tell you that the carbon fibre of Cervelo is still designed to be super-stiff. Meaning a harsh but responsive ride. All that hype about carbon fiber absorbing road shock will not apply to the Cervelo race machine which is meant for you to transmit all power, and instantly through the super-stiff frame. All the experts at the LBS where I bought mine warned me of this, and I completely agree - my aluminum road bike (carbon fork) definitely is more cushiony than the Cervelo.

So you're probably not missing out on much aside from the cachet and the 100g with the P1. (Ok, the resale value as well - P2s are uber-hot on the resale market, which is part of why I stepped it up. But P1s are dang good as well!)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good deal on Cervelo bike package? Rss Feed