Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-04-08 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: chichitao's group - FULL!
NAME: chichitao / Tim

STORY: I had always been active and mostly into sports throughout my life but after college I had some weird working hours and got away from that.  Several years later I weighed myself and had gotten up to 230 and realized I needed to do something.  I started with running.  Then a friend got me into mountain biking.  From there I transitioned into road biking.  I realized I was already doing 2 out of the 3 triathlon events so decided to set that as my new goal and go for it.  That was close to 3 years ago.  Now I love doing them.  I am still working on getting my weight completely under control but I will go into that below.

FAMILY STATUS:
Happily married now for almost 5yrs.  No kids (which gives me more time to train and mentor!), but two awesome cats!

CURRENT TRAINING:
  I am currently on the BT 16-week 3x balanced training program.  Been on it for about 5 weeks and have been doing really well (until I got bit by a dog running last week!).  I have decided to really focus on sprints this year.  I have done 6 sprints over the last 2 years (mostly in the middle of the pack, but my best race was top 30%), one Olympic, and one duathlon.  I decided that I enjoy my family life and have too much going on to dedicate the training time to the longer races.  Plus I love the feeling from doing a sprint. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races yet this year, but my season is just about to start.  I've got a 10k coming up in 2 weeks, a mini-sprint in the beginning of May.  A normal sprint in the beginning of June and another one in Aug.  Will try to pick up a few more races throughout the year.

2009 RACES:
  Finished '09 with my first ever Oly.  It was a good experience and I might train for one again in the future, but just not right now.  I also did my first two ever half marathons last year, breaking the 2hr mark on the 2nd race.

WEIGHTLOSS:
Began my tri career around the 230 mark.  I have gotten it down to a 205 as of today.  I tend to fluctuate and put on some weight over the winter.  It has been a struggle for me, but I am really dedicated to breaking the 200 barrier.  It's been my mental nemesis for a while now.  I've lost 11lbs since the beginning of '10.  My goal is 200, but then 190.   

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
You know, I am just a normal guy who never saw myself being a mentor.  Even recently I hadn't thought too much about it, until some friends convinced me to give it a shot.  I am really dedicated to this site and what it can bring to your training.  I've never seen so many tools for triathletes all in one place and I want to help people realize their full potential by knowing about and being able to use these tools.  I am on here almost every day and love to provide motivation to people.  A lot of good people did that for me and kept me going these past few years that I feel like I should pay it forward.  I am a really easy person to talk to and I just have some real world triathlon experience that I would like to pass on to the newbies.  I welcome anyone of all backgrounds and experience.  I might not have all the answers, especially those that are working towards HIM or IM races, but I will do my darndest to help you out in any way I can.  I do want people in my group that are serious and really will get involved in the group forums.  Now, let's have some fun!

Edited by chichitao 2010-04-09 9:59 AM

2010-04-08 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2776397

Subject: RE: chichitao's group - OPEN
I want to join! I will post my info later today!

Shauna
2010-04-08 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I am IN!!!  Thanks Tim!!

Name:  Mrschach/Meggan

Story: My background is swimming.  I swam competitively from 8 through high school.  Looking back on it, I really should have competed in college but I did not like the swim coach at the college I went to.  I have worked out since I started college.  I started running in September of 2008 after I had my youngest son.  I remember telling a friend he was nuts when he asked me to do a 5k that December.  Who would have thought I would run at 10 mile race in March of 2009!!  After I did that race, I asked that same friend what next.  He kept putting the idea of a sprint triathlon in my head.  I kept putting it off and ended up doing the last one of the season around here last year!  I loved it!! 

Family Status:  I have been with my husband, John, for 6 years and will celebrate our 5th anniversary in December.  We have two monsters, Joe and Logan.  Joe is 3 and Logan will be 2 in June.  I ask myself daily what I was thinking by having them so close!  They are the real reason I need to run!!

Current Training: Still trying to figure that out.  I will start a 20 week marathon plan in July.  Not sure what to do between now and then. 

This years Races:  I did a 10 mile run 2 weeks ago and dropped 13 minutes off my time from last year.  Yes...I am not a fast runner.  I am doing this to win!  I am doing the Philly Broad Street run in May.  I am crazy and signed up for the Philly maraton in November.  I have a few sprint tris in mind.  There are 2 in August I hope to do.  One is a beach run though so I am really on the fence about that one.

2009 Races:  A ten mile run in March and a sprint tri in October.  I had a rough time juggling family and training so I did not do too much.

Weight Loss:  This is daily struggle for me  I really want to be about 20 pounds less by the time I start training for the marathon.  I need help!!

2010-04-08 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Let me in!

Name: Corstan, aka Sandra

Story: I am 44 yrs old, and after a long time of indulgent living, I both decided it was time to get healthy and fit.  I enrolled in a bootcamp and completely changed my diet, 2 years later, I have lost 106 lbs and now teach the bootcamps that helped me get fit.  I was looking for a new challenge in my life and enjoy swimming, biking and running, so why not Triathlon.  I will be doing my first one in May 2010(Olympic) as well as my first half marathon.  Working a full time job and teaching bootcamp 3 times a week, and taking care of a family,  all while trying to get training time in, has been difficult at times and I know that this group will help keep me motivated and supported while I try to do it all.

Family: Happily married, with a wonderful Step-daughter who lives with us half time.  My husband who made the journey to get fit with me,  is also training for Tri's

Current training: averaging between 5-10 hrs per week

2010 races: BMO Half Mary May 2, UBC Olympic, in May 16 and Iron Mountain Triathlon in June 20

2010-04-08 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Sandra...I did not realize you are doing your first triathlon this year!
2010-04-08 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2777146

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-04-08 9:09 AM Sandra...I did not realize you are doing your first triathlon this year!

yep...getting close too, I'm very nervous and excited about it all.  The one I am doing has cut off times, but if you don't make the cutoff they still let you finish the rest of the race, you just can't place, so I'm good with that, since I doubt I would place in my first tri anyhow.  It is also a pool swim, which I am not crazy about, because I've never been a pool swimmer and probably why I haven't been very consistent with my swim training, for this tri, but I like the idea of the control, and not being amongst a mass of people at the beginning of the swim. 

2010-04-08 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
I would totally love to be part of your group!!  I am excited and will post my info right after I put my little one to bed.
2010-04-08 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2778616

User image

Veteran

Name Debbie

Story:  Well I am 29 years old and turn 30 in July!  Agh! I have exercised off and on all of my life.  I was on the swim team in high school, but haven't done much swimming since then.  Didn't do too much exercising during my college years and then 3 1/2 years ago decided I need to do something about the weight that kept creeping up.  I lost 40 lbs and started running.  Didn't realize how much I would like running and then I got pregnant.  Had my baby and a year after that decided I wanted to do a 1/2 marathon.  Trained like crazy for it and hurt my foot, but was too stuborn to not do my race 4 weeks out so I ran a 1/2 marathon with a torn tendon in my foot.  My goal was to finish and I did just that.  Since then I have put on about 10 lbs and had been thinking about a tri for a while. 

Family:  Married for 4 years and have a wonderful almost 2 year old, Nora.

Current training:  Started training for a July race and have been lacking motivation b/c the race was so far away.  Starting again on Monday because I signed up for another race in June!

2010 races:  I live in St. Louis so I am sticking to around town.  I one race June 26th and another one July 25th.

2009 races:  Lewis and Clark 1/2 marathon

Weight Loss:  I have stuggled with weight loss over the last few years since the birth of my daughter.  I would love to lose 15 pounds during this training and hope you all can help me do that! 

2010-04-08 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
OK, I'm doing this with the warning that I likely will not be doing much at all until my semester ends on May 3!!!

Name:  Erica

Story:  I've played soccer my entire life, and that always kept me in shape.  For about 6 months after my last soccer game my senior year of college, I did a great job of staying in shape.  Then, I graduated, got married, and went to law school.  And law school takes up almost all my time.  Since I started school again, I've gained 15-20 pounds, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's been like 2 sizes because I've lost almost all my soccer muscle.  I'd trained for triathlons before, but only during the off-seasons, so I know how to train.  But I've never raced (I've never had the money to!).  I love the training, mostly because I enjoy mixing it up.  I also really hate straight-up running, so it helps that I may only have to run 3 days a week!  I'm hoping to find a soccer team to play for this summer, also, since I'll have just work and no classes.  Law school is tougher than I thought and takes up a majority of my time, so ideally, I need to become more scheduled and get maximum results out of minimum time.  That's in a perfect world, though. 

Family Status:  Married to Ryan (Menglo) since August 2009, who has been doing triathlon stuff for years, (and makes me feel guilty every workout I miss), and my beautiful Alaskan Husky Nadie, who also makes me feel bad when I miss a workout because that means she doesn't have a running partner that day!  We both would like to do an IM before we even think about kids...

Current Training:  I'd been biking 3 times/week, running 3 times/week, and swimming 2 times/week.  Then I cut that down to just running and swimming because my bike hurt my knees.  Then the semester got insane, and now I can only get in workouts sporadically.  We live in downtown Milwaukee, so most of my workouts are on city sidewalks or my trainer!  And I just got a new bike to train on.  BUT this summer, I will only be working (probably not full-time), so I'll have much more time to train, promise.  I tend to be strong on the bike, and okay at swimming, but running is my downfall...

This Year's Races:  None, yet.  Still trying to get some money to pay for them.  But I'd like to do a sprint in Springfield, IL in June, and maybe another in Wisconsin in August.

Weightloss:  I'd like to lose 20-30 pounds this summer.  For the first time, I'm uncomfortable in my own body, and I'm in TWO WEDDINGS in August and September, so I want to order smaller bridesmaids dresses and actually fit into them!  I'd like to be an 8 by the end of the summer (12 now!).  However, I need lots of advice and support for this!!!  Since you were in a similar situation, I thought you might be the guy for the job!

Thank you!
2010-04-08 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Is there still room in this group for one more beginner?

I'm Pete.  I'm BRAND new to triathlons, and just signed up for my first sprint on July 10th.  If there's still room, let me know, and I'll post my story up here!  Hope to talk to you all soon! 
2010-04-08 8:34 PM

Name: Wisprunner/ Shauna

Story: I am 43. I have not competed in an actual triathlon that is swim/bike/run but I have done 2 canoe/run/bikes and 2 aquathons (swim/run).  I am not fast or competitive. I do this for a personal goal. It is also something that not everyone does and I like to be different. I have finished last in my first Aquathon. In our last group, I think it was Ken that said DFL>DNF>DNS(dead f*ing last is better than did not finish is better than did not start) and I really live by this. I am not so afraid to finish last anymore as I consider that I have already beaten most people out there and everyone that doesn't even try. I am addicted to this and am really having fun. Also, if I stop training I get fatter really quick! I still have 30 lbs to lose but that will come with time if I keep training.

Family status: I live with my boyfriend of 6+ years, Ryan, and we have an amazing little boy, Dalton, who is 2 and crazy, wild. Ryan is naturally fit and all muscle and couldn't gain wieght if he tried. He is afraid he couldn't do the swim part so he doesn't do regular tri's, just the canoe/run/bike. He is way faster than me (so is everyone) but he suffers the next day and I just go on about my merry way because I train way harder. HA! And yes I do kind of rub it in. Well, if he can be naturally thin then he deserves it!

Current Training: I train my own plan 5 days per week. They usually consist of 2 events, usually bike and run(or slog which is the reality). I am also trying to keep my cardio up to lose weight. After the weight is off, I plan to get a bike and start a real training plan for my goal of an Olympic distance and eventually 1 time 1/2 Ironman. I don't want to do all long distance events as I don't want my training to become a burden. If I keep it fun, I will be able to keep doing it, which is my real goal.

This years races: My first Sprint is April 17th then May 30th. Canoe/run/bike in June as well as a fun Amazing Race event(about 7.5 miles with fun challenges). July 1 sprint, August still deciding, Sept still deciding(maybe Olympic?)  and a fun 5 mile event-Oct- canoe/run/bike

Well, that is enough about me. Oh yeah, my name is not because I think I can run. I chose Wisprunner because Wisp was my horse I used for Barrel/pole racing when I showed horses. I have kept that name as my computer name when I was on Match.com(found Ryan) and did a blog for my son's adoption. So it is my lucky name, now it is for my tri's!

Looking forward to being part of this group. It keeps me accountable!

2010-04-08 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Welcome Pete, Debbie, and Edward!!  Glad you guys are joining us.  Can't wait to chat with you guys around here!!  Please don't let this mentor group flop because Tim will hold me responsible!!!  Excited to have you guys!

2010-04-08 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Debbie and Pete welcome...Erica that is not acceptable.  School is not important, only triathlons!    Totally kidding and welcome to the group. 

Once we get a few more in here, I'll close it down and post a few things to get the ball rolling.  Feel free to chat it up amongst each other.

Quick note...the easiest way I have found to get back to this page quickly is just bookmark it on whatever internet browser you are using.  Easier than going into the forums and picking it out every time.

Edited by chichitao 2010-04-08 9:06 PM
2010-04-08 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
I would like to join your group!

NAME: Tim

STORY: I ran track and cross country in high school and also ran my first marathon when I was 17.  Went to college and stopped running.  Decided at the age of 31 when I had my first kid that I didn't want to be one of the overweight dads who is not active but more of someone he could really look up to.  Started running again and did the Chicago Marathon the past three years.  Marathon training always seems to beat me up so I decided it was time for triathlon.  Plus I have always wanted to so an Ironman since I was a kid and I figure now is better than never.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 7 years with two kids ages 5 and 3.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I am currently following a BT Olympic distance trainign program for my first race in May.  I am then going to follow the 1/2 Ironman program for Branson in September.  I joined the local Masters Swimming program in January and has really helped.  I have been averaging around 10-12 hrs week training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
May 22 - Galena Triathlon (Sprint)  - Galena, IL
June 27 - Big Foot Triathlon (Olympic) - Lake Geneva, WI
August 1 - Chicago Rock-N-Roll 1/2 Marathon - Chicago, IL
Septemebr 19 - Branson 1/2 Ironman - Branson, MO

L2009 RACES: 
Chicago Marathon - 4:26
Naperville Turkey Trot 5K - 23:30
Chicago Shamrock Shuffle - 39:04

As I mentioned above my long term goal is to do either the Wisconsin IM or Kentucky IM next year.

Looking forward to participating in the group.
2010-04-08 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Alright, since I have been officially welcomed to this group, I'll give you guys the run down:

My Story:  Well, I'm 25 years old now, and my story really has to do with my weight loss section, so I'll just combine the two.  October 2008, my friend from high school got engaged, and I was part of the wedding party.  As it was going to be a whole big party of high school friends, I decided I didn't want to be the "fat " in the wedding party.  In January 2009, I decided to change my life around.  I was tipping the scales at 230 lbs, and at 5'8", that was just not acceptable.  I got my weight down to about 180 lbs, and decided that I wanted to have a long term goal to really motivate me to keep going with my fitness.  I decided, around my 25th birthday, that I wanted to complete an IM by the time I turn 30.  Having never done a triathlon before, it's a lofty goal, but it's doable...  

As for my weight, I have not been very good recently (since Christmas...), and have jumped back up to 190 lbs.  I hope to get down to 170 lbs by mid- to late-summer.  

Family Status:  Not much going on here...  Single, no kids, no family in Montreal (where I currently live...).  Leaves me LOTS of time to train!

Current Training:  Well, given that I have a lot of time on my hands, I have a lot of time to train!  I have started running and biking as much as possible, hoping to average about 5kms a day soon.  Also, hoping to complete around 30kms a day on the weekends on the bike.  Swimming starts May 1, so that'll really kick me into gear (as swimming will be the weak part of my tri...)

This Year's Races:  I have just signed up for my first tri, a sprint in July at my cottage for cancer research.  I may also compete in another sprint in August, and definitely one in September here in Montreal.  We'll see about further races than that!

Can't wait to hear from you all, and get training with you!  The motivation is going to be awesome.  I have done the forum thing for motivation in the past with past weight loss programs, and it is an amazing thing.  It works wonders!  We'll get each other through this!

Pete 
2010-04-08 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
and welcome as well Tim...this could get confusing.  i'll have to come up with a nickname for ya!

2010-04-09 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Shauna...I saw you are doing your first tri next weekend!  How are you feeling about it coming up?  What are the distances?  I was hoping to do a sprint that same day but I have no one for the boys.  My husband runs a restaurant on Univ of Pennsylvania's campus and the biggest track meet in this area is next week Thursday-Sunday.  I was hoping someone would be able to help me out but no such luck.  I was kinda bummed.  I could ride my bike to the tri in 5 minutes it is so close. 
2010-04-09 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2779180

Meggan,

That stinks that you can't find help so you can go to your tri that is so close! I feel totally ready for my first tri. It is only a 400-450 yd swim, 12-13 mile bike and a 5K run. The bike and run I do on a training day anyway. So I am just figuring adding a short swim and maybe trying to push myself a little. I am considering it just a big training day. I can't wait!
2010-04-09 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
That's awesome, Shauna!  Good luck!  If you do that on a training day, I'm sure you'll be fine with the race!  Do you have any more races planned for the summer?

How many races does everyone have planned?  I currently only am planning on running 2, maybe a third.  I have a friend who is doing 6 sprints and 2 Olys...  anyone have thoughts on what is too many/to few? 
2010-04-09 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2779285

Peter,

I am figuring about 2 sprints per month. I have several fun events as well. When I do Olympics I was thinking 1 per month. When I first started I was afraid to schedule too many sprints but since my training is close to sprint distance anyway, I think I will be ok. Just consider it a good workout.
2010-04-09 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2779285

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2010-04-09 7:15 AM That's awesome, Shauna!  Good luck!  If you do that on a training day, I'm sure you'll be fine with the race!  Do you have any more races planned for the summer?

How many races does everyone have planned?  I currently only am planning on running 2, maybe a third.  I have a friend who is doing 6 sprints and 2 Olys...  anyone have thoughts on what is too many/to few? 

I don't know.  I am so on the fence right now.  I am registered for a 10 mile run in May and the Philly marathon in November.  I am pretty sure I am doing 2 sprints in August.  One is run by a good friend our ours.  Last year was the first year and it was a huge success.  I could not be there for it last year though.  It will be a good fun family day since a few of my husband's college buddies will be doing it.  I am also looking at a sprint two weeks after that one.  My inlaws own a shore house and the sprint is in that town.  We are usually down that weekend anyway.  The only issue I have is that it is a beach run and I have yet to run on the beach.  I should get down to the beach a lot this summer so I will give it a shot. 

It is so hard for me to decide and register ahead of time for stuff unless it is something big and we know it will sell out.  I never know what weekends my husband will have to work.  My inlaws spend every weekend down the shore during the summer and can't really help out with the kids.  My parents go away a lot of weekends in the summer too and I refuse to ask my sister to help me with the kids.  They are young though!  I have plenty of time!

2010-04-09 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Ok, so the last mentor group I joined was WAY over my head (extreme veterans) and absorbed some really great info but hard to really participate at their level and struggled asking some very basic questions to get me up and going.  So I would like to try this again and see if I can benifit from a mentoring grouping.  Would you like another newbie??? 
2010-04-09 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
I currently have 3 tri's and a half marathon scheduled.  I tried to mix it up with a sprint, olympic and HIM.  The wife isn't extremely pleased with all the training, weekends filling up with races and the $$$ (especially the HIM -$255).  Just trying to butter her up for the full Ironman cost of over $550 for next year already - haha.

Good luck this weekend with your races!

2010-04-09 8:55 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
NAME: NRG42?Cheri

STORY: I am 33 and have been addicted to the endurance lifestyle since my first runner high .  I am a long time athlete in a team setting but brand new to the endurance sporting.  I been up and going for just short of a year now and learning as I go.  My plan for 2010 is to build my endurance and live a healthy, happy, balanced life.  I have little support system beside BT and most of my family and friends think I am crazy.  My ulitimate goal would to be to finish an ironman race in 2012-13.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married with two boys who are 4 and 8 (Jacob and Jason).

CURRENT TRAINING:
  Just started a BT training plan for 8 weeks for the Oly Distance.  Try to become more consistant and contine to build endurance.  I recently have purchased a new Blue Tri Bike, but refuse to take it off the trainer.  Never rode a bike before last year doing my first tri.....so a lot of work to do here. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have a busy Year of racing planed with doing 1-6 race per month, including 5K, 10K and 2-1/2 marathons, in addition to 2 sprints, 2 oly and a couple long rides.  This race schedule is NOT to race but to keep me motivated and help building my endurance. My first 1/2 marathon is April 24th and do to a small knee injury I am NOT well trained but my swimming has come along nicely

2009 RACES:
  5-5K, 2-8K, 2-10K, 1-15K all with slow but consistant times.  As for tris, 2 sprints and the Chicago Super sprint and sprint.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I am tall for a girl standing in a 5'10 and I weight 146 lbs.  My ideal race weight would be 139-142 but struggling to get that last couple of lbs off. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOREE:
  I really have no idea what I am doing and I have a great sense of humor and can bring some laughter to the group as I become comfortable with all the new names and faces. 

Edited by NRG42 2010-04-09 8:59 AM
2010-04-09 8:55 AM

Room for one more?

I'm Ruth, and I'm completely new to triathlon.

I'm 24 and single, so technically have lots of time to train, but I do have a horse who takes up a fair bit of my time.  I'm currently training around 6-10 hours/week though and will look to increase this as the season goes on.

I don't have any real sport background but there's always been lots of swimming, cycling and running in my family and I've been doing all three for a few years now so I thougt I may as well give combining them a go and I'm loving the training.

I ran a few half marathons last year, and I'm doing my first of this season on 9th May.

As for triathlons this year, I'm going to do a training day on May 16th to get me used to transitions and then I'm hoping to do a couple of sprints in June/July.  There's a series local to me which I can sign up to closer to the time.
Then the big target - London olympic distance on the weekend of august 8th/9th, I havent received my start day and time yet. 
I know an olympic distance might be a big target in my first season, but I'm never one for doing things by halves.  I'm already comfortable with a lot over the distance in each discipline so its more speed work for me now, and working on combining them I think!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103