General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diamond in the Rough (Perryville, MD) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-25 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: Diamond in the Rough (Perryville, MD)

Has anyone in BTland entered this race before?  I'd be curious as to your impressions.  Yesterday I tried to ride the bike course and gave up after about 10 miles.  The roads were in lousy shape (lots of potholes and chewed up pavement), there were virtually no shoulders, there was lots of traffic. The course goes through two downtown areas (parked cars, opening car doors, pedestrians, etc...) and has numerous intersections.  My wife dropped me off and after riding on pins and needles due to the two way traffic on shoulderless roads for 35 minutes I called her up to come get me.  I was quite discouraged.  The rough part of the name is obvious - its kind of a cross between road tri and xterra. 

In addition, I can not imagine where the swim is going to be conducted.  According to the map on the website, the swim course is on the Susquehanna Flats, but that shoreline has almost no access - high bank, and lots of trees and debris washed up on the shore.  Oh, and lots of bass boats.  It's going to be a bear on a SW wind. 

2005-06-25 9:56 AM
in reply to: #183406

New user

Maryland
Subject: RE: Diamond in the Rough (Perryville, MD)
I did it last year, and am going again this year. The swim is in the mighty Susq. River.
The finish was difficult because you go off a dock/wharf there. To get back up they
have some kind of snow fence or something plastic that you have to "climb" up to
get out. They have helpers there so you don't/shouldn't get hurt. The bike is long,
and has those hills. I don't remember feeling crowded or the road being torn up.
I guess when everyone's out there the traffic stops. But the run, after that steep
last hill on the bike, is tough. And its largely not shaded. So it could be hot.

Overall though I liked the race. The park is really nice for the transitions, good crowd,
seems well organized. I guess I wouldn't worry about the roads on the bike, unless
they've really gotten worse than last year. But be prepared for possible heat and
humidity.

Good luck!
2005-06-25 4:07 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

I have never done DITR before, but I am doing it this year.  Like you, I too, am concerned about the course.  I am going to go and ride the bike section this coming weekend (July 2nd).

From my fellow tri club members I've heard some of the turns are a bit rough and the hill at mile 20ish is a killer.  Apparently, they are doing work on some of the roads on the bike route (which explains their poor condition).  People have been told that it should be completed by race day.  Cross your fingers.  I can update you on the road situation next weekend if it would be helpful.

2005-06-25 5:35 PM
in reply to: #183552

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
AlBearAngel - 2005-06-25 4:07 PM

I have never done DITR before, but I am doing it this year.  Like you, I too, am concerned about the course.  I am going to go and ride the bike section this coming weekend (July 2nd).

From my fellow tri club members I've heard some of the turns are a bit rough and the hill at mile 20ish is a killer.  Apparently, they are doing work on some of the roads on the bike route (which explains their poor condition).  People have been told that it should be completed by race day.  Cross your fingers.  I can update you on the road situation next weekend if it would be helpful.

They were paving Dr. Jack Rd, and consequently was in good shape, but the stretch of Rt 222 between Conowingo and Port Deposit was horrible.  Repairs to a wooden bridge at Frenchtown Rd were almost finished.  Please let me know if any further improvements have been made.  The biggest factor to me was the traffic/no shoulder situation.  Hopefully the locals will stay off the road and the trucks won't be as prevalent come 9 July. 

2005-06-26 7:05 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I'll be there this year but haven't done it before.  Probably gonna check out the bike course Friday before the race...I sure hope they get things cleaned up.
2005-06-28 7:37 AM
in reply to: #183552

User image

AlBearAngel - 2005-06-25 5:07 PM

I have never done DITR before, but I am doing it this year. Like you, I too, am concerned about the course. I am going to go and ride the bike section this coming weekend (July 2nd).

From my fellow tri club members I've heard some of the turns are a bit rough and the hill at mile 20ish is a killer. Apparently, they are doing work on some of the roads on the bike route (which explains their poor condition). People have been told that it should be completed by race day. Cross your fingers. I can update you on the road situation next weekend if it would be helpful.

Let us know how the course is when you get back. Thanks.

2005-06-28 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I rode the course on Sunday, I wanted to ride it twice, but didn't make it. I was running out of water and exhausted so I had to turn back. Managed 40 miles, didn't have anything left to run afterward. Definitely a tough course - I think it is similar to the Columbia course, I would almost argue that Columbia is easier (though that might be because I ride Columbia frequently and am more used to it plus the roads are much better). The roads were so rough my gel went flying off my bike and one of my aero bar supports completely broke off. It felt like I was off roading on a tri bike.
2005-06-28 9:58 AM

User image

So... it sounds like the consensus here is- it's a tough race with a less than ideal swim and rough bike course. If you have to travel more than an hour, hour and a half- skip it, it's not worth the hotel/trvel. If your local- go for it but beware. That about right?
2005-06-28 10:16 AM
in reply to: #185282

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm being more optimistic than that...because I'm coming from Norfolk...probably 4+ hours.  It sounds like the road construction is supposed to be done.  What was so bad about the swim? 
2005-06-28 10:26 AM

User image

wyecrab - 2005-06-25 9:18 AM

In addition, I can not imagine where the swim is going to be conducted. According to the map on the website, the swim course is on the Susquehanna Flats, but that shoreline has almost no access - high bank, and lots of trees and debris washed up on the shore. Oh, and lots of bass boats. It's going to be a bear on a SW wind.

I was refering to this. I sent the RD an email about the road conditions. As soon as hear back, I'll post his response.
2005-06-28 1:11 PM

User image

Ok, here's what he said...

Troy,

We have a detour planned just in case. I've been told it
should be finished by July 1st!

Neil

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:52:42 -0400
Troy Dorsey wrote:
Hi Neil,

There has been some discussion about the bike course
being in poor condition due to road construction. Do you
think this will be completed by race day, and the course
in good condition? Also, is it closed to traffic?

Thanks,

Troy

2005-06-28 1:47 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

He ignored the part about it being closed to traffic...

2005-06-28 2:22 PM

User image

Your right. I'm going to call the local tri shop here in the Baltimore area and ask for their unbiased opinion of the race. It sounds like as long as the roads are paved which they should be, and we don't get a ton of rain, it should be good. It you want to call the shop yourself they are www.tri-speed.com. I think I'm going- piranha sports has a great reputation and this is the third year for the race. Good luck if you go.
2005-07-06 6:31 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

sorry it has taken me so long to post a "road-condition" update, but here you go (better late than never):

There are definitely still some bad sections.  One in particular somewhere between miles 9-13 that is really rough.

However, the newly paved parts are super fast.  And, who knows maybe they will have manged to pave more sections by Saturday.  

To get to the traffic question: the traffic was pretty light (we were riding in the same time frame as the race).  The part that I am most concerned about is traffic in the poorly paved section.  I don't want to be swevering to avoid potholes and have to worry about cars as well.  But, apparently we will all just have to take our chances.

To be honest, I think it might be possible to pave a significant portion of the problem area, but not the whole thing.  We will see on Saturday...

Also, at this point (especially knowing how many people have been riding and memorizing the course) I am actually more concerned about them changing it.  But, I guess that disclaimer about course changes was known from the start.

Anyway, hope to see you all there.

Edited by AlBearAngel 2005-07-06 6:32 PM
2005-07-06 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

Thanks for the update.  I hope they have paved Rt 222(?) between Conowingo and Port Deposit.  That would be a fun stretch of road if it were smoother.   

2005-07-07 7:19 AM
in reply to: #191919

User image

Anyone know if the remnants of Cindy and the 2+ inches of rain that are coming tonight and Friday will cancel the swim and make this a Duathlon?

2005-07-07 7:50 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Well, they are calling for heavy rain today and tomorrow in Perryville and then isolated T-storms Saturday.  Supposed to be a high of 82 on Saturday and get down to mid-60s Friday night so it should be a cool morning for the race.  Since the swim is in the mouth of the Susquehanna I wouldn't be shocked if they decide to drop the swim because the currents are moving too fast from all the rains. 

The website gives this disclaimer:

There is NO rain date for the event.  In cases of inclement weather, natural disaster, acts of God, acts of war or other unforeseen extraordinary circumstances, management reserves the right to cancel the event and/or modify the race course for safety concerns. Under such circumstances, there will be absolutely no refunds or transfer of entries to future Piranha Sports events. Each athlete must accept any such risk of their entry fee paid.  All monies collected are used to develop and produce the event, including all race supplies, staffing, and administration. We pledge to make every effort to produce a fair, safe and exciting event for all.  Management reserves the right to reject or accept a race entry for any reason.

I sent the following email to the race director...I'll post an update when I get a response:

Hi Neil-

Looks like they are calling for heavy rains the next two days in Perryville.  What are the plans for the race should the river be flowing too fast to safely hold the swim?  Will it become a run-bike-run, or just drop the swim and hold the bike-run as currently planned?

One other question on the distances...the website says "International Distance:  Swim = 1 mile; Bike = 27 miles; Run = 5 miles" but those aren't the standard International distances.  Are those distances accurate or will it really be an International distance race (1.5k, 40k, 10k)?

Thanks-

Joel

2005-07-07 8:05 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Well, I'm afraid we won't know what the situation is till Friday at packet pick-up.  Neil's reply:

I am out of the office today setting up for the 3rd Annual Diamond in the Rough
Triathlon.  I will not have my phone on during this setup - please do not try to
call.

Any concerns relating to this weekend's triathlon can be addressed at packet
pickup Friday from 5pm to 8pm.  Some key pointers:

1.  Online registration for this race has been turned off Wednesday night.  We
will accept registrations in person on Friday from 5pm to 8pm.  No signs up on
the day of race.
2.  Race is on rain or shine.
3.  Bring your ID, USAT card (if you're a member), bike and helmet for packet
pickup Friday from 5pm to 8pm.
4.  Updated and official Club list for the Club Championship will be displayed
at packet pickup.
5.  Women 45-49 will be starting in the 6th wave.
6.  For athlete guide and further information about the race, please go to
www.piranha-sports.com.

See you this weekend. 

Regards,

Neil

2005-07-07 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

I don't think you have to worry much about the river currents.  There is a lag between rainfall and downstream flow.  In addition, we've had very little rain this season, so I doubt they're going to be opening more gates at Conowingo Dam anytime soon.  The biggest concern may be wind.

The park sits on a peninsula and if push came to shove they could hold the swim in the Northeast River.  There is actually a small boat ramp there instead of a steep bank.

2005-07-07 1:31 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I just figured 2 days of hard rain Thurs/Fri might result in heavy flow Sat.  I'm not too concerned with wind on race day...the weather is supposed to be mostly cleared out by then.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see tomorrow afternoon.
2005-07-07 6:08 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Alright, I'll be the huge dork and ask if anyone wants to have a little BT get-together at the race?  The way I figure it, the more support the better.

2005-07-07 6:21 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Sure...you planning to be at the "first timers" meeting tomorrow evening at 6pm?
2005-07-07 7:38 PM
in reply to: #192669

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

Are you making fun of me or will you be there too? 

Yes, I was thinking of going.  At the very least we can get the latest info on the road conditions, swim start and all the other things we have been chewing over in this thread.  So, see some of you there?

2005-07-07 8:03 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
No I was being serious.  i figured with the weather and talk about the roads being F'd up it would be a good opportunity to get the straight scoop.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diamond in the Rough (Perryville, MD) Rss Feed