General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gear for half ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-15 9:58 PM

Subject: gear for half ironman
hi all
i'm doing my first half ironman and was wondering what the easiest clothes to swim bike and run in
and also-while biking should i use a camel back bag for hydration or just water bottles and also for energy bars and gels-a small bag or belt

any advice is greatly appreciated-(i am a gal)

thanks

2010-04-15 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2795336

User image

Subject: RE: gear for half ironman
When is your HIM?  And what are you currently using today (nutrition/hydration)?

I find that I want to basically just scale out my 'operation' from a sprint straight to an Ironman.  Meaning, just because the distance changes, my nutrition doesn't really change any.  It just scales out to more bottles (and more gel).

I would be hesitant to utilize a camelback on the bike unless you're already super-comfortable with it.  I actually used one on the run (IMRI703, IMFL, IMC), mostly because in the summer heat I wanted to force myself to keep a hydration schedule.  In other words, I'd have no excuse not to drink.

From a clothing standpoint, the only change I make between sprint and Ironmand is that at the Oly or shorter distance I tend to go more one-piece, whereas at the HIM and longer level I'll go two piece.  Simply in case I need to stop along the way....

In general though - the old rule always applies: Do in training what you plan to do in a race.  So you'll have plenty of time to test out everything from clothing to nutrition.

Good luck!
2010-04-16 1:51 PM

New user
Bay Area
I would be think both ease AND comfort if it was my first 70.3. You don't give a location for your event or your experience level ..but a couple of  things to keep in mind are..

What is the weather going to be like getting out of the water?..What time is your wave start? (as this will effect the temp. you will see later on the course). What water temp are you looking at for you OWS?  Is it a coastal race..i.e. is there going to be fog that burns off? (Your going to want layers)   Are you a strong cyclist or are you going to be on the bike for a long time?  If the later you may want to put on real cycling shorts. How hot is the run course going to be? Are you going to need a hat,  suntan lotion and a shirt with more skin coverage.

Again, not sure of your goal but taking an extra minute or two in T1 and T2 in your first race can make or break the enjoyment of your day.

I would also suggest you take a look in " Race Reports " and see what others have said about the conditions and on course support for this race.

Good Luck.
2010-04-16 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I tend to be fairly minimalist at the HIM distance (as with sprint and oly).  Tri top and shorts worn throughout the race, 2 bottles on the bike (one picked up on the course for a total of 3).  I might deviate from this if I was anticipating extreme weather (throw on a shirt in T1 if it was cold, or drink more if it was hot).  I hate carrying stuff when I run, so I live off the course entirely.  To prepare for this, I take a drink every mile during my long runs (rather than drinking continuously).  Again, if it was really hot, I might deviate from this plan and carry a bottle with me.

There is no single "right way" to do things.  I think the key is to figure out what works for you in training, and then make a plan and stick to it during the race.

2010-04-19 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2797497

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
x2 with above

check out what teh race supplies as far as nutrition and how often to see what u want
2010-04-19 3:27 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Just finished my first HIM, X2 to above:

Tri shorts, top.  Aero bottle and one in the cage.  Infinit in one and Gatorade the other.  Lived off the course for more drinks.  Gel and couple of bars in bento box as I am not a big powerbar fan but did grab one on the ride.  Also hate carrying things on the run plus anything I am carrying will be warm, so for the run I live off the course.  The run was fairly warm (in the 80's) and I was able to hydrate quite fine.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gear for half ironman Rss Feed