Lake Elsinore, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 37s
Overall Rank = 25/5361
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/1006
Pre-race routine:

Dressed as the 80s wrestler Ultimate Warrior for this race, so I was up early to have my war paint put on and get into costume. Then off for a long drive to the race venue.
Event warmup:

Walked around the venue like a celebrity and had my picture taken with many adoring fans. Did a pre-race interview with G4 TV then headed to the start line.
Run
  • 22m 37s
  • 3.08 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great race. I mainly there to have a good time, and going face was just a bonus. It was a success on both levels. Sure, I could have run harder and plowed my way through all the obstacles, but that wasn't why I was there. I had a blast out on the course, getting the most fun out of the day and going fast during the open trail sections. It was a good mix of fun and workout.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I guess I could decide to focus on trying to podium vs. just going out and really having fun and soaking it in with the main pack, but I think I found a pretty good balance.
Post race
Warm down:

6 mile run (not so much a warm-down, more so a bonus workout)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not going to answer this. I wasn't there to go faster.

Event comments:

This is a fun race to spice up your season without taking a toll on your normal training and schedule. It has a good mix of people that are having fun and people that are racing. The later you stay through out the day, the more drunk people you will encounter.

Last updated: 2009-12-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:37 | 03.08 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/1006
Overall: 25/5361
Performance: Average
Course: Course was designed to be hellish! It started off with a long stretch down a dusty path with sun beating down on you as you're led into the unknown. You then make a turn off the path and run though weeds toward the first obstacle, "hay fever", where you have to climb over hay barrels stacked three high. A short run after that your path is blocked by "junker jump" where you must run on top of junked cars to make your way to the other side. Further down the back course you reach the "warrior wall," a series of three four four walls that you must hurdle yourself over. Down the dirty path some more to the "tunnels of terror" which force you to get on your hands and knees and crawl through the tube of your choice. Once through the tunnels of terror you're rewarded with the one and only aid station, which was much appreciated due to the heat and dust turning your mouth into a glue factory. Another long run segment leads you to a gully which you can only cross by walking the balance beam sized plank then running up the other side, only to have to run back down into the gully for the "tumbleweed tickler" where you must leap over tumbleweeds and hay stacks that fill the ravine. Back up the side of the gully, but this time no so easy, the hill is lined with car tires for "high knee hell". Once you're at the top you're almost home free, almost. Back on the main dirt road, you face the "cargo climb" a short, but difficult climb up and over a cargo net. The course then detours down into the lake, where you face the "breathless bog" and must roll yourself over a series of logs in the water before making your way back up the final climb and straight into "muddy mayhem", a mud filled pit topped off with barbed wire to keep your belly in the mud. After that, it's just a hop skip and jump to finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes