Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 07m 30s
Overall Rank = 64/492
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/49
Pre-race routine:

Set my alarm for 4:50 the night before, but was awake way before then...I just laid in bed until the alarm went off, then got ready.

I talked to my wife and we decided it be best if they didn't go out to JT with the weather...

The drive to JT was terrible. The rain was falling down in sheets...VERY heavy. I could barely see. At Mirror Lake, I had to backtrack b/c the road was closed due to a crash.

After a while, the rain stopped and driving was much easier. I followed a beamer with a bike rack to the park and then sat in my car for a few mins while the rain subsided.

After registering, I set up my bike and talked with Darrell (havefuntri-ing) and a few other buds before the race.
Event warmup:

Talked to Darrell for a few mins and then went for a 10 min run, out the front of the park, then back.
Swim
  • 12m 36s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

At the startpoint, the ground was NASTY. I shiver as I think that I was standing in slimy, pond plants. Gah!

I started to the far left, about 1/2 back in the pack. We watched the first wave go and it looked rough. A lot of ppl were fighting for position. Ah, the washing machine!

As we started, I felt really fresh and strong and just went for it...bad idea. Past the first buoy I could see all the ppl I was passing. The adrenaline was pumping and I was unstoppable...until somebody hit me HARD in the left goggle. The blow created a strong suction that felt like it was going to suck my eye out of the socket! I had to adjust my goggles while treading water.

I started again and then some guy grabbed my arse...got a handfull of my wetsuit, and started to pull himself over me! Bastard! He did it again and that's when I twisted a bit and hit him with my elbow on the side of the head. He let go and that's the last I "felt" of him...

The rest of the course I kept at it, but started to veer off course a bit. I caught the wave in front of me and started to pass a few. I was shocked that no green cappers (3rd wave) had caughten up to me....until the last 100m! Damn. :)
What would you do differently?:

Not start out so fast and site a little better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Didn't plan on taking this long in T1. I didn't start taking off my wetsuit until I was almost into T1, but it came off quick. I got stuck putting Garmin on my wrist.

I put my shoes on in T1 due to the conditions (wet and rocky T1).

Attach garmin to bike and start to remove wetsuit upon exiting water.
Bike
  • 33m 30s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 20.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Upon leaving transition, I did a flying mount and about crashed into the woods off to the left! LOL. I heard a few ppl laughing, but I managed to start pedaling and get back on the road.

It took me a min to clip in, as these shoes and pedals were unfamiliar. Once I clipped in, the course was a bit crowded, so the first mile was slow.

I remembered talking to a few ppl about this course and hammered it for the next 3 miles. I felt really strong on my bike, especially in aero. The fit was great!

The rest of the ride was uneventful. I felt strong on the hills and steady on the straights. Since the course was so wet, I did not take any chances on cornering or turns. I slowed WAY down to be safe.

I was passed by 10 cyclists max. I passed a bunch of cyclists, though, and caught up to the first wave. Played leap frog with a fellow AGer for the final 2 miles, but let him go with a 1/4 mile to go...I thought to myself, "I'll pass you on the run."

One thing that I did MAJORLY wrong was not get out of my tri shoes early. I got out of one shoe, but came up on T2 too fast and was still clipped in with my right foot. Screw it! I unclipped and ran with one foot bare, the other with a shoe! LOL!

On a dry day, I know I could have gone 1-2 mph faster overall.

Not much...raced the bike well, for once. I was cautious at the turns and aggressive on the straights.

Get out of shoes earlier!
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Since T1, T2, and the bike didn't register, I'm putting in my best guess for times.

Not much...
Run
  • 18m 46s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run! I dropped my glasses at the start and turned around to get them. That probably cost me 5 seconds, but 5 seconds is definitely worth the price of a good pair of Oakleys! :)

Turned it up in the first mile and felt GREAT! I passed sooooo many ppl in the first 2 miles it wasn't funny. As I passed ppl in my AG, I kept thinking, YEAH!

At mile 2, the sky opened up. It was actually quite amazing. The drops were the size of quarters, then the rain was coming down in sheets! Heavy, heavy rain!

About 1/4 mile out, I saw 2 guys about 1/10 of a mile ahead of me. I put on the afterburners and squeaked by them at the finish line! That was an all out sprint at the end....first time ever in a triathlon that I fought it out at the end like that!

Nothing. Best tri run I've ever had. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with Darrell and cheered a few others on...then went and ate a TON of chocolate chip cookies!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not riding my bike after the fit, not riding my bike with the new pedals and shoes, and THE RAIN!

Goals entering this raec:
Time - 1:05
OA - Top 10%
AG - Top 10

I didn't make any of them! Gah. Still pretty happy with the result, though.

Event comments:

Good race and I like the Tshirt, even though I got the wrong size! I ordered a L and got a M.

Last updated: 2010-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:36 | 600 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/492
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra Vortex Full Wetsuit
Course: Counterclockwise swim around the lake/pond. Water was really cold in some spots, but surprisingly warm in others.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:30 | 11.2 miles | 20.06 mile/hr
Performance: Good
I was closer to 33 mins, but didn't turn Garmin off well into T2
Wind: Little
Course: Flat for the first 4 miles, then rollers thereafter. A few hills here and there that would make your heart beat.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 79
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:46 | 03.1 miles | 06m 03s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Upon leaving T2, you run through grass, then a trail to an unpaved trail. There is mud and large pebbles. A few rollers after the first mile that will tax you. The turnaround is at the top of a hill, then you run back down it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-04-24 7:40 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: John Tanner Sprint

2010-04-24 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2814393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: John Tanner Sprint
Great job today! I asked the captin to point you out but I guess he didn't see you either! Sounds like the swim was combative for you... haha. Great bike ride... yeah it sucked making those turns on the wet roads. Finally awesome run... you are able to really take advantage w your speed!
2010-04-24 8:43 PM

User image

Smyrna
As thecaptin would say, "that run was strong as garlic!"  Nice race!
2010-04-25 12:16 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
WTF? Look at that run split!!

You're a rock star...
2010-04-25 4:56 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Great race.  It is even better that you were relaxed and flowed from one to the other.  The bike fit more than likely helped get you to T2 with gas in the tank.  If you can run like that at the end of a sprint and add a little more bike speed, you will be collecting medals.  You gotta be happy with the result.

Sorry we did not catch up at the race.  Next time, we should set a time and place.  Good luck with the IM build...

2010-04-25 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Very good run, those are some fast splits you posted!

2010-04-25 6:41 PM

User image

Elite
SE
the d00d is a badazz and would be unbeatable if he could kick it during the swim and on the bike like he does with his run. mind you i suck swimming too, and the bike was weather related, but d00d your bike has got to go faster! your legs are too dang strong for it not to.
2010-04-25 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
great race d00d!  you keep getting faster and faster.  pretty soon they'll be paying you show show up!
2010-04-26 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
d000d,
A. Solid race!!!
B. your race makes me laugh. I am sitting here thinking about your little game of grab-azz during the swim. Sucks to hear about the punch in the face. That always sucks. But then, another laugh about the flying mount and the almost trip to the woods, and the classic move of one shoe, and one bare foot run into T2.

After all that, you still manage to pull out one of your best races. Very nice, and congrats!
2010-04-26 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Way to hunt those guys down at the end!

Edited by Coldfire 2010-04-26 7:19 AM
2010-04-26 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2816214

User image

Slower Than You