General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band...run or don't run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-27 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: IT Band...run or don't run?
My IT bands have been fine for quite some time until the NO 70.3 on the 18th when my left IT band really bothered me on the run.  I gave it a full week off and tried to run this past Sunday.  I got a good 3.5 miles before it gave me any problems.  For the next 3.5 miles the sensation fluctuated from just an annoying distraction to discomfort to pain.  It was really come and go the majority of the time just at the discomfort level.  The only time it was really painful was running up hill.  I cut my 13 mile run short to 7 miles.

So, I'm using the foam roller and stretching. 

My question is do I take time off from running or is it ok to run while trying to get better at the same time?  If I run, do I cut back?

Any other season I'd really not care but after a lazy week following the 70.3 and with Louisville coming up I really don't want to take any more time off.

thanks

2010-04-27 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2819301

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: IT Band...run or don't run?
So, my suggestion is that if you need to run - use the TM - go slower than usual - no hills, no tempo and no speed till you've built up some more pain-free.  And get some professional help if possible ...

When I had ITBS I took some time off - saw a physio who was also a massage therapist.  Working with her i eased back into running on the tm - it's flat and I could set to a slower pace (than I liked pace) and I could just jump off if there was pain, ie, I wasn't 5k from home
2010-04-27 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I had an ITB issue last year after B2B, when the following week I deceded to go out for a solid pace run. My right ITB started acting up in a painful way. It sounds like yours is doing the same as mine. How I handled it was this....

- I actually eased up on the stick/roller, as it only pissed the ITB off.
- I did all my runs on the dreadmill for about a month, so I could dial in my pace/distance.
- My ITB would start acting up around the 3.5-4 mile mark as well, so I kept all runs below that. Stop running when you can feel it starting to flair up. Get off the TM and stretch, and I mean spend 30 minutes stretching it really well. Stretch EVERYDAY.
- search the internet for all the good stretches
- I increased the number of runs per week, but kept them all under the "flair" mark
- I ran a 9:00/mile pace for a long time, and then SLOWLY started increasing that pace after 3-4 weeks or as it felt comfy. You definitely need to listen to your body during this process.

Of course, there are tons of prof treatments that are suppose to work on ITBS. If you feel inclinded, read up on them and check them out. Personally, I did not and was able to work it out myself.

Just an FYI, mine will act up everyonce in a while when I am running aggressive downhill. Uphill for me was fine.

Hope that helps.
2010-04-27 11:19 AM

Chandler, AZ
About 8 weeks ago my IT band really started hurting, most likely caused by an increase in cycling and running.  I started rolling which helped at first but then I think it just irritated it.  I ended up going to a chiropractor (not a big fan of them) but he specialized in a treatment called ASTYM and was a marathoner and triathlete himself.  The process was somewhat painful but I am feeling a ton better now and have continued to do the exercises and stretching the was prescribed.  Note, that he did no adjustments to my back, neck etc.  For one I dont believe in most of that.  There is a copay usually everytime but to me it has been well worth it.  I just had to go about once a week for about 6 - 8 weeks, small price to pay to being able to run normally again.  And I agree with the comments above, KEEP STRETCHING EVERY DAY.  If you dont a lot of the problems will return.  Its especially important to stretch after working out.  Before a run or bike you should be doing high knees, butt kickers, etc and not as much actual stretching since your muscles are still fairly tight.  Just my two cents.
2010-04-27 11:19 AM

Oregon
I had problems with this as well and it bothered me the most when I was running downhill or after sitting for long periods of time like on a five hour flight.  Stretching is important for sure and another thing I did to help is that I used a IT band "brace"  I am not sure if you have seen them they are just like a strap that go a couple of inches above your knee so it stops the flow of the muscle and stops the pain.  Worked for me.
ForTheLoveOfOregon 

2010-04-27 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I forgot to mention that you will want to look into strength training for weak hips/gluts. Since you are in GA, look up Tri-d00d's (Ron) logs, etc. He also battles ITB issues from time to time, and had a nasty fight with it at the end of last year. He knows all the ST moves/stretches, etc., so it is worth picking his brain as well. Phatknot (Harvey) is another person that battles with it from time to time, so you could always reach out to him.

Edited by Coldfire 2010-04-27 11:32 AM

2010-04-27 1:39 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Hey Jay,

Sorry to hear your ITB has flaired up, but you did have a solid PR!   I think a lot of it is that you went hard at NO70.3, and you are chomping at the bit to start training for IMLOU again.  I would relax.  Swim and bike more, and do short runs like Coldfire said. 

btw, my ITB always hates me after a HIM/IM/Marathon until I let it rest a bit.

So get your rear in the pool or on the bike! 

2010-04-27 7:25 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
No hills, that's all I can say as I sit here 4 days before an IM working on getting rid of my ITBS...
2010-04-28 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2821193

User image

Master
I agree with the guy above that said to run in the flats (or treadmill if that doesn't irritate your knees) and do more shorter runs.  Then, once you are running again, see if changing up your stride helps the IT get happier.  In the marathon, it was less uncomfortable to go faster with a higher kick, so that is what I did and it worked pretty well.  You might also want to try a week of anti-inflammatories to see if you can get it to un-inflame.
2010-04-29 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
all great information and very much appreciated.
2010-04-29 4:10 PM

Master
STL
Having the same issues with IT flair up and IM training. Chiropractor doing ART has gotten me back to walking, swimming and even biking with no pain...running I feel some pain. More so after 30min. So would it be beneficial for me to split up my runs untill I can run more? say if I need to get in 50 min, do 30 in the am and 20 in the pm or would that be putting just as much stress on it.

anyone know anything about crossfriction massage...should I rub the part that is sore or around it? 

2010-04-30 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overusing your TFL (tensor fascia latae) muscle will get your ITB pain going. In my opinion.... which I'm dealing with now.... I went to the PT. PT said if your TFL is getting an overuse injury, it's doing too much of what the gluteus medius *should* be doing.

My opinion, work on stretching/rolling your TFL, and work on gluteus medius strength, which is what I've been doing for about a week. Also, if your ITB is causing pain, and your TFL is weak, I bet you're hips aren't doing too great either, which in the long run, will probably cause some type of back pain/sciatica (exactly what happened to me). Personally, I'd go to a PT and tell him/her what's going on. My guess is, they will find a weakness in your hip/glute musculature that's causing the pain.

I've been doing a lot of personal research for my own pains, and it's interesting which muscles are *supposed* to abduct the legs, and which ones aren't. The TFL shouldn't be your main abductor muscle... your gluteus medius should.
2010-04-30 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Actually...

google this

"ITB syndrome due to weak gluteus medius"

There seems to be an agreement on my above post.

Plus, even an article link to our own BT!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band...run or don't run? Rss Feed