R+B Sports
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 8s
Overall Rank = 32/58
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4 a.m. and had my usual bowl of oatmeal, coffee, and a banana. My BT friend Tammy came along to see how the whole tri thing works and was a great cheerleader for me! She got to the house about 5:15 and we headed down to the race site. Had another cup of coffee in the car and 1/2 pb+j while I was setting up transition. We got there pretty early, so drove the bike route, then unpacked and got transition set up. Used the portapotty about a billion times before I finally put on the wetsuit. GU and water about 15 minutes prior to race start.
Event warmup:

None. Since this event was so small, they did away with the 2 wave start and just did one wave. I was going to do a real short swim as folks were getting in the water, but no time.
Swim
  • 13m 45s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The lake was 100% different than when I did the Dude Girl last October! It was full and near the transition area. Started just behind some men on the left side near the front. Got a good rhythm going and I knew I was one fo the first women to come in.
What would you do differently?:

Probably do a nice warm-up and stretch. And in hindsight, might have gone without the wetsuit, it didn't feel all THAT cold!
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Was a little bit dizzy coming out of the water, but got the top of the wetsuit pulled down and ran to my bike, and then struggled to get the darned thing off my legs. Felt a little unsteady, but got socks on and the shoes and helmet and Garmin and got out of dodge.

Not wear the wetsuit??
Bike
  • 43m 21s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.16 mile/hr
Comments:

When I did the Dude Girl, we took the bike route counter-clockwise, today we went clockwise, HUGE difference!! Not enough downhills to get momentum up the uphills. I had 2 men pass me at the very beginning of the ride and I did not see them again. I passed one female who I think was part of a relay team, and then had 3 men pass me in the last 4 miles or so, but I kept them in sight and didn't fall too far back. Most of the time I was riding all by myself. I tried to take this like a training ride and not burn out the legs, and took the last 1-2 miles nice and easy... I had one man pass me in the run and tell me how hard it was to catch me on the bike (he was 44, ha ha!)

Need more time in the saddle and more hill work!!! I had hoped to see my average pace at least at 18 mph, but that wasn't happening with all the hills!
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Felt like this was a pretty good transition, except someone had hung my wetsuit over the bike rack and it took me a couple of tries to get my bike hooked up. Ditched the helmet, got the shoes on, grabbed the hat/race belt/small sweat towel in one swoop and took off!

Just get the dang bike hung up!
Run
  • 32m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Stupid Garmin wouldn't switch over from the bike?? Had to turn it off and restart it, so I'm sure I had a bit of a slower start because of that. Legs felt pretty good off the bike, not the usual bricky feeling. Heart rate felt very high for the first mile, and I consciously tried to slow down. Mile 2 I got into a rhythm, and walked through the last water stop, other than that I was able to run the whole thing!! First time for that distance, yea!!

Need to keep working on the run, more long runs, and more bike so that I have more endurance coming off the bike leg.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a drink, met Hugh (another BT'er) and talked with Tammy and some others. After awhile, the puking feeling went away and I was able to eat a hot dog and some fig newtons, but then I got cold so I put some clothes on over my tri suit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills on the bike!!! Sucky run times!!!

Event comments:

This event was not chip-timed!! So no offical splits, just an official overall time. Because it was so small, almost everyone got an award... I received 1st place Grand Master female, but I was 5th female overall out of 16 and the oldest person in the whole race!! I was pretty proud that I beat out all those youngsters, ha ha!

Took almost a week for race results to be posted??! Considering there were no splits, it shouldn't have been any different than posting a 5K... kind of frustrating.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:45 | 820 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/58
Performance: Good
Suit: Rocket Science L/S wetsuit on top of tri suit
Course: A triangle-shaped lake swim. Counter clockwise.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:21 | 12.4 miles | 17.16 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 Loops, clockwise around Pace Bend Park. Very hilly!! Beautiful bluebonnets all along the roadside.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:31 | 03.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Trail run through trees and along the lake. Fairly flat, damp but not quite muddy. One big loop that doubled back along the beginning of the run for about 2/10 of a mile to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-24 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Lake Travis Triathlon

2010-04-26 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2814066

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Lake Travis Triathlon
Way to go! Grand master!!
2010-04-27 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2814066

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Lake Travis Triathlon
Wow! Great race, to say the least! And great job at running the whole time.

It was good to know that you didn't think you needed a wet suit. My tri that I will probably - more than likely - do in June is in Lake Michigan and the water will probably be around 65. I really didn't want to have to invest in a wet suit yet.

Amazing race!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Travis Triathlon Rss Feed