Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Organ Donor Awareness - National Donate Life Month Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-10 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Organ Donor Awareness - National Donate Life Month
April is National Donate Life Month and I would like to tell you my story.  My granddaughter, Lily, was born in August of 2006.  When she was 6 weeks old she was diagnosed with Biliary Atrisia, a life threatening disease that required a liver transplant.  On April 6, 2007 Lily received her gift of life.  Today Lily is a healthy, happy, sassy 4 year old because a family was able to see through their grief of loosing a child and donating her organs.  Not only was Lily saved, but this family saved 6 other individuals waiting for transplants.  My family will forever be grateful to the donor's family.

More than 98,000 people are in need of an organ for transplant. Each day, about 77 people get the organ transplant that gives them a second chance, but 17 to 19 others die because they did not receive an organ transplant.

Please  if you would like to be a donor do the following:
  • Register with your State Donor Registry, if available.
  • Say YES to donation on your driver's license.
  • Tell your family, friends, physician, and faith leader that you want to be a donor.
  • Fill out and sign a donor card, have it witnessed, carry it with you.

Be A Hero, Be An Organ Donor

2010-04-10 3:12 PM
    in reply to: #2782274

User image

Lafayette, CO
    Subject: RE: Organ Donor Awareness - National Donate Life Month
    Thank you for sharing your story!  So wonderful to hear these happy endings.

I'll share my 2 stories.  The first is of a friend who has battled autoimmune hepatitis for many years.  In December of 2007 he moved to Jacksonville FL to await a transplant through the Mayo Clinic.  For over a year we waited until, on March 22nd 2009 he finally got the call!  Although his road has had challenges we are celebrating the extra time we have with him and looking forward to a summer of camping and fun. 

Then in October of last year my 23 year old cousin died after being on life support for 4 days.  None of us expected it but her mother made the choice to donate her organs.  We know that her organs and tissue saved or drastically improved the lives of 18 people.  I miss my cousin.  My heart breaks every time I think of her life cut short.  But I'll tell you that the knowledge that 18 families don't have broken hearts because mine does makes it easier to get through the tough times.  I am so fortunate that I have been blessed to see the miracle from both sides. 

Colorado now has a Donate Life license plate which I got for my new car and every time I see it I hope that just one person was reminded to sign up or made the choice to donate their loved one's organs. 

2010-04-10 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
    Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
    As someone who might need an organ in the future (hope not, but it's part of the reality of a lifetime diagnosis) , I figure it's only fair that I be willing to give up my own. Heck, I won't need them, I'll be dead! Might as well give what I can to someone who needs them, who knows what impact that could have on their life and the lives of their loved ones.

"Don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here!"
    2010-04-10 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    pinoy city
    2010-04-10 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    pinoy city

oops sorry wrong datehttp://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=128767&title=No%20slowing%20him%20down

2010-04-11 6:04 PM
    in reply to: #2782881

User image

Veteran
    cdom - 2010-04-10 10:41 PM

oops sorry wrong datehttp://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=128767&title=No%20slowing%20him%20down

Great article thank you for sharing.  You are one of the "lucky" ones and you also live your life to the fullest, good for you!

2010-04-13 4:39 PM

User image

Pro
    Evanston,
    OK, as athletic people who put ourselves at the mercy of drivers out there on the roads... we can at least make sure SOMETHING good came of it if the worst were to happen.

The most important part is letting your family know, right?
    2010-04-13 7:31 PM
    in reply to: #2789346

User image

Veteran
    CitySky - 2010-04-13 5:39 PM OK, as athletic people who put ourselves at the mercy of drivers out there on the roads... we can at least make sure SOMETHING good came of it if the worst were to happen.

The most important part is letting your family know, right?

CitySky - thank you, you are correct, let your family and loved ones know!
    2010-04-13 8:33 PM

User image

Master
    Lake Norman, NC
    I am so already there!  Card, will, living will, directives...

My philosophy is, "I ain't gonna need any of it where I'm going so fillet me up like a fish!  Recycle me baby!  RECYCLE!  Organs, eyes to the blind, ears to the deaf, hair to the bald, skin to a burn victim - I don't care.  Put whatever's left over into a shoe box, drop me into the ground and then go party and everyone have a drink on me!  That $5,000 some would spend on a fancy coffin?  Use it for an open bar instead."

Pretty simple plan.  Wink

2010-04-15 5:44 PM
    in reply to: #2789855

User image

Veteran
    Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-04-13 9:33 PM I am so already there!  Card, will, living will, directives...

My philosophy is, "I ain't gonna need any of it where I'm going so fillet me up like a fish!  Recycle me baby!  RECYCLE!  Organs, eyes to the blind, ears to the deaf, hair to the bald, skin to a burn victim - I don't care.  Put whatever's left over into a shoe box, drop me into the ground and then go party and everyone have a drink on me!  That $5,000 some would spend on a fancy coffin?  Use it for an open bar instead."

I love your attitude!  You are so right.  I am probably too old (59) to have my organs donated, but I  am donating my body to  medical science.  The new breed of docs have to start somewhere, why not with me??  And you docs that were in medical school, who did you practice on?  Surgeons, where did you get your start?  You need folks like us, right Bigfuzzydoug??Innocent
    2010-04-15 6:50 PM

User image

Pro
    Twin Cities
    It's not a kidney or a heart or a lung, but I received a bone graft from a cadaver donor this winter. I actually have the little thank you card all filled out and ready to send back in.

Thanks to that donor, I will be able to continue to be active and healthy and do the sports that I love for many more years (not to mention simply walking around without being in pain)--AND keep all my own joints. :-)

It's not just the "big stuff" that donors help with...there are also many non-life saving, butstill  life enhancing, procedures that organ and tissue donors provide for, as well.

I have been a donor since I was 14 and got my learner's permit. I'm with BFD...when I go, give away everything that is of use, cremate the rest, scatter my ashes in the Boundary Waters, and then have a big fat party. In lieu of a headstone, plant a tree with some of my ashes at the base.

And, as a side note...I highly recommend the book "Stiff: The Curious Lives of the Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach. WONDERFUL book that details not only what happens when you donate your body  to science/medicine, but also talks about alternatives to burial, life after death, and a ton of other interesting things.

2010-04-15 8:22 PM
    in reply to: #2795050

User image

Veteran
    mmrocker13 - 2010-04-15 7:50 PM It's not a kidney or a heart or a lung, but I received a bone graft from a cadaver donor this winter. I actually have the little thank you card all filled out and ready to send back in.

Thanks to that donor, I will be able to continue to be active and healthy and do the sports that I love for many more years (not to mention simply walking around without being in pain)--AND keep all my own joints. :-)

It's not just the "big stuff" that donors help with...there are also many non-life saving, butstill  life enhancing, procedures that organ and tissue donors provide for, as well.

I have been a donor since I was 14 and got my learner's permit. I'm with BFD...when I go, give away everything that is of use, cremate the rest, scatter my ashes in the Boundary Waters, and then have a big fat party. In lieu of a headstone, plant a tree with some of my ashes at the base.

And, as a side note...I highly recommend the book "Stiff: The Curious Lives of the Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach. WONDERFUL book that details not only what happens when you donate your body  to science/medicine, but also talks about alternatives to burial, life after death, and a ton of other interesting things.

Thank you for your post!  This is what I am talking about!!  Why waste away in a box in the ground when we can do so much more for  human kind.  For me, when the medical world is done with my body, I will be spread over Lake Winnipeasaukee, where my husband spent all of his childhood, where we lived together and the home of my very first triathlon!
    2010-04-15 8:26 PM
    in reply to: #2794943

User image

Champion
    Urbandale, IA
    wildred - 2010-04-15 5:44 PM
    Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-04-13 9:33 PM I am so already there!  Card, will, living will, directives...

I love your attitude!  You are so right.  I am probably too old (59) to have my organs donated, but I  am donating my body to  medical science.  The new breed of docs have to start somewhere, why not with me??  And you docs that were in medical school, who did you practice on?  Surgeons, where did you get your start?  You need folks like us, right Bigfuzzydoug??Innocent

A common belief that is not necessarily correct.  The viability of organs is remarkable, especially when coming from someone that is conscious of their physical well-being.  There are many transplant donors that are well into their 60's - and considering the alternative - being one of the 18 to die each day - I would have taken a 60 year old kidney and pancreas vs leaving my children fatherless. 
    Additionally, as stated previously, some of the most important work being done at this point is through tissue donation.  While it rarely "saves" lives (except for bone marrow) it certainly restores life to a much better quality.  For instance:
    Bones
    Tendons
    Cartalidge
    Skin
    Cornea
    Whole Globe Eye
    Arteries
    Veins
    inner ear
    middle ear
    Heart Valves

Amazingly, at any age we can participate in donation of these items.  In many cases we see people that have hearts that are not top notch, but the valves are perfect.  Never say never.  The docs will be able to determine better than us. 

If you would like some tear bringing video inspiration - I invite you to watch these videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/myangelfoundation#p/a/u/2/nezmbygKIhE

Edited by jdwright56 2010-04-15 8:30 PM
    2010-04-17 6:00 PM
    in reply to: #2795155

User image

Veteran
    jdwright56 - 2010-04-15 9:26 PM
    wildred - 2010-04-15 5:44 PM

A common belief that is not necessarily correct.  The viability of organs is remarkable, especially when coming from someone that is conscious of their physical well-being.  There are many transplant donors that are well into their 60's - and considering the alternative - being one of the 18 to die each day - I would have taken a 60 year old kidney and pancreas vs leaving my children fatherless. 
    Additionally, as stated previously, some of the most important work being done at this point is through tissue donation.  While it rarely "saves" lives (except for bone marrow) it certainly restores life to a much better quality.  For instance:
    Bones
    Tendons
    Cartalidge
    Skin
    Cornea
    Whole Globe Eye
    Arteries
    Veins
    inner ear
    middle ear
    Heart Valves

Amazingly, at any age we can participate in donation of these items.  In many cases we see people that have hearts that are not top notch, but the valves are perfect.  Never say never.  The docs will be able to determine better than us. 

If you would like some tear bringing video inspiration - I invite you to watch these videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/myangelfoundation#p/a/u/2/nezmbygKIhE

Good post and good point!  Thanks for sharing your experience.  This is so near and dear to my heart I really want to get the word out thanks for your help!
    2010-04-19 2:32 PM
    in reply to: #2795050

User image

Master
    Lake Norman, NC
    mmrocker13 - 2010-04-15 7:50 PM It's not a kidney or a heart or a lung, but I received a bone graft from a cadaver donor this winter. I actually have the little thank you card all filled out and ready to send back in.

Very cool.  Plant a tree.  Something like... a peach or orange tree.  Then people can continue to enjoy the sweet taste of your seed for many many years after you're gone.  I love it!

Tongue out

Sorry - I couldn't help myself.

New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Organ Donor Awareness - National Donate Life Month Rss Feed