General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from sunny Idaho!? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-12 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Hello from sunny Idaho!?
Hey there everyone I've been hanging around the site for the past couple of weeks and I thought it was about time I make myself known. I'm almost ready to commit to a sprint tri over in Boise coming up here in August. I'm a bit intimitaded and because of that I have not completely commited. I am however gonna run my first 5k in early May for the Susan G. Komen race for the cure. Walked it last year with the wife and kid and told her I was gonna run it this year, so I kinda have to!! So I'm gearing up for that with the thought that I could train for the sprint tri not long after as well. I'm probably biting off more then I can chew with this, but that tends to be my nature. So the first issue is that I'm looking to get myself so new running shoes, but I'm not sure what is best. After a bit of reading up I've found that I have probably have not had the right kind of shoes for a guy my size and don't want to make that mistake again. I'm a solid 245 lbs so I'm looking for a shoe that can handle the force I'll put on it and have some kind of longevity. Money is not plentiful, so cost will play a part. Any thoughts? I'm also curious if there is anyone on the boards here that is nearby, could use a compadre getting ready for this. I'm not in Boise just a short hope West in Caldwell. Thanks in advance for the help.

2010-04-12 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2786545

User image

Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Hello from sunny Idaho!?

Hey, Just wanted to throw in my encourgment, I started to train for a sprint tri about a month ago, and am weighting in at 209lbs.  I am in Portland, so probably a little to far to help as a training partner, but, just wanted to say Hi, and welcome to BT, tons of cool people here.  Check out the training log section, it is a good place to show others your progress, and make friends.

Cheers,

Whit

2010-04-14 8:03 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Hello and welcome!

The best bet for finding a good pair of running shoes is to go to a running-specific store.   Is there one in Boise?  They will check your feet & gait and recommend some shoes.  Then you can try on a bunch of comparable shoes right there in the store.

There are also state-specific forums on this site (go to the bottom of the Forums page and you will see a link to the list of State forums).  I don't know whether the Idaho forum is active or not, but it would be worth a peek.  They could tell you about a running shoe store.

Good luck on your upcoming race!
2010-04-16 10:17 PM

User image

Boise, Idaho
Best running shops in the Boise area in my opinion are --  The Pulse in Meridian, Shu's Idaho Running Company in downtown, or The Athlete's Foot in Eagle.  Any one of those have great people that will help you get the right shoe.
2010-04-17 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2797760

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Yay for Idaho!

I second going to the Pulse. They're on Eagle across from the Applebee's. Good shoes are important.

The treasure valley is a great place to train for triathlons. I especially like living in Nampa because I run/ride for a mile and I'm out of the city and there is so much open road.

2010-04-18 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2798445

User image

Regular
Hey thanks for the replies!! Good to see a couple of folk here in town with the suggestions. I ended up at Bandana downtown and had a really solid guy there help me out and I ended up with a pair of asics. Been out on a few runs since and boy am I noticing a difference!!! My old asics were more then past their prime!! Hey Chosenprovidence I'm just a short hop from you in Caldwell. Where do you like to ride? I've been headin out towards Lake Lowell, away from the city, but I'm always feeling like someone is gonna clear me of the road any second!!

2010-04-18 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Welcome to one of the best sites on the net.  BT rawks.  Glad you are here. 

2010-04-19 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2800055

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Lake Lowell is the best place to ride. There are so many roads out here to ride it's great. The only downside is chipseal and they're re doing a lot of the roads right now. I run the lake area as well.
2010-04-20 8:46 PM

User image

Regular

Okay so I've freaking out a little bit!! I've been reading many a posts of new folk here on the site and it seems to me the majority have some type of swimming, running or biking backround. Now here I am, I played a bit of high school football and the crazy active sport of golf, but no track or competitive swimming. I'm just worried that I'm taking way too big of a bite!!! I'm using a training program from this site and I'm feeling better after every workout so it seems like I'm making some headway. I guess I'm just hoping that there is someone out there that has been or is in my shoes. Anyone out there like me?? Please I could use some encouragement. Thanks

2010-04-30 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2805881

User image

Cochip - 2010-04-20 9:46 PM

Okay so I've freaking out a little bit!! I've been reading many a posts of new folk here on the site and it seems to me the majority have some type of swimming, running or biking backround. Now here I am, I played a bit of high school football and the crazy active sport of golf, but no track or competitive swimming. I'm just worried that I'm taking way too big of a bite!!! I'm using a training program from this site and I'm feeling better after every workout so it seems like I'm making some headway. I guess I'm just hoping that there is someone out there that has been or is in my shoes. Anyone out there like me?? Please I could use some encouragement. Thanks

Oh to be back in Idaho! Lived in Boise from '84-'86 then Twin Falls in '95. I know that it has changed drastically in the past years.
Don't let the posts freak you out! Started on this road in '07 at over 250 lbs. Could only swim 2 laps of a 25 meter pool, run on the treadmill: 1min run 2 min walk for 30 minutes and ride an old mountain bike for 30 minutes. BTW I was 47 when I started this route. My wife has been amazed at how I have stuck with it. Down to 170 last year (kind of let it slip this winter). I will say that due to medical reasons I drastically modified my diet but what I am attempting to say is look at what others are doing for the motivation, but remember don't let that intimidate you.
I too, picked a training plan from this site as my first plan and it really helped me have the confidence to complete my first Olympic in '08. It sounds like you are on the right track, just keep focused on your goals.

Edited by vinuzot 2010-04-30 9:01 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from sunny Idaho!? Rss Feed