BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-08-10 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Expert
Boston
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED
Hi all,

Well I didn't make it to my last tri.   It was a point to point off road sprint in which I had to have my own support.  My roving T zone - my husband - woke up saturday morning not feeling good at all!  Dizzy, nauseous, weak.  I didn't feel comfortable putting him behind the wheel of a car.  He felt so bad!!!  I told him not to worry he just owes me this race as a relay next year!!!   

I put plan B into action that very morning.  After I tucked him back into bed, I rode the Kancamagus Highway 13 miles up with the last 5 miles being a 9% grade.  Took me an hour and a half to get up to the "summit" at 2855 feet and only 35minutes or so to sail back down to the hotel!  YAHOO!  It was soooo good I did it again on the morning we left to come home.  Now I am home in flat Boston, jonesing for loooooong hills.   

Now it is the off season for me.  I have already planned cyclocross camp in 2 weeks.  I have one race I have been waiting for  for 4 years.   (thats a lot of 4's...LOL)    Its called Porky Gulch...its a 2 day event with a Crit thru Storyland, a 2 mile climb up Mt. Washington and an oblstacle course.   And then of course I am contemplating Puerto Rico 70.3  for next March, if I can get my achilles in the shape they need to be in.

I hope everyone is finding their mojo.  I know quite a few of us lost it for awhile!   And for those still racing this season.....Good luck.   

2010-08-10 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3033883

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Ahhhh I hate this when it happens--read someone elses post and gets me thinking--I can do that!!  Seren! after reading your post I see that you are (thinking) about the Ironman San Juan PR??  How much have you looked into the race?  Sounds very very interesting.  My sister in-law has a house on the island of Culebra off the coast of PR and we go there every Feb.  But with some major training and a little convincing of my wife--who knows?? Tell me more.
2010-08-10 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Seren - 2010-08-10 8:48 AM Hi all,

Well I didn't make it to my last tri.   It was a point to point off road sprint in which I had to have my own support.  My roving T zone - my husband - woke up saturday morning not feeling good at all!  Dizzy, nauseous, weak.  I didn't feel comfortable putting him behind the wheel of a car.  He felt so bad!!!  I told him not to worry he just owes me this race as a relay next year!!!   

I put plan B into action that very morning.  After I tucked him back into bed, I rode the Kancamagus Highway 13 miles up with the last 5 miles being a 9% grade.  Took me an hour and a half to get up to the "summit" at 2855 feet and only 35minutes or so to sail back down to the hotel!  YAHOO!  It was soooo good I did it again on the morning we left to come home.  Now I am home in flat Boston, jonesing for loooooong hills.   

Now it is the off season for me.  I have already planned cyclocross camp in 2 weeks.  I have one race I have been waiting for  for 4 years.   (thats a lot of 4's...LOL)    Its called Porky Gulch...its a 2 day event with a Crit thru Storyland, a 2 mile climb up Mt. Washington and an oblstacle course.   And then of course I am contemplating Puerto Rico 70.3  for next March, if I can get my achilles in the shape they need to be in.

I hope everyone is finding their mojo.  I know quite a few of us lost it for awhile!   And for those still racing this season.....Good luck.   
  Are you really serious about PR--if so, would love the chance to talk more about it with you.  Perhaps a meeting is in our future as my wife and I travel to Boston quite a bit-our daughter lives in Back Bay!!
2010-08-11 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3033382

User image

Expert
Dragonflyer - sorry to hear that you are going through this crap.  There is nothing fun about busted ribs and they take forever to heal.  I hope they get better ASAP.
2010-08-11 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Seren:
Glad to hear you are still at it.  I know I feel off the face of the earth - but it sounds like a lot of the original members of the group have struggled through their fair share of injuries.  I do hope that your heel gets better for your 70.3... Just the other day I saw a car with a 70.3 sticker on it and I commented to my wife, "wow - people who can pull those off are machines.  Frickin machines."  You can do it!

Seren - 2010-08-10 7:48 AM Hi all,

2010-08-11 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3020829

User image

Expert
Hi All:
I'm just checking in - from what it sounds like, a lot of us are struggling through injuries.  I'm in the same boat.  So this week, I'm trying to take it easy and only work out for an hour with the hopes that my ITB will stop bugging me and I can make a big push to get in shape for the buzzard bay tri in september.  Yesterday I did 20 minutes on the bike (down from 50 minutes) and my leg still hurt.  

Wishing you all well!
DQ 

2010-08-11 2:41 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Let me just say bronchitis for 3 weeks sucks. I hope to be back and moving momentarily.

2010-08-11 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Bit the bullet and go out on my bike today for about 20 miles--wanted to test the ribs--not bad at all, I am happy to report.  Unable to get down on the bars but really tested myself and taking deep breaths was not a problem.  So my next step is running-a little pain is good for the soul--besides I have a race in just under 3  weeks and will not miss another one!!
2010-08-12 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Step #2 on the road to rib recovery--ran a 5k today--not bad--a little painful but rise above.  I sooo miss training
2010-08-15 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3035950

User image

Expert
Boston
Dragonflyer - 2010-08-10 10:21 PM
Seren - 2010-08-10 8:48 AM Hi all,

Are you really serious about PR--if so, would love the chance to talk more about it with you.  Perhaps a meeting is in our future as my wife and I travel to Boston quite a bit-our daughter lives in Back Bay!!

I hope you got my PM!   and I hope your  ribs are feeling better!
2010-08-15 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
We all are getting a little scarce around here--everyone doing ok?

2010-08-17 4:57 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
i'm actually taking some time of from working out.  Racing had given my workouts such purpose that I forgot to enjoy!  Its tuff for me to take this time off but I just think of the alternative (feeling grumpy, listless, hating the workout.....)

I am going to cyclocross camp next Saturday and SUnday.  I am psyched for that!
2010-08-17 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
On the road to recovery---trying to push through the pain in the ribs--and you know what--I CAN DO THIS--Sprint 8/28
2010-08-17 6:13 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Update from me. I seem to be almost done with the bronchitis. Still coughing some. Body sore from a long weekend of activities with the family.

I have signed up for both the sprint and oly distance races at Cranberry in less than two weeks. I am no longer ready. I am actually kind of scared. My goal of having two great A races has morphed into making sure I save enough for great finish line photos on both days. At least I am getting some of my mojo back!!

2010-08-18 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3049040

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
know the feeling all to well of losing ground after being injuried--but it feels great to be on the come back trail--push it (but be smart)
2010-08-19 8:11 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica

Off to the race tomorrow to pick up Timberman race packet and little scouting. Little worried about the early start 4am and then the what is looking like to be a lot of waiting around to get going. My swim wave doesn't start for 50 min after the 1st wave and that is at 7:50 am. Do they let you take naps on the beach while you wait to start Anyway wanted to say thanks to everyone for the bits of advice and motivation along the way since last winters "Group". I will check in after the weekend.

2010-08-20 5:23 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Best of luck Steve. Not quite sure why you need to be there that early, but avoiding the chaos of setting up at such a huge event is helpful. Last suggestion if you get it before the race. Make sure you eat a bunch if you are up that early. You burn a ton of energy just waiting for your start. I suggest an extra gel or 2 as the first wave goes off so you still have energy waiting on the beach.

2010-08-20 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3053831

User image

Expert
Boston
scogz1 - 2010-08-19 9:11 PM

Off to the race tomorrow to pick up Timberman race packet and little scouting. Little worried about the early start 4am and then the what is looking like to be a lot of waiting around to get going. My swim wave doesn't start for 50 min after the 1st wave and that is at 7:50 am. Do they let you take naps on the beach while you wait to start Anyway wanted to say thanks to everyone for the bits of advice and motivation along the way since last winters "Group". I will check in after the weekend.

Go, Steve, GO!!!!!! I have cyclocross camp this weekend.   I must learn to love to fall!!!! I already love the mud!  I am psyched.   I'll let you guys know how it goes.
2010-08-20 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3053831

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

scogz1 - 2010-08-19 9:11 PM

Go get 'em Steve.  Have fun and enjoy yourself.  It's a great area to have a race.

2010-08-21 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Have a great race--let us all know how it goes
2010-08-23 9:41 AM

User image

Regular
Billerica
Thanks for all the comments and inspires. I nailed it Crushed my total self predicted times by a good 30 minutes and finished in 5:59:48. I will get race report up as I got a lot to say that would take to much time here. I did miss out on breakfast with the winner of the Pro womans race (CW) she just sat down at the table with my wife and started chit chatting like they were long lost friends. This was of course after my wife dropped me off Thanks again.

2010-08-26 9:37 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
I finished race report finally. I hope the link works.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=224108

I have gracefully bowed out of Cranberry Sprint as my IT band is still very sore. I WILL be there next year on a injury waiver. Just glad somebody else can race cause I don't think I could run right now.
2010-08-29 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
JUst checking in once again.  It's great to see all the progress people are making.

I've been working hard this month and have managed to drop 5 pounds and avoid getting injured.  I went for a fast ride this morning and my IT band only ached a bit.  I've got the Buzzards bay tri in 3 weeks.  Not sure if I should do it because I have not gotten as far in my training as I would have liked.  I think I should finish it - but the swim and run would suck.  Anyone know if you can skip part of the race or do you have to do all three sections?

Anyway, I'm stoked to be back in the saddle again.

Good luck to you all!
2010-08-29 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Another race done--did GREAT!!  am very happy to say my swim was my best (after being stressed out about it since my last race--it really proves-practice, practice and then do some more practice)  Finished 2nd in my age group and in the top 30% over all.  Was so pleased to be able to get out of the water and run without being gased--just a great feeling all together. It was a nice sunny day and eveything went so well--can you see my smileCool
2010-08-29 7:09 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Just got finished with the Cranberry Sufferfest Trifest .  Got a chance to say hello to our fearless leader, sorry we could not have gotten more of a chance to chat. Had a great weekend competing in the King and Queen contest. This was for fastest combined time for both the Sprint race on Sat. and the Oly on Sunday. I am pleased to say I finished 16th overall!! My best field placement yet!! Before you all get too excited, only 16 people finished both races The good news was that I heard over 25 people signed up for both, so that is a good start. RR to be posted in next 48 hours.

It has been fun training with everyone this summer.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27