General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beginner off road tris and shin splints Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-08 3:44 PM

New user

Subject: beginner off road tris and shin splints
I am going to attempt my first tri in august. i am an avid mountain biker so i figured the off road tri's were probably the way to go, plus the fact that i don't have to buy another bike. The off road tri's just seem more appealing. I have been training for 2 weeks now using the 3x sprint plan on the beginner tri site. I have encountered several problems that i'd like some advice on. First I've noticed that when i run on the trails vs. around the steet or track i can only go about half to 3/4 as far. This is quite frustarting. how should i change modify my training to prepare for the off roacd tri. Also i now know i'm flat footed thanks to some killer shin splints. Any body know of good insoles that may help prevent this.

2004-04-08 4:03 PM
in reply to: #17374

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: beginner off road tris and shin splints
Sounds like a plan there offrdtri! That would be fun to so, I saw the Xetrra Championship on TV and thought that an offroad tri would be cool to attempt.

About the shin splints, if you haven't already check out a running specific shoe store and ask them about trail running sneakers, something that is more specific than road sneakers. The good stores will want to check out your arch/stride to make sure you have the correct type of sneaker.

When my wife and I started running last year she went through about 3 months of shin splint hell before she was able to run without pain. She had to reduce her running load and build up slower. Now she can go like the enegizer bunnie!

Don
2004-04-08 4:32 PM
in reply to: #17378

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
DEfinately go to a run specific shoe store, one that can analyze your strids. Sometimes shin-splints can be the result of a poorly fitting or badly designed shoe. I can't wear Nike, for instance - they kill my arches and shins...
2004-04-08 9:34 PM

I'm doing my first tri, which happens to be an off road, this June. I find with trail running, I tend to go out a bit faster, right off the bat. I'm not sure if I'm just enjoying being on the trail more that I speed up my pace, or what...My suggestion, make a concentrated effort to slow your pace down a bit. Remember that your times may (or may not) be a bit slower on the trail because of uneven trails, obstacles, etc.

I'm doing my first trail run race (8K) next weekend and am curious to see what my time will be. I haven't quite measured out my training runs, but have been going basically on time. So, I'm hoping I can go the distance.
2004-04-08 11:37 PM

User image

Champion

u you get fitted properly for a shoe, u shouldnt need supports - unless your feet r really different.  i have VERY flat feet and i was fitted in a pair of asics - no extra arch.  i didnt make sense to me why as i NEED arch in my everyday shoes or im lame.  but the reason is that when u run, their is a lot more compression on whatever arch is built into the shoe.  evertime you 'connect' with the ground, that shoes arch is driven up into your foots arch more so than just walking around.  it is this 'magnification' that is the reason why that if u have flat feet and wear arches in walking shoes, u shant put exrtra arches in a properly fitted running shoes...it would be way too much!.  at least that is how i understood the cross country coach who fitted me.  see http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Michael%20Pate/If_the_shoe_fits_Feb04.htm

try that first and see if they go away.  if not, maybe back down to a walk/run program first...i think the sprint starts at 20min run.  OR try the 2x program for a few months if your new to endurance...not knowing your prior background, it could be your shoes of just too much to fast.  but u do bike a lot...so...????

2004-04-09 9:17 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
Another option you have with being flat footed is to see a podiatrist who is sport specific. I have an appt. with one this morning. I am flat footed and have to bring in my running and cycling shoes because he is going to make orthotics specifically for the type of shoe I wear. I like the running shoe I wear so I won't have a problem unless Brooks does a complete overhaul of it. He said the advantage to having orthotics in your cycyling shoe when your flat footed is that it keeps your knees lined up over your ankle. He said the knees can flare out causing your legs muscles to fatigue more quickly. The orthotics in a decent pair of shoes will help with the shin splints. If your running up any hills right now stop, that can be a major contributing factor.

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beginner off road tris and shin splints Rss Feed