Marysville Strawberry Festival
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 25m 35s
Overall Rank = 38/112
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Walked over to the site since it was just down the street from us. We registered early then wandered around stretching and willing the rain to stay away.
Event warmup:

The run started with the one mile run. We went out and cheered them on. It was so cute to see the kids running their little hearts out! Future athletes! Had to chuckle when after the run I overheard a man say "Yeah, I did the 5k a few years ago. It just feels like you're running FOREVER!" I had been thinking just before that, "Darn, I wish this were a longer race. Why isn't it a four miler like it used to be?"
Run
  • 25m 35s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 07s  min/km
Comments:

This is a hometown run. Our very first race was the one miler where we made such an outstanding showing that they stopped the clock at 20:00 believing all runners were in. Yes, we were DFL! Well, I was DFL. We started late and a family asked if we'd let their kids run with us. The kids ran about half a block then wouldn't run any more. ARGH!

So this was it. This time we were going to do it! No DFL for me! Nosirree bob! It was a small number so I seeded myself right up front. Screw getting behind strollers and dogs. I was going to go out hard and fast!

And I did! In fact I went out SO hard and fast that within the first 1/4 mile I thought I was going to throw up, die, pass out, or all three. My arms felt leaden and achey, my oatmeal was doing the meringue in my stomach, and my head had that floaty balloon feeling. What the HECK? I seriously thought there was NO way I'd finish the race. So even though I really wanted to make a good showing, I slowed down.

I immediately started to feel better. People were passing me right and left, but that was okay. I just thought "Relax and enjoy". I was pushing it, but not as hard as I had been. At mile one I looked at my timer; 8:14? What the heck? Well no WONDER I felt like I was going to die! I must have been REALLY pushing it before!

Okay so maybe I'm not doing so bad after all! Sure those young kids up there passed me, but hey. I'm twice their age...wait, don't think about that. Nope. I'm not I'm young at heart. I'll just keep on a steady, medium (err, fast for me) pace and see what happens.

Mile two...yee ha! I am totally going to do a PR on this race! I am going to PR on my hometown race! I am going to PR in front of the people who knew me for YEARS as a 222 pound slug! I am going to PR in front of the track coaches and some of my students! They won't KNOW I'm PRing, but that's okay!

Yeeeeeee Ha! What? Stop? What the hell? Stop?

Red light and we had to STOP on Grove Street. STOP! Oh bitter disappointment thy name is "Don't Walk." There went my PR. I grumbled to a lot of other runners who were now CAUGHT UP WITH ME and they grumbled back to me. As soon as it was clear we took off, much to the chagrin of the old lady who was yelling "You can't go until it says walk!!!" I found my stride pretty quickly, and started passing people who had passed me earlier. Oh I was ON fire! ON FIRE! I was pacing with a man and he was really pushing it. Since I was warm now, I was able to push it too. I might just beat this guy! He is fast and he looks like he's in great shape! I think I'm going to beat him!

Helen Reddy songs started playing in my mind, my legs were pumping, this guy was ahead, then behind, then ahead, then behind. I slowed a little around the corner since it was raining and I didn't want to slip, he pulled ahead. I surged to pass him and we entered the chute. I looked at the clock and it said 25! WHOA! He came in, I came in right behind him. I was elated! He'd beat me, but I had PRed and I almost beat him!

My elation was short lived when I realized that he not only beat me, he lapped me. He'd run it twice.

Oh bitter bile...bitter bitter bile.

Oh well! I still PRed!

I ran in and grabbed some water and a half a banana. I figured Roy would come in about 5 or 6 minutes behind me because he's about an 10-11 minute miler. I decided to go cheer in runners as they came in and in the distance, there was Roy! He was less than 3 minutes behind me! Now this is FAST for him...I mean REALLY fast for him! I'm screaming and cheering and calling him in and he PRed too with a 29:00 finish! Yay Roy!
What would you do differently?:

Not start out QUITE so fast! What a dork! Otherwise, nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a water for Roy and we stretched out. It was still raining so we stood around cheering people in and waiting for the final runner. Results were posted about 10 minutes later and I scanned the list for my name. Wow! 38th! Not too shabby! I looked at the age group list of the top five. I started at the bottom, nope. Oh well...I didn't figure I'd place anyhow. I have NEVER placed and even though it was a PR for me, it sure wasn't THAT fast. So who did place.

There in space 1 it said "Tory Klementsen".

*BOGGLE*

I think my eyes about fell out of my head! I got a huge GRIN on my face and said "Roy! Roy! Come here!" in a stage whisper.

"Look!" I pointed to the list. "It's me!"

"WOW! First place? That's awesome!"

Well I guess we'll be staying for awards this time!

We waited for the awards, chewing on cold bagels and drinking Talking Rain. I noticed a way former student standing across the yard talking. I knew he didn't recognize me so I just decided to wait. I knew he'd stick around for awards because he placed, so when they called my AG and called my name, I made sure I was looking at him as I started to walk up there. HIS eyes about fell out of HIS head. Wow! Was this the same former fat teacher that he'd known in high school? (I kinda like surprising people that way.)

Sadly the ribbon they gave me said first place in the ONE MILE! Darn it! Judy handed me the ribbon and said "I'm sorry, they messed up. I hope you don't mind."

Actually, as petty as it may sound, I do mind. This is probably the ONLY AG ribbon I will ever get, and darn it...I wanted it to say I won in the 5k!

Oh well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I'm not very fast.

Event comments:

Okay people, NO WAITING AT CROSSWALKS! Come on! That was just plain ridiculous. There are other places to run (Jennings Park, for example) if we can't get clearance to block that traffic during the race. If it weren't my hometown race, I wouldn't do it again just for that reason.

Last updated: 2005-06-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:35 | 05 kms | 05m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 38/112
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a circular course from the junior high school, down State Street, up Grove, down 51st/Armar, then up on the middle school road, back onto 7th and ending at the junior high school. The course was relatively well "manned" except we had to WAIT at stop lights! Oh talk about mad runners! I was pretty sure I was going to hit a PR when we got stopped and a lady snarked at us "You have to WAIT for the light!" When I said "YOu're kidding me?" she said "No! It's the law!" What the hell?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: Strawberry Run

2005-06-27 7:02 PM
in reply to: #184868

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Strawberry Run
Awesome race, a PR with a stop light. Killer!!!

Ken
2005-06-27 9:21 PM
in reply to: #184868

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Strawberry Run
Way to go!  Sounds like a great setting for a PR.  (And I love the detailed report!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Strawberry Run Rss Feed