Fleet Feet
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 7s
Overall Rank = 61/156
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15, took a quick shower to try to wake myself up and then got dressed. Ate a bagel with pb and jelly, nuked some coffee, then racked my bike on the car. I was on the road by 5:50.
Event warmup:

I got to the race site pretty early. I might have been one of the 1st 50 participants to arrive. I found a good spot in transition near the bike entrance/exit. I got everything set up and even fixed the straps on my helmet since I had plenty of time. (They've been twisted for quite awhile.) I made sure I drank water, I walked around to check out the boating area and to see where all of them were setting up, and even had a couple of productive potty stops. Hooray for me! I only did a bit of jogging to/from bathrooms and to the starting area.
Run
  • 24m 46s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

6 out of 61 female
It helped me a lot mentally that I had run the course before. I was prepared for the bridges that were steep inclines, which really took a lot out of you. I started out faster than I expected but never got to the point where I thought I couldn't maintain it. I tried to stay relaxed and every now and then would check my Garmin to see where my pace was. The first mile was 7:37, and then my pace dropped off a bit to 7:47ish. I purposely tried to not push too hard as I kept reminding myself this was just the beginning.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I probably should have done more warm-up running.
OH YEAH! I was freezing cold the 1st mile. My hands were so cold. It was probably in the low 40's when we started. I had on bike shorts and a short-sleeved bike top with a long-sleeved 1/2 zip fleece over that. I really wished I'd worn my gloves. After the first mile my body warmed up enough where I wasn't miserably cold, though
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

This went well. Can't think of much other than my area was kind of busy when I got there and so I had to pick up my bike and maneuver around people to get out.

Nothing that I can think of.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 38s
  • 20.22 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

8/61 female
Well, this course was better than I thought it would be, and worse than I thought it would be. It was better because the roads were much, much more rural than I expected. I'm completely unfamiliar with the area, and the only area I am familiar with is very congested with traffic. That's what I envisioned the whole course to be like, but it was mostly light country roads.

It was worse than I thought because the hills in the 1st half of the route Suck! There were quite a few doozies out there. yikes.

The main things I remember are: at the beginning when we finally left the park and got onto a more neighborhood street, there was a car that was totally trapped amongst cyclists. I was shocked at the utter lack of cycling etiquette I saw among some of the racers. This poor car trying to get through had bikes behind it, bikes in front (2-3 abreast) 1-2 bikes on the right side shoulder and cyclists passing it on the left, one after the other. I was a little aggravated and embarrassed at how dumb these cyclists were being. I stayed back behind and to the right near the shoulder and went slowly until things cleared out a bit. Then I passed on the right shoulder. Like you should. duh. The guys riding 2 abreast were probably the most to blame. Get the eff OVER! I'm shocked the car didn't honk at all.

Then I lost my chain at some point at the top of a hill, just like I did a few days ago. It goes towards the pedal side so I can't get the shifter to get it back on for me. I rode down fast then dismounted (after I shouted to the guy behind me that I was dismounting) and got the chain back on pretty quickly. Then I had to immediately ride UP the next hill with not momentum to help me. I've realized my chain is too loose. I might need a new one.

Another observation - I kept passing a guy going UP hill and the guy was riding a niiice bike with a zipp wheel. wth? the only thing I could think of was he probably borrowed it from a friend. Because I don't pass people going uphill. He would pass me again on the flats, but then I would always catch him going up. weird.

I really thought I was averaging 18+ mph on the ride. I was laying it all on the line and seemed to pass a lot of people, but alas, that was not the case. The wind was definitely a factor today too.

Train more, of course, as usual. I need a good bike fitting. I need my seat adjusted better. I also need to figure out a better way to attach my bike # to my bike. That's another constant issue I had while riding - trying to readjust the number after accidentally ripping 1/2 of it off while taking my water bottle out. It came loose 3-4 times before I finally found a good spot to wedge it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Finally saw the family at the fence when I got to my spot. But somebody's bike was in my spot when I got there. grumble grumble.... I slid it over and made room for my bike. I talked to the family while I changed shoes, then took a step and a half in the wrong direction before correcting myself and running towards the run exit. I was in a strangely cheerful mood while talking to them. I think I was just so happy to be done with the bike portion of the race!

I think this must have been a lot of people's first race. Get the eff out of my transition spot!!
And not try to run the wrong way, but that wasn't a big deal.
Run
  • 23m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

5/61 female
Oh mommy. I hurt. My feet were very numb. My legs were toast. And I was HOT. I immediately took off my long-sleeved top and tied it around my waist. Another thing I should have done in transition. This run was just a battle for the mind. Willing my legs to go. I was ok for a little while - felt strong(ish) and mentally ok, but then I started thinking negative thoughts (probably not as bad as Jackjack saying she was going to sell her tri stuff!) but thoughts like "wouldn't it be nice if you were actually in shape and trained once in awhile??" I just kept trying to drive those away with thoughts like "you are strong!" and then the devil on the other should would just say "oh shut up." ;-)
What actually started working was the thought that at any time a girl from my AG was going to gain on me and pass me. In truth, there was NOBODY around me. I was actually so lonely I wondered at a few points if I was on the right path. There were a few spots I thought they could have put down some more orange cones just so you knew this was really it.

Can I just say those inclines up the bridges crossing the river and canal SUCK! Did I already say that? Well, they do, indeed, suck.

Train. But I am making great strides in getting my speed back. I am really happy with that.
Post race
Warm down:

WATER! I was thirsty. I could have used the water at the stop on the last run, but at that point I was just ready to get it over with. After the finish I got a couple of hugs from the kids, although they are never really enthusiastic to hug me after a race. :-) I walked a little bit and talked to the family for awhile. then I ate a banana and a cookie. Later on I got a handful of carrots.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, wind, hills, bike chain, training...

Event comments:

Great inaugural race for Rochester. Yellowjacket always puts on a good race. LOTS of volunteers who were very supportive and the Rochester Police Dept was great! They made the roads very safe for us. The course is pretty challenging, but I look forward to next year!

Last updated: 2010-03-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:46 | 03.2 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 0/156
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:08:38 | 20.22 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:39 | 03 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/11
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-24 10:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: River Challenge Duathlon

2010-04-24 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2814549

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: River Challenge Duathlon
Kameron
Congratulations - it seems to me like a very good season opener to me. Your runs are getting back to the fast you used to be (oh and glad you have conversations with yourself too!) and I bet you did average 18 on the bike if you took account of hanging behind car, putting chain on, going from standstill up a hill after chain incident (what is it with you and chains!?). Plus it sounds like a hilly course.
Lots of positive from what I can see.
2010-04-25 4:51 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great race Kameron!!  I agree with Jackie about your bike pace, waiting for the car, dropped chain, etc.  Your runs are impressive!!!

Congrats on the age group award!!

2010-04-25 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
A couple of potty break would have been enough information, thank you. 
Nice job on early season race.  Nice mental effort getting job done.  If it wasn't for the CF at the start of the bike you probably would have it that 18mph. 
2010-04-25 10:50 AM

User image

Expert

Great job Kam!  And welcome to the area .  It looked like it would be a really fun race!

2010-04-25 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

GREAT JOB out there today!  For someone who doesnt think she's in shape, you sure laid down an AWESOME time!

2010-04-27 9:15 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Fantastic race!!
2010-04-27 10:34 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY