General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off road tri's and Cyclo-Cross bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-20 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Subject: Off road tri's and Cyclo-Cross bikes
I just sold my TT bike this past weekend and i'm deciding on what bike to buy now.   I've been all but set on a roadie, however, i just saw some Cyclo-Cross bikes at a couple bike stores and now i'm intrigued.

Having moved from Florida, i'm realizing how big mtn. biking is here and i'm interested.    I've never owned or ridden a mtn. bike and had thought that maybe next summer i might get a bike and try it out.   The sound of an XTerra type Tri sounds fun as well.

So my questions are about these Cyclo-Cross bikes and XTerra type Tri's in Colorado or the surrounding areas.   My question about the bike, are they really good to go back and forth to roadie to mtn.  setup?   I definitely want to do the standard Tri's, mainly Sprint or Oly's.   Would a decent Cyclo-Cross be sufficient for that?  

And races, are there a few XTerra or those type of Tri's around that i could do 1 or 2 a season?  And for the bike, is a Cyclo-Cross decent for that type of race?

Just looking for opinions and suggestions......thanks

2010-04-20 10:09 PM
in reply to: #2805585

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains
Subject: RE: Off road tri's and Cyclo-Cross bikes

Hey Travis:

As for the XTERRA's, the cross frame "could work", but would set up for some pretty big crashes, or possibly even break the head or steering tube.

At the least, a few hike a bike sections.  The other consideration, depending on how technical it gets(ie Crested Butte or the last Single track section of BEaver Creek) is the amount of pounding it puts on your body leading into the run.

In recent years, the Hard Tail 29er has become a more increasing choice.  After last year, the full suspension 29er is starting to make a good show in both Mountain Bike XC races as well as in the XTERRA's.

As for the roadie to mountain set up and back.  Not just good, but great!

For the most part, the trails stay pretty wet until about now.  It's bad trail kharma and etiquette to ride on super wet trails as it facilitates trail errosion and such.  Recently, some of the open space areas have been review for shutting down trail access on certain days, to allow access for hikers and horse back, as well as decreasing the errosion.

Point to all that... Most XC and XTERRA racers use the road bike to train through the winter and early spring in order to start the base miles and saddle time.

HEad to Xterraplanet.com for the races here in Colorado.  There are 3 for this year.  A great one to cut your teeth at is XTERRA Indian  Peaks.  Relatively shorter course, and aside from a semi technical short hike a bike, a great intro into XTERRA.

I'd say start with the Roadie, and then build the stable from there.  It's pretty common to have one of each here in Colorado. 

Feel free to call me if yo need some help!

2010-04-20 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Besides XTerra, are there any other "off-road" type Tri's around?   
2010-04-21 12:01 AM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I have these on my "possibles" list for this year:

Aug 8: Xterra Indian Peaks
 (sprint)
Aug 20: Newton Trail Tri (Boulder)
Aug 29: Xterra Lory Horsetooth Res: Without Limits  (sprint)

I picked up a CX bike last fall and it was great for riding on snow and ice because of the fat tires.  More upright than a roadie so not great for aerodynamics.  I tried riding some trails up here in the foothills in December and it's not the same as a mtn bike, but great practice for CX (a lot of carrying the bike for me).  Like Ocky said, it may not be great for technical rides, but then my husband mtn bikes on his touring bike and does just fine so you may do fine on it also.

Besides, CX races look like a blast!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off road tri's and Cyclo-Cross bikes Rss Feed