Falls Road Running
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 55s
Overall Rank = 39/157
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Up early to drive to the park. Ate a zone bar on the way, drank 24 oz of water. Had the obligatory 3 bathroom visits before the race.
Event warmup:

Lots of stretching - muscles felt very tight today - and a slow run to warmup.
Run
  • 53m 55s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

That's 39 of 157 out of the women only. I was prepared for the hills since I've been training on some tough ones near home, but it was still a tough race. First mile was very slow. I started much too far back and had to pass many in the first crush, this slowed me down quite a bit. The hills were challenging but I didn't feel overmatched. Only on the last hill did I really lose the rhythm of my breathing. Passed many, was passed by some, but I did start way at the back of the pack.
What would you do differently?:

Get familiar with the course beforehand. Logistically, it just wasn't possible to get over there for an hour run before the race, but had I done so I'd have realized that the turnaround point was 4 miles in, not 3 miles as I guesstimated when we reached it (also, a race volunteer gave incorrect mileage earlier which confused me). Hence, I held back a little too much in mile 5, thinking I was in mile 4. When I realized I was a mile from the end I went all out but I felt great at the end - I could definitely have pushed it more earlier and had a better time.
Post race
Warm down:

Slow walk and stretched. Water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course well enough.

Event comments:

I'll do it again next year, if only to keep on top of the hill running thing. I did enjoy the course quite a bit. The field was competitive but not overly so for my ability level, which is nice because it's demoralizing for me to always be a back of the pack finisher. =) I get excited when I'm closer to the middle.

Last updated: 2005-06-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:55 | 06.2 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 39/157
Performance: Good
Course: Very hilly. Very very hilly. Very very very hilly. Some have described it as "tortorous."
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-25 5:22 PM

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
Subject: Dreaded Druid Hills 10K

2005-06-25 7:12 PM
in reply to: #183582

Champion
Subject: RE: Dreaded Druid Hills 10K
Come on Gina, don't sugarcoat it...tell us how hilly it was! Seriously, you had a great race, congrats on the results!!
2005-06-25 8:51 PM
in reply to: #183613

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
Subject: RE: Dreaded Druid Hills 10K
That means a lot coming from you, Max - it does not even begin to compare with your Mt. Washington Hill Climb! (Hill indeed! ) Thanks!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dreaded Druid Hills 10K Rss Feed