General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-03 7:36 PM

User image

Richmond, Va.
Subject: Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon : Official Thread
Good luck to evereyone registered! For those of you not familiar with the terrain...you're in for a "fun" run:-)

2010-04-03 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2766925

User image

Champion
PA
Subject: RE: Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon : Official Thread
I'm going to give this a try but I'm just trying to survive since this is my first attempt at a half-mary distance.  I'm not shooting for any particular time.  I just want to keep a slow and steady pace.  I am going to try Savageman in September so just completing this distance will be a big confidence booster.

I will be running this with two former Marine friends of mine.  I am former Navy so we will all be motivating one another by the typical verbal abuse you hear when you get folks from different services in the same room.  haha  I think this is going to be fun in a sick sort of way.
2010-04-03 11:07 PM

User image

I just signed up! I'll be doing some training at Camp Lejeune at that time, so I figured I'd make the drive up to do the run. Should be a great time, aside from mile 10!!
2010-04-06 6:39 PM

User image

Richmond, Va.
It's all about the distance...not the clock I'm praying for alight rain...or at the very least a kot of clouds on race day.

2010-05-16 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
How was everyone's race?  What a perfect day we had!!!  I can't wait to do it again next year!!!
2010-05-16 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2861630

User image

Champion
PA
carteroak - 2010-05-16 3:00 PM How was everyone's race?  What a perfect day we had!!!  I can't wait to do it again next year!!!

It was my first stab at the 13.1 distance and I was honestly a bit scared going into it.  My lower back had a bad spot so when I straightened up, I would get a tingle.  I hit the chiropractor on Friday, stretched a LOT on Friday and Saturday and I felt as though I ran well (for me) up until mile markers 9 and 11 where I had to pull it to the side and stretch my back.  I finished at 2:26 and even after the 3 hr drive home I have to say that I feel good. 

I feel as though the day was perfect and collectively, the event was fantastic.  There was just so much cool stuff going on throughout the entire route.  I am former Navy and I ran with two former Marine buddies of mine so we had a good time.  My goal was to finish, not embarrass myself, and not hurt anything ahead of the Black Bear Oly next Sunday... mission accomplished.

2010-05-17 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

That was a really well run race, the organization was something the RD can be very happy with.

The run itself was really nice, a great little hill at the end to challenge peeps.  Ran with a couple of buddies from the work running club and paced for them, happy to say we got round in the best time they had ever done and they felt great after it.

Really enjoyed the run, the location was excellent, what a place to run, had to laugh when I saw a bunch of people chilling on their front porch, sipping coffee watching the race go buy as the run went to old town....

will definitely do this run next year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed