General Discussion Triathlon Talk » couch to sprint training plan strength training question.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-02 4:45 PM

User image

Lower East Side, NYC
Subject: couch to sprint training plan strength training question....
Hi,

New here - just loaded the couch to sprint training plan as part of my silver membership. Weirdly, every strength training sesison (2x a week, for 12 weeks) is the same - all back and legs and core.  No chest or arms.  Not to question the plan, but is this right? Has anyone else used this plan and noticed this?

If there's a logical reason for it I'm down, otherwise I'm surprised that no chest or arm excercises are there.

Thanks
Jerry
NYC

2010-04-02 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2765698

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: couch to sprint training plan strength training question....
The main reason is you need to start training like an athlete, not a bodybuilder. Isolation exercises for the arms won't make you stronger. Neither will chest flyes. However, I would encourage you to add a pressing motion to balance out the program. Bench press is fine if you like to bench, but I prefer incline presses, standing presses, or dips. Furthermore, with the time spent on tri training, most people barely have time to do weights let alone do a bunch of isolation movements for the arms. If you have the time and energy, feel free to add in some arm work. But don't do arms at the expense of big, compound movements that work many muscle groups. Your weight program should be based around squats, deadlifts, an upper back movement (rows, pulldowns, or pull-ups if you can do them), a pressing movement (bench, incline bench, standing press, or dips) and one or two at the most ab isolation movements. Core strength is important, but don't go crazy with ab isolation movements. Your abs play a stabilization role during squats, deadlifts, and standing presses should you choose those for your pressing movement. Doing 10 different ab isolation exercises is not necessary and potentially counterproductive.
2010-04-03 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2765780

User image

Lower East Side, NYC
Subject: RE: couch to sprint training plan strength training question....
Hey man, thank you so much for the detailed response. Now I get it. I'm new to tri training so I hadn't thought about it in the way you describe but that makes total sense . I come from more a traditional running + weight lifting background so it's a little paradigm shift for me.

I'll probably just add some pushup variations for pressing excercise. I'm into bodyweight excercises.

thanks again.

Jer
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » couch to sprint training plan strength training question.... Rss Feed