Lin-Mark
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 32m 23s
Overall Rank = 888/995
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Haul myself out of bed and get Anna up. Hop in the car and drive over to the start, realizing I had forgotten to procure a bagel the day before. Got body-marked, inflated my tires, and set up my transition area. Grabbed my swimming things and a Cliff bar and got on a bus to the swim start. Ate the bar on the way to the start then couldn't find any water on that side of the river. Found out the location of the fountain too late to get a drink.
Event warmup:

Pulling on the wetsuit. That's about all I needed. My HR was elevated from the first time I opened my eyes that morning. I stretched out and swung my arms around a little bit before the swim start but figured it was going to be a long day as it was.
Swim
  • 30m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was great! The water was cool but not cold; got over the initial shock of it within a minute or two of jumping in and had another couple minutes to get comfortable before the start of the wave. There was so much room to swim on this course, that I only had contact with a few other swimmers the whole time. I breathed mostly with a 3 pattern and almost never had to sight because the course was so straight and wide. I really tried to focus on staying smooth and in control. I hit my stride very quickly and maintained it throughout, hitting my target time right on the dot.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing! I didn't mind not drafting. It was great swimming my own race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

I was quite wobbly getting out of the water and into transition. Land just feels horrible after being the water for so long. But the cap and goggles came off right away, and I got the wetsuit down to the waist as I loped past Anna who was smiling and cheering, gave her a thumb's up, and headed into and through the transition area. The wetsuit came off easily, I rinsed and dried my feet, put on socks, helmet, glasses, and loped the rest of the way to the bike start.

Um ... be in better shape so I could run instead of lope. :)
Bike
  • 1h 31m 45s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a little less fun than the swim. My goal on the bike was 16 mph and comfortable effort. I think I executed fairly well even without anticipating the size of the hills. I didn't have a chance to hydrate as much as I wanted before the swim so was sucking down my Cytomax like mad during the first lap. The hills were ... hilly. I was able to spin up fairly well, just trying to keep my effort and breathing in check and not worrying about the speed (or lack, thereof). The downhills were excellent--especially the ones that ended on flats where I could then cruise at 18-19 mph with little effort. Heard Anna screaming at the end of the first lap, which was great.

Most of the way through the first lap, I was lucky enough to grab a gel from a guy at one of the run stations. It was a raspberry Hammergel, I think, and I wolfed it down without water even though I'd never had one before. I didn't care! I was starting to feel fatigued and needed something. I grabbed a bottle at the bottle exchange and took in some more water a few miles later and made it through the last lap fairly well.

Nothing much, I don't think. It was a hot day, so I just tried to stay comfortable.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Jumped off the bike and loped into transition. I had a spot at the end by the plastic fencing, and Anna was there waiting for me. I got a smile and a kiss, wiped my face off with a towel, slipped on my shoes, race belt, and hat, and was off.

Nothing. Seeing Anna and spending those extra few seconds were totally worth it.
Run
  • 1h 24m 15s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot. Super hot. I watched my heart rate and monitored my breathing, mostly forgetting about my time. I just wanted to keep running and only walk the water breaks. Took a gel right before mile 1 and washed it down with a cup of water there. Got some more water at the same stop after the turn around and dumped some on my head. This was the pattern for the rest of the race. Each stop, I slowed to a walk and grabbed two cups: one to drink, the other to dump. It kept me cook for about 5 seconds until the sun got to me again. There were times in the run I felt absolutely horrible, but I kept chugging along, knowing my pace was slower than my practice bricks but determined to keep running. The second turn around took a very long time to get there, and I wasn't feeling too great by this point. I wasn't taking in enough water, and I was feeling a bit chilled despite knowing I was overheating. Miles 5 and 6 were extremely difficult, but I kept moving. At the sight of the finish line, I experienced an unbelievable surge of energy and was able to kick it in for the last few hundred yards.

This year has been a base building year, so I hope to be able to do better next year. I'm ranking it average instead of below average because I achieved my goal of only walking water stops.
Post race
Warm down:

Some angel from heaven handed me an ice cold bottle of water. It was the best thing I have ever tasted or felt enter my body. Anna was there right after the finish line, and I drank and got all misty eyed and tried to stay upright, wondering a little bit if I should visit the medical tent. After most of the water, I found a chair and sat down. My heart rate had dropped back down a good 50-60 bpm, but I was still breathing hard. It took a good 15-20 minutes for me to be able to get up again and walk around. I grabbed a cookie but felt a little nauseated at the rest of the food. Another 15 minutes later, I was cool enough to eat a banana. I grabbed a sandwich for the road because Anna and I had to get back to the hotel, shower, and check out before we were charged for an extra night. I was able to eat part of the sandwich about 75 minutes after I finished and a full meal another hour after that. After that, I ate anything that wasn't nailed down!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides the whole base-building comment above, I'd say the heat. It was brutal on the run. But I really felt like I executed exactly according to plan, and absolutely nothing went wrong. I couldn't ask for a better experience for my first Olympic distance.

Event comments:

This was an execellent race! Everything was perfectly done, there were TONS of volunteers, the organization was top-notch, and the course was great. Kudos to the folks who put this on.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:35 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 593/995
Performance: Good
Average: 172 Max: 186
Suit: Promotion sleeveless
Course: Point-to-point on the Schuylkill river. In-water start by the boathouse dock, 5 minutes between waves. The course was downriver between bouys, under one bridge, around an end bouy, and into the swim exit.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:45 | 24.8 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 807/995
Performance: Good
Average: 172 Max: 184
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops around the surrounding area and the river. Up to one bridge, down to the art museum, and back. There were 4 fairly significant hills on the course, the first one coming about a half-mile after the transition area. But the uphills came mostly with paired downhills, which was great fun! The rest of the course was flat and fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:24:15 | 06.2 miles | 13m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 960/995
Performance: Average
Average: 172 Max: 184
Course: Two out-and-backs from the transition area. One was up-river on a mostly shaded street. The other was down river almost to the art museum in bright sunshine.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Subject: Philly Tri

2005-06-27 10:39 AM
in reply to: #184388

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Philly Tri

Great job!  The heat really added to the degree of difficulty on that run.  Congratulations!

I was really amazed at how well the organizers pulled this race off--I think there were a lot of doubters going in.

2005-06-27 11:23 AM
in reply to: #184399

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Well done Amanda!

It was so hot out there.  I felt like I was getting dehydrated just watching.  You did a spectacular job running those final miles out in the open sun like that.

I realized too late on Saturday that I hadn't figured out how to meet up with you.  I'm wondering if I may have seen you anyway, so I'm looking forward to any pictures you may post.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Philly.
2005-06-27 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Fantastic job on your first Oly. Having just come through the same wild experience myself, I've gotta say I feel ya on the heat. We were lucky enough to have cool, overcast skies for the swim & bike but it got hot on the run. It's just so exciting to have done it after all the training! Yay! Great job!!
2005-06-27 11:41 AM

User image

CONGRATULATIONS !!! The run was tough and you did it. Nice job.
2005-06-27 11:57 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Congratulations!! Heat's a killer. Looks like you had a great race despite it.

2005-06-27 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Congrats Amanda ...the heat was brutal and I agree with in that the ice water handed out at the finish was the coldest and best tasting water I have ever had.....well done
2005-06-27 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
congrats, amanda! it was definitely a hard, hot day and you should be so very proud of yourself!
2005-06-28 8:44 AM

User image

Congratulations Amanda.It sounds like you had a wonderful race...Until you ran into that wall of heat on the run. I felt the same way. I was just glad that the WHOLE run wasn't exposed like that. Great job finishing strong.
2005-06-28 10:35 AM

Champion
Good race Amanda! Don't feel bad about the eating thing afterwards. It's all I can do to eat after a race in hot weather too! Congrats on sticking it out during the run....mental strength!
2005-06-29 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Great race - you are a total inspiration to me!

2005-06-29 1:44 PM
in reply to: #186422

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
cbass - 2005-06-29 1:19 PM

Great race - you are a total inspiration to me!

Me?!? Thanks!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philly Tri Rss Feed