General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bontrager aero race pack or other aero bottle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-06 8:29 PM

Subject: Bontrager aero race pack or other aero bottle?
Ok, I have researched this topic for a little while now and I was hoping to get a definitive answer on which aerodrink/bottle to go with. I am looking into the Bontrager aero race pack per some searching and older suggestions. But I really havent had anything new in the last year or so in terms of comments. How do these compare to the PD units?

I like the fact that (apparently) the Bontrager has a little pouch for gels, etc. I have not been able to see from any pics where the pouch is though. Anybody have any comments on this?

Also, anybody with any PD systems that are new, any comments on yours? I heard the newer ones are better but the complaint I have heard is the straws area pain and they still splash all over

I dont want this to really be a debate, I've read enough of those, just wondering if anyone has the Bontrager or other systems (under $50!!!)

Thanks

Edited by PompEner 2010-05-06 8:37 PM

2010-05-06 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2842624

Expert
Subject: RE: Bontrager aero race pack or other aero bottle?
Not trying to debate.  Just honestly want to know why a normal bottle won't work for you?
2010-05-06 8:39 PM

Oh yeah, duh, should have said that. I just got a new (used) tri bike with full aero bars. Being down in the bars and reaching down for the normal bottles is not the best in terms of safety, ease, time, etc. I have tried it now for a little and its just not the best. I realize that I will def. need one there for my HIM, I just wanted somehing easier while down in the bars to drink instead of reaching down. Sorry, should have mentioned that!
2010-05-06 8:47 PM

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
I just sold my Bontrager on ST yesterday. I liked it OK, but it was prone to splashing real bad. The pocket didn't really work for me too well...it's really, really close to the stem and doesn't leave room for much...either way, you'd be pressed to get more than about 2 gels in there, maybe a gel and a CO2 or something like that...

I'm about to pull the trigger on a PD Aqua Cell and I'll let you know how that works.

Kevin
2010-05-06 9:04 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Love my Bontrager and find it nowhere near as bad as the PD for spillage. I don't fill mine to the top, though. I put in ice and water, sometimes Nuun as well, and it will stay cool through the swim and bike of most of my sprint races.

Pocket is OK, close to the stem as Kevin said but usable. i wouldn't make my buying decision based on that, though.
2010-05-06 10:31 PM

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
I have the PD and really like having it right there when I'm on the aero bars. It does splash a bit but once you drink a little the splashing goes away. Really happy with it.

2010-05-06 10:32 PM

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
I have the PD and really like having it right there when I'm on the aero bars. It does splash a bit but once you drink a little the splashing goes away. Really happy with it.
2010-05-06 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Singapore
I have used mine for about a month and through one race. It works great and I now have no splashing. When I first got it the cap would seal tight and prevent the fluid from going back into the bottle. So the fluid would stay in the straw and splash all over. Once I noticed this I made sure the quick fill slot was open just a bit and it is no longer an issue. I have only used the pouch to hold my spare tube in a race. Any training rides my stuff is in my jersey pocket. The pouch is between the bottle and the straw. Hope this helps.
2010-05-07 9:45 AM

Subject: Aqua cell vs. Bontrager
Thanks for the replies. From the way it sounds, I might just go with the Bontrager setup. I really havent heard anything bad necessarily. I was even debating the aqua cell as one person mentioned, but it just looks huge! Anyone have any comments on that big guy?! I like the fact that its dual bottles so you can put 2 diff. liquids in there. But it just seems massive?!
2010-05-07 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
I also have the Bontrager and I have to agree with Bear....i love it!!  The first time I used it, I filled it all the way up with Gatorade and I had it coming out the top, the straw and all over me and my bike....very sticky!!!  Then I took his advice and only put 20 oz in it and put ice in it and never had any splashing since.

Yeah the pouch really doesn't work that great but the bottle is very good in my opinion.
2010-05-07 12:51 PM

New user
San Antonio
I have one also and like it.  I put a Camelbak bite valve on the end of straw so I don't have to draw on the straw to get liquid.  I am still fooling around with the best way to make sure the straw it positioned so I barely have to move to take a sip.  As it is normally, the straw points well below my chin so I really have to move out of my aero to get it or take a hand off of one of bars.  I'd like it if it's literally right next to my lips when I'm in the bars.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bontrager aero race pack or other aero bottle? Rss Feed