AA Sports
42F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 53m 59s
Overall Rank = 12/28
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 11/16
Pre-race routine:

I have gotten into a routine of Ensure when I get up. Breakfast sandwich two hours out. A 2nd Ensure 60 minutes out. Warm-up 30 minutes out. 5 Hour Shot 15 minutes out.
Event warmup:

Setup the transition area and went for a short jog. It was cold and raining so I just got a little loose and went back to the car. With a mass start there wasn't a big reason to warm-up for a sprint start.
Run
  • 26m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Good first run. Rather than run by the clock I ran be feel and was pretty happy with the time. I ran with a slight stitch so I knew I was working hard.
What would you do differently?:

Speed work possibly getting a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

T1 went smoothly. My gear was slightly higher than I should have been but everything else went smooth. The transition area was setup pretty good. I had the shoes clipped into the pedals ready to go.

Check my bike gear before racking my bike. I will want to see how to use a rubber band to hold your shoes up before getting to the bike mount point.
Bike
  • 53m 57s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.68 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike leg felt uncomfortable. I was never comfortable breathing and my seat felt lower than the life cycle I have been training on. I spent a fair amount of time being aerodynamic but I could have done better there.

I plan to measure the top of seat to top of pedal on the Lifecycle and make an adjustment to my bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

At the bike dismount line I pulled my shoes out of the clips then walked into T2 with my shoes on. I should have removed my feet from the shoes or at least took the shoes off and ran into T2. I also never took my helmet off. I ended up throwing my helmet into the grass about 1.4 miles into the run.

Obviously I need to walk thru the T2 transition at home and practice the process.
Run
  • 28m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a slight stitch thru the 2nd run. The legs felt heavy for the first mile. I thought I would get faster as the run progressed. This never really happened.

I believe some bike run bricks at close to race pace will help here.
Post race
Warm down:

Once the race was complete I got some soup and liquids into me. I immediately changed into warm clothes and did a light jog/walk to get my helmet back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

While I am happy with my race time the slow T2 transition and running with my helmet was a disappointment and needs to be corrected. Speed work will be in the works but only if it helps me for the 70.1's which are my "A" races.

Finally for the first time that I can remember I was not very comfortable on the bike. I believe my seat has slipped down at some point and needs to be corrected.

I have been thinking about adding some run/bike/run bricks to my training even before this race.

Event comments:

Good first run, Fair T1 transition. Bike felt uncomfortable, possibly a low seat, T2 sucked needs work. 2nd run felt uncomfortable, maybe add some bricks.

Last updated: 2010-01-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:38 | 03.11 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 11/28
Performance: Good
Course: Straight/Flat out and back. The surface was rough in patches and the course was very windy being on the river at the gateway to the Gorge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:54
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:53:57 | 15 miles | 16.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 11/28
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Straight/Flat out and back. The surface was rough in patches and the course was very windy being on the river at the gateway to the Gorge.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:28:53 | 03.11 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 16/28
Performance: Average
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-06 9:32 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Spring Classic Duathlon

2010-04-06 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2770946

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
Subject: RE: Spring Classic Duathlon
Dang, not having a good bike fit can cause problems.  Good job finishing and getting it done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Classic Duathlon Rss Feed