General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rocky Point ,
Mexico
Red Rock Company
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 31m 36s
Overall Rank = 156/173
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/26
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 6am and had a bowl of Cheerios and got my stuff packed up. Helped my friend Kelly get our bikes and stuff set up in transition. Got body marked and put on sunscreen (Note to self: put sunscreen on before body marking).
Event warmup:

Got my wetsuit on and went for a quick warm up swim. The water was actually very nice with the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 31m 25s
  • 1000 meters
  • 03m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim out to the 1st buoy was tough because the waves and tide were pushing against us. Once I made the 1st big buoy the swim parallel to the shore was OK. Not slow...not fast but for my 1st OWS race I was happy. The tide had changed by the time we were coming in and we swam against the tide back to shore. My goal was 25 min and I got out of the water in 29:12. The run up the beach to T1 was tough. I also had repeated issues with water in my left goggle.
What would you do differently?:

I would swim harder to the 1st buoy and I need to get some level of kick going. I also need to tighten my goggles so they don't leak.
Transition 1
  • 04m 32s
Comments:

When I was running to T1 i tried to take the upper part of my wetsuit off only to find that I had strapped my watch over the left arm and couldn't get my arm out of the suit. I still need to work on speeding up transition. I had problems getting the sand off my feet and a little issue with 1 sock. Was a little slow with the wetsuit but I'll know from now on.

Don't strap watch over wetsuit. Figure a better way to get sand off my feet and in between my toes.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 41s
  • 24.2 miles
  • 16.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I was comfortable with the bike. I know as time goes on I can push the pace a lot more. 1st problem was my aero bottle fell off about 1/2 way through the 1st lap. I stopped and put it back on. It ended up falling off on lap 2 and I just let it go. By lap 3 my lower back started to get sore and I had a little chafe on my left crease. I also had some sore neck issues on lap 2 and 3. Couldn't find my bike computer that I packed so I had to use my garmin which didn't give speed in mph. I felt good on the bike though.

1st...no more aero bottle. Camelback bottles work well for me. I'll make sure I remember where I packed things (like bike computer). I would also like to ride my bike before the race to make sure it traveled ok. Having an issue with the brakes rubbing that I need to get checked. Ride in aero more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I took a second to put all my stuff on in T2. I should grab my stuff and get going. I was a bit winded coming into T2.

Grab my stuff and start to get out on course. Put stuff on as I run.
Run
  • 1h 23m 7s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run sucked for me. It shows how far I have to go to work on my run. Had issues keeping my HR down again. Even when walking it still stayed at about 150. This was the 1st time I had ever done 6 miles and it showed. I walked a lot more than I wanted. There were more hills than I expected and it made it worse than I thought. I was hoping for 1:12 to 1:15 on the run and ended with 1:23. I know on a flat course that I can run a lot more. The 6 miles were very long.

Practice, practice, practice. 1st I would reapply sunscreen in T2. I got burnt out on the run. Know what the course is before you run it. Make sure you can run the distance before you do a triathlon.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a quick walk on the beach and sat in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that it was my 1st Olympic distance triathlon and I didn't know what to expect. Not knowing about the OWS and swimming in the ocean. I didn't know the run course and struggled the whole way. I think I did good with my water intake and nutrition. Wasn't really thirsty or hungry the whole race. I think as I do more I'll learn from my mistakes and practice the things I need help with (the run).

Event comments:

Race was very well organized and planned. Volunteers were great and plentiful. The only bad thing was that their "special" race room rates were more than if you just called the resort (actually $50/nt more). I would do this again. It is in Mexico and I'm not a big fan of crossing the border.

Last updated: 2010-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:25 | 1000 meters | 03m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/26
Overall: 135/173
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 Full
Course: Semi triangular ocean swim.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:41 | 24.2 miles | 16.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/26
Overall: 154/173
Performance: Average
HR was between 150 - 160 the whole race. (3) 8 mile loops.
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: Three 8 mile loops on the road outside the resort. The road was varied from good asphalt to rough road and brick. There was 1 steep hill but it wasn't long. Rolling hills in other parts of the course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:23:07 | 06.2 miles | 13m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/26
Overall: 159/173
Performance: Bad
HR was 150 - 160 almost the whole time.
Course: Run on golf course cart path almost the whole time. A mix of rolling hills and steep hills. Was more technical that I thought or expected.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-25 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance

2010-04-26 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2815702

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Subject: RE: Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance
Congrats on your first OWS olympic.  Great first effort, way to stay with it and push through the foot, knee and other pains to finish.  This is a great first Olympic and will help to prepare you for your HIM later in the year. 

Greg
2010-04-27 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Great job!  I heard that was a tough swim and the bike course looked very technical.  I also saw a lot of smiles, at least by the time people got out on the run course.

Congrats on racing in Me-hee-ko!

2010-04-27 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Great job---and excellent points to learn from!!!
2010-04-27 5:53 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
That swim was tough, my man, great job.
2010-04-30 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Great job!

I'm very comfortable in the water and found that leg to the first buoy to be a test - so, way to stick with it!

A note on your leaking goggles... tightening them up may not be the answer. They shouldn't have to be extremely tight to get a good seal and not leak. Here are a few things to check before you starting clamping down on your noggin with the goggle strap... Check the overall fit of the "eye socket" - they make many different styles, sizes, and seal types - so, it's possible that you just don't have a good match for your face. Also, since you normally put your swim cap on before your goggles - it's not uncommon to have your swim cap too far down on your forehead and actually *under* your goggle seal.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Olympic Distance Rss Feed