General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurox R4 and Recoverite Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-14 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: Endurox R4 and Recoverite
Curious as to which flavors you all prefer in either of these recovery drinks?  This past weekend, I tried a single-serve packet of Recoverite (Citrus flavor) that I picked up at REI.  It was the only flavor they had in the single packs, and I wanted to try it out first before getting a big jug of it.  Boy am I glad I did...because that stuff was gawd AWFUL!!!  It looked like dirty water, and tasted about the same.  Won't be getting that flavor EVER again.   Would like to try the Endurox R4 stuff, but am now hesitant due to how bad the Recoverite was.   Any flavors that I should steer clear of?  What are your favorites? 

2010-04-15 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2792918

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Endurox R4 and Recoverite
Thanks for the warning (I think), I just bought a sample size of Recoverite yesterday to use after my 1st Oly on Saturday.  Not cheap, either ($3.14 at the bike shop).

Now I'm wondering if I should pick up something other than Recoverite.

Here's a review of different brands which includes taste tests:
http://www.sportsbistro.com/articles/recovery-drink-review-and-round-up.html
2010-04-15 1:04 PM

I have both and have been a steady Hammer buyer. Here is what you need to know:

Hammer uses complex sugars over simple. Or more simply put, their stuff will not have they "oh wow that tastes great!" feeling.

The endurox has a TON of sugar. So obviously, that masks the "bad" flavor.

Cannot really comment on the effects of either as I dont notice it really. But I take it after long rides/runs because I know it doesn't hurt!

So its really a personal preference. Once you start eating healthy and realizing the amount of sugar in supplements and foods it becomes easier to handle. I dont mind recoverite at all.
2010-04-16 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2794176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Thanks for posting that article, it does get a lot of traction with our readers. 

I too hated the Citrus Recoverite (just feel good that you bought a single serving when I thought the 80 serving tub would be a nice way to try something new!  Doh!).  But I recently tried Chocolate and LOVED it.  Totally different with only a slightly more bitter taste than chocolate milk but all of the good ingredients Hammer is known for.  I did a product review on it here:  http://teamsportsbistro.blogspot.com/2010/04/chocolate-hammer-nutrition-recoverite.html

Endurox is a lot sweeter and some people do prefer it.  But the extra sugar isn't great so that's the downfall.  But they taste VERY different so it's worth it to try both and then pick the one you like.

Other popular recovery drinks are Gu Recovery Brew and Fluid as well.  Both have lighter tastes and less sugar than Recoverite.  Personally I like the Gu Recovery Brew in Orange Pineapple. 
2010-04-17 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the feedback on the Chocolate Recoverite.  I tried the Citrus after an OLY tri today, it truly was one of the most disgusting things I ever had.   Maybe the Chocolate will be better.
2010-04-18 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2798981

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
windandsurf - 2010-04-17 9:43 PM Thanks for the feedback on the Chocolate Recoverite.  I tried the Citrus after an OLY tri today, it truly was one of the most disgusting things I ever had.   Maybe the Chocolate will be better.

Ha ha...well I DID warn you about it.  Tongue out   I stopped into a running store over the weekend and scored some single-serve packets of the chocolate and strawberry Recoverite, as well as single-serve packets of fruit punch and orange Endurox and watermelon GU Brew Recovery.  So I'm stocked for awhile and will try each of these over the next few weekends.  

2010-04-19 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2800197

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
nscrbug - 2010-04-18 9:36 PM
windandsurf - 2010-04-17 9:43 PM Thanks for the feedback on the Chocolate Recoverite.  I tried the Citrus after an OLY tri today, it truly was one of the most disgusting things I ever had.   Maybe the Chocolate will be better.

Ha ha...well I DID warn you about it.  Tongue out   I stopped into a running store over the weekend and scored some single-serve packets of the chocolate and strawberry Recoverite, as well as single-serve packets of fruit punch and orange Endurox and watermelon GU Brew Recovery.  So I'm stocked for awhile and will try each of these over the next few weekends.  

Yes, you did warn me.  Looking forward to your taste reports so I don't make the same mistake!
2010-04-20 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa

Strawberry Recoverite is my favorite and much better than the Citrus.  I like to mix mine the night before and put it in the fridge so it is ice cold and it is very good.....give it a try!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurox R4 and Recoverite Rss Feed